GCSE OCR 21st Century Triple Science (CBP1-7) Thread Watch

-sophia-
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by happydays507)
Ah, well that's 3 marks down the drain then... I spoke about the reverse in polarity every million of years resulting in a change in the overall magnetic field surrounding the Earth and the swap of the north/south pole etc etc... great
Yep i put that too
tigergirl8282
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ah, well that's 3 marks down the drain then... I spoke about the reverse in polarity every million of years resulting in a change in the overall magnetic field surrounding the Earth and the swap of the north/south pole etc etc... great
Ahaha I did the same, it's so annoying how a lot of the topics seem to overlap between Chem and Physics -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sulfur
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by tigergirl8282)
Ahaha I did the same, it's so annoying how a lot of the topics seem to overlap between Chem and Physics -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh I just spoke about how it's used to track the movement of the Earth and tells you the conditions that the rocks formed in when the ancient continents moved...?
Pandorax
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I checked the official OCR 21st century chemistry revision book, it says:'Geologists also use magnetic clues in rocks to track the very slow movements of the continents over the surface of the Earth.'(links to tectonic plates and continental drift?)
I can't remember what the question was exactly, but that is what it says about magnetic clues in the revision book
Sulfur
Rep:
?
Just some questions...

The equation one (where you drew them in), wasn't it just another hydrogen molecule (so two joined hydrogen atoms) and another hydrogen sulphide molecule (so sulphur joined to two hydrogen atoms)?
S2CH4 + 2H2 -----> 2H2S + CH4 I think.

For the biofuels (2 marks) I put that they are mostly carbon neutral so the CO2 from burning them is balanced by the rate of photosynthesis and that they're better for the environment - enough for 2 marks?

For the reaction forming CO2 + H2O (2 marks) I said that the conditions contained lots of O2 for complete combustion and that the carbon and hydrogen all reacted with the oxygen completely - enough for 2 marks?
ToLiveInADream
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sulfur)
Just some questions...

The equation one (where you drew them in), wasn't it just another hydrogen molecule (so two joined hydrogen atoms) and another hydrogen sulphide molecule (so sulphur joined to two hydrogen atoms)?
S2CH4 + 2H2 -----> 2H2S + CH4 I think.

For the biofuels (2 marks) I put that they are mostly carbon neutral so the CO2 from burning them is balanced by the rate of photosynthesis and that they're better for the environment - enough for 2 marks?

For the reaction forming CO2 + H2O (2 marks) I said that the conditions contained lots of O2 for complete combustion and that the carbon and hydrogen all reacted with the oxygen completely - enough for 2 marks?
I definitely drew in two extra hydrogen molecules so there were three overall and one other hydrogen sulphide molecules. I checked & balanced them and it was equal on both sides.

I said the same for biofuels bit added a bit about it being sustainable as there is no impact on the environment because I did a similar question before where you had to say something like that.

And yes I said the same. Lots of o2 and all of them reacted

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sulfur
Rep:
?
Any predictions on the grade boundaries? It's been between 35-38 in the past. I think it'll be 41 for an A* personally.
Pandorax
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ToLiveInADream)
I definitely drew in two extra hydrogen molecules so there were three overall and one other hydrogen sulphide molecules. I checked & balanced them and it was equal on both sides.

I said the same for biofuels bit added a bit about it being sustainable as there is no impact on the environment because I did a similar question before where you had to say something like that.

And yes I said the same. Lots of o2 and all of them reacted

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can't draw molecules stuff, so I guessed and put something similar to that?xD And for biosphere I said it was a renewable energy source, sustainable, won't run out whereas other source will and will have a great impact in the future if it does
physicalgraffiti
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hope the exam today went well with everyone I thought it was a nice exam (better than bio on Tuesday) but I don't wanna jinx it XD
physicalgraffiti
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm just hoping for hardly any data questions! Unless they ask us to work out simple things
Those darned data questions... ugh I wish they could just stick to the revision guide :P
physicalgraffiti
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The six markers were all quite awkward but what's annoying me the most is the general lack of science theory which I spent AGES revising when about 70% of the paper was data handling -.-
I agree 100%, what's the point of even revising anymore if the majority of the science exams just consist of analysing graphs and stuff
mehtj006.310
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It has to be oxidised as it will otherwise react with water vapour in the atmosphere to form acid rain which will harm the environment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
that is wrong. it has to be oxidised as it is a toxic gas.
ToLiveInADream
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mehtj006.310)
that is wrong. it has to be oxidised as it is a toxic gas.
I know, I commented about this earlier
mehtj006.310
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I know, I commented about this earlier
For concerns aabout nanoparticles. there are many answers.
The surface area is different to that of a larger particle.
could be harmful to humans.
could be toxic.
could enter the bloodstream and cause harm.
Jupers
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The electrolysis formed:

Chlorine gas
Hydrogen gas
Potassium hydroxide

The Government and 1/3 question:

1990-2000 was 12/37 which is just less than a 1/3
2000-2010 was 1/3
So, he is wrong, but partially correct.

For the nanoparticle safety one I said:

The long term effects aren't known
They are the same size as some molecules, so they can enter our DNA and alter it
2000-2010 was 12 to 6 (if I can remember) which is 1/2 isn't it..?

I found the biology exam a piece of cake, chemistry was okay, not the best. I'm really hoping for decent grades because my CA's were messed up, I got C's in chemistry and physics with no idea why. I tryed and thought I'd get atleast an A

Any tips for the physics? :P
Sulfur
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jupers)
2000-2010 was 12 to 6 (if I can remember) which is 1/2 isn't it..?

I found the biology exam a piece of cake, chemistry was okay, not the best. I'm really hoping for decent grades because my CA's were messed up, I got C's in chemistry and physics with no idea why. I tryed and thought I'd get atleast an A

Any tips for the physics? :P
No it was 1/3:

It was 0.4/1.2 which is the same as 4/12 = 1/3

I'm really not looking forward to this Physics exam... I find them quite difficult and they've been introducing more maths questions which is great, but I for some reason don't understand them as well as I should - and I took further maths too!
Salvus
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Studygeek16)
I found it easy too! But, I hated the first one, because I wrote that Kate was correct, as when buses travel faster, less oxygen is in the bus engine, so incomplete combustion takes place and more pollutants are produced, so therefore she was correct, but I think that science is completely wrong!!!
I also wrote Dom was correct, because of less cars- adjusting the balance between private and public transport or something like that, so I was contradicting myself, but I think I did okay on the other stuff on the paper
Bother were correct in one shape or form! I believe you have a possibility of getting the full 6 marks if you mention both.
superdarklord
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I said that it was a harmful gas so we needed to oxidise to get rid of it. Tbh I had no idea whether it was harmful or not but I had no idea what to say otherwise!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
superdarklord
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh sorry I'm new to the tsr and I tried to reply to somebody but it didn't exactly work
I think in the future I'll need to quote them in, sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pandorax
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
..;w;..I'm really not looking forward to Physics..I can't do P1,P2,P3 at all. DX I was moved up from 2nd set to 1st set, and they were on fast track type thing and had already done P1 and P2 and were halfway through P3..I also suck at maths which doesn't help x_x Hopefully it will be similar to the format of the other two, like conclusions and data for the long answered questions x_x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (44)
12.32%
Yes - a food allergy (39)
10.92%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (11)
3.08%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
2.52%
No (254)
71.15%

Watched Threads