Emperor Sheev
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello there, I am a little bit confused as to whether an organic reaction involving (nucleophilic?) substation or elimination involves a nucleophile or a base. So what i need to know is how to distinguish between the two? as i tend to lose marks when it asks to identify in AQA AS level Chemistry Unit 2. Thanks in advance
EierVonSatan
Badges: 21
Report 5 years ago
A strong base is usually a good nucleophile, it's not one or the other.
Emperor Sheev
Rep:
?
(Original post by EierVonSatan)
A strong base is usually a good nucleophile, it's not one or the other.
I understand what you are saying but there are questions that crop up such as: "What is the role of the hydroxide ion in the reaction?" and they except an answer like "it is a base" and they explicitly state that they do not accept nucleophile as an answer. Why is this?
EierVonSatan
Badges: 21
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jatyization)
I understand what you are saying but there are questions that crop up such as: "What is the role of the hydroxide ion in the reaction?" and they except an answer like "it is a base" and they explicitly state that they do not accept nucleophile as an answer. Why is this?
The question is asking about the role that the species is playing in a given reaction.

If it's an elimination of HCl from a haloalkane - then OH- is acting as a base (by removing a proton)

If it's a nucleophilic substituion of a haloalkane - then OH- is acting as a nucleophile

So it can act as either (determined by reaction conditions) and you have to decide which In reality the two are in competition and you get a bit of both, but with careful control one is much favoured over the other.
Emperor Sheev
Rep:
?
(Original post by EierVonSatan)
The question is asking about the role that the species is playing in a given reaction.

If it's an elimination of HCl from a haloalkane - then OH- is acting as a base (by removing a proton)

If it's a nucleophilic substituion of a haloalkane - then OH- is acting as a nucleophile

So it can act as either (determined by reaction conditions) and you have to decide which In reality the two are in competition and you get a bit of both, but with careful control one is much favoured over the other.
Oh right! okay that makes it so much more clearer... Thanks i appreciate the help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (277)
15.42%
Uncertainty around my education (281)
15.65%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (178)
9.91%
Isolating with family (127)
7.07%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (80)
4.45%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (150)
8.35%
Loneliness (177)
9.86%
Financial worries (74)
4.12%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (165)
9.19%
Exposure to negative news/social media (128)
7.13%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (159)
8.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed