Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am in a real dilemna. I have been accepted to Winchester Uni to study Primary Education in 2014. I am in, I have taken all the tests ect. However, recently I have been having second thoughts. The reason I chose to study this course was because I did a 2 week work placement in a village primary school and really enjoyed it. I was inspired by my neighbour was is a primary school teacher and just believed I could be really good at it and enjoy it as a future career. However, always in the back of my mind...I have thought to myself...is this really what I want to do?

My ambition is animals. I love being with animals and I am passionate about animal welfare. However, I was never very good at science and so I didn't take science at A-level. I took English Literature, Psychology and Photography. I just went through my studies believing I was going to be a teacher.

I am at my most happiest state when I am with animals. I love caring for them, bathing, exercising, feeding them...anything. I love learning about them just everything about animals gives me joy.

I have been looking at apprenticeships to do with animal care. This would mean I don't go to university. Is this a big mistake? Would I be making a silly decision? Money isnt everything, but there are not a huge number of jobs in animal-care as there are teaching. ~

What should I do? I am panicking as I start in September

ReputationRep:
    First of all, you need to ask yourself why you are feeling like this, if teaching has been your passion for so long, what has changed?

As you have said, you didn't take science so becoming a vet or something similar is out of the question without these qualifications. Maybe you could volunteer at an animal shelter to get some work experience and find out if that is what you really want to do.

You can withdraw from your course at any time so do not feel like you need to make some hasty decisions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JennyGoldring)
    I am in a real dilemna. I have been accepted to Winchester Uni to study Primary Education in 2014. I am in, I have taken all the tests ect. However, recently I have been having second thoughts. The reason I chose to study this course was because I did a 2 week work placement in a village primary school and really enjoyed it. I was inspired by my neighbour was is a primary school teacher and just believed I could be really good at it and enjoy it as a future career. However, always in the back of my mind...I have thought to myself...is this really what I want to do?

My ambition is animals. I love being with animals and I am passionate about animal welfare. However, I was never very good at science and so I didn't take science at A-level. I took English Literature, Psychology and Photography. I just went through my studies believing I was going to be a teacher.

I am at my most happiest state when I am with animals. I love caring for them, bathing, exercising, feeding them...anything. I love learning about them just everything about animals gives me joy.

I have been looking at apprenticeships to do with animal care. This would mean I don't go to university. Is this a big mistake? Would I be making a silly decision? Money isnt everything, but there are not a huge number of jobs in animal-care as there are teaching. ~

Hey, I know it's tough committing to a choice. Honestly, if you passed the tests and interviews, you probably have the aptitude to be a teacher. You also enjoyed your teaching experience , which means you also have the right attitude to be a good teacher.
    Being a vet, or anything involved in animal welfare is considerably different compared to teaching.

You have a few options, one of them is to take a gap year(which can be spent doing an apprenticeship) and reapply for animal welfare studies or Vet Med. Another is to try and do some attachments at the farm/animal shelter while you are doing your course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JennyGoldring)

Is this for a BEd primary or PGCE? If it BEd I would defer and see if you can have a year out to consider your options. I don't think you should commit to a teaching degree without being sure - you don't want to be in debt with student loans and fees etc without having anything to show for it!
    If its the PGCE then definitely reconsider - its a huge undertaking so you need to be committed. If you have been accepted and have all the tests in place then you are obviously a good candidate and would be likely to get a place in the future if you decided this was for you.

As for the animal pathway - get some experience, get some advice, go to college open days and go for it. As an apprentice you will be learning on the job and getting paid. There are lots of options and ultimately you could end up owning your own business.

Although you are panicking about September it is a few months away so take your time to consider, don't rush a decision and keep your place until you are 100% sure

Good luck with whatever you decide!

PS I'm 40 this year and have come back to studying - its never too late. I've had a fab career and loved my work but feel its time for a change. So no regrets but at the same time never too late to start something new!

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.