The Student Room Group

how do you afford it?

As a person going into studying adult nursing this year (2014) i am currently in the process of applying for my halls, student finance and bursary.

as i am now totting up the costs and the income i can see that the outgoings are more than the income and thats not including food or social stuff.

anyone have any suggestions that is currently studying healthcare?
Unfortunately the student bursary for nhs courses has decreased dramatically over the past few years.
Many students on these courses also work part time where possible to cover costs.
You can claim back expenses for travel and accommodation when on placement etc providing that they are more than what it would ordinarily cost you to get to university.
I know nursing is an intensive course, but looking at agency / bank work may be your only option to ensure you can have a roof over your head as well as afford to eat.
Work a lot over the summer if possible and save up. then budget like crazy when you do start uni, :smile:
I worked on the bank most weekends, even when I was on placement. Fri and sat nights were the high earning shifts so I pretty much did that for my whole training.

Quick Reply

Latest