GCSE OCR 21st Century Triple Science (CBP1-7) Thread Watch

superstar16
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i really want an A* overall for additional science. i have a really high A* in coursework and i think i would get about 45 for biology and 34 for chemistry and if i get about 40 for physics, can i still get an A* overall??
Sulfur
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by fewik)
weren't a and b similar because they're both acids so they give a low ph reading and both hydrochloric acid and sulfuric acid produce hydrogen when reacting with metals.
also c was different because Hcl wouldn't produce a precipitate when sulfuric acid would. And vice versa for d (sulfuric acid wouldn't produce a precipitate with silver.

What were your observations?
They were all worth 3 marks each, so 6 overall which makes me wonder if they'd accept your opinion? `

I said that A was different because they'd produce a different pH because they would be of different acidity (they both can't be 1.51, 1.90 etc). I also said B was different because HCl would react faster than H2SO4.

For C and D I just wrote "They produce a white precipitate when they react". I had no idea.
cupcakes16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can anyone remember what the C6 six marker was?
DDan123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The ABCD question was 6 marks so I guess if you didn't write which ones were similar and different correctly, that's all 6 marks gone??

Posted from TSR Mobile
cupcakes16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DDan123)
The ABCD question was 6 marks so I guess if you didn't write which ones were similar and different correctly, that's all 6 marks gone??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep
Sulfur
Rep:
?
(Original post by cupcakes16)
Yep

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not necessarily - we don't know the mark scheme and it appears that you could give evidence for both sides.
cupcakes16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sulfur)
Not necessarily - we don't know the mark scheme and it appears that you could give evidence for both sides.
Do you think the grade boundaries will be slightly lower?
Magnesium
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They were all worth 3 marks each, so 6 overall which makes me wonder if they'd accept your opinion? `

I said that A was different because they'd produce a different pH because they would be of different acidity (they both can't be 1.51, 1.90 etc). I also said B was different because HCl would react faster than H2SO4.

For C and D I just wrote "They produce a white precipitate when they react". I had no idea.
I said A and B were the same since A gives a pH reading of below 7 for both and B produces a salt and hydrogen in both.

I said C and D were different because they both produced a white precipitate with one of the acids but then had no reaction with the other.

What did you put for the ions in the different acids question?
I put H+ and Cl- for Hydrochloric acid and then H+ and SO42- for the sulfuric acid
Sulfur
Rep:
?
Do you think the grade boundaries will be slightly lower?
41 last June and it was easy in my opinion, so hopefully.
Magnesium
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can anyone remember what the C6 six marker was?
Rates of reaction with the graph measuring time against mass lost
Sulfur
Rep:
?
(Original post by Magnesium)
I said A and B were the same since A gives a pH reading of below 7 for both and B produces a salt and hydrogen in both.

I said C and D were different because they both produced a white precipitate with one of the acids but then had no reaction with the other.

What did you put for the ions in the different acids question?
I put H+ and Cl- for Hydrochloric acid and then H+ and SO42- for the sulfuric acid
I put that for the ion question
JazzyT17
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I put proton and electron for postive, negative will I still get 1 mark? Was it out of 2? Also the last question i put oH- and then so4 2- would I get one mark?
Magnesium
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I put that for the ion question
Ah good, I found the paper overall was pretty good actually, quite happy
DDan123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hmmm I hope so. After the exam I was feeling really confident of getting an a* in this paper. But losing 6 mark due to misinterpreting the question I found the rest of the exam good though, wbu??
Magnesium
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JazzyT17)
I put proton and electron for postive, negative will I still get 1 mark? Was it out of 2? Also the last question i put oH- and then so4 2- would I get one mark?
You'd get 1 mark for the electron one I think and no marks for the ion question because i think it was 2 ions in each box and you would have need 2 correct in atleast one box to get 1 mark. I'm assuming the ion question was out of 2 marks?
hello019
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
how many marks was the last question worth?
and for the abcd question what were the two reasons that were given for cd being similar?
Sulfur
Rep:
?
(Original post by JazzyT17)
Yup 1/2.
The last question required H+ and Cl- for HCl and H+ (2x?) and SO42- for the H2SO4
So if you got 2/4 of these you should get 1/2 marks.

Hmmm I hope so. After the exam I was feeling really confident of getting an a* in this paper. But losing 6 mark due to misinterpreting the question I found the rest of the exam good though, wbu??
Exact same feelings - messed up stupid and simple questions though.
cupcakes16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Magnesium)
Rates of reaction with the graph measuring time against mass lost
What did u write for it?
Magnesium
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For the rates of reaction 6 marker, did anyone put that the rate of reaction was fast at first because of the high concentration and large surface area of the zinc metal and then it decreased at B because some of the reactants were used up and then it stopped at C because all the reactants had been used up in the collisions and there were no more reactions to be made by the collisions? or something along those lines
Magnesium
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What did u write for it?
I just answered this below your post
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Further education
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (61)
8.5%
I used to but I don't now (17)
2.37%