The Student Room Group

How much notice- no contract?

Where i work, there are at least 25 of us, a few of which are bank staff. 75% of us dont even have contracts, even us permanent staff. The only people who do have contracts are the very few who have been there years or 2 people who begged for a contract due to buying a house or renewing a mortgage.
Basically last week, over the bank holiday weekend, a colleague who works in another room walked out. Well actually she announced that she wouldnt be coming back after the bank holiday. She had had a kerfuffle with the manager, as she was bank staff and was being made permanent but when she asked she was told she wouldnt get a contract and her pay day wouldnt be changed to be the same as us permanent staff so she still wouldnt get holiday pay etc. So she walked out. The manager had a bag on about this and told the rest of us to "not get any ideas about just walking out" etc especially so close to ofsted.
A lot of others (including me) are also looking for jobs. But where does everyone stand?
We dont have contracts (well most of us dont). Most of us without contracts would be nice enough to give some kind of notice- but what notice would we give? And (assuming we wherent bothered about references etc) would we be able to "just not come back"?
I would give 4 weeks tbh
Original post by The pencil one
I would give 4 weeks tbh

With jobs ive applied for- whenever application forms have asked ive put 4 weeks. But i suppose im nice like that. Plus id like to think the manager would give me a reference (although i have at least 2 others who would give references if need be).
But others have said that technically we dont need to give anything as we dont have contracts, and they have mentioned that they would give only 1 weeks notice. Some have mentioned not giving any at all. Seeing as we have no contracts (and have never been told at any point how much notice we would need to give) would they be allowed to do this?
Original post by Emma:-)
With jobs ive applied for- whenever application forms have asked ive put 4 weeks. But i suppose im nice like that. Plus id like to think the manager would give me a reference (although i have at least 2 others who would give references if need be).
But others have said that technically we dont need to give anything as we dont have contracts, and they have mentioned that they would give only 1 weeks notice. Some have mentioned not giving any at all. Seeing as we have no contracts (and have never been told at any point how much notice we would need to give) would they be allowed to do this?

Not entirely sure tbh, in my first job I was at a hospital and I didn't have a contract for some reason but I had to give 4 weeks notice.

If you have references elsewhere, then you can just leave tbh or give 1 week
You do not have contracts therefore they are screwing you over to their advantage. You are not legally 'permanent staff' and have no obligation to give any notice whatsoever. Why bother with politeness when effectively they are using you? Unless you need the references I would not bother, what an unscrupulous company you work for!!
Original post by Emma:-)
Where i work, there are at least 25 of us, a few of which are bank staff. 75% of us dont even have contracts, even us permanent staff. The only people who do have contracts are the very few who have been there years or 2 people who begged for a contract due to buying a house or renewing a mortgage.
Basically last week, over the bank holiday weekend, a colleague who works in another room walked out. Well actually she announced that she wouldnt be coming back after the bank holiday. She had had a kerfuffle with the manager, as she was bank staff and was being made permanent but when she asked she was told she wouldnt get a contract and her pay day wouldnt be changed to be the same as us permanent staff so she still wouldnt get holiday pay etc. So she walked out. The manager had a bag on about this and told the rest of us to "not get any ideas about just walking out" etc especially so close to ofsted.
A lot of others (including me) are also looking for jobs. But where does everyone stand?
We dont have contracts (well most of us dont). Most of us without contracts would be nice enough to give some kind of notice- but what notice would we give? And (assuming we wherent bothered about references etc) would we be able to "just not come back"?

There is some helpful advice for you here (not looked closely, but it seems that once you have worked for a month, you must give 1 week's notice - or longer if your employment contract states a longer period):

https://www.gov.uk/handing-in-your-notice-resigning-leaving-job
Reply 6
Statutory notice periods are:

1 day - less than 1 month employed
1 week - 1 month to 2 years employed
1 week per full year employed - 2 years+

Whoever said that without a contract, you have no right to notice is also incorrect. The above apply UNLESS there is a written contract stating a longer notice period than I've given.

I also would strongly advise against stating a 4 week notice period on applications as this is actually quite long. It may put off prospective employers which will only end in you doing yourself a disservice by not getting the best position possible. 1/2 weeks is far less of a problem and most employers would be happy to wait.
Reply 7
Give the minimum if it suits you, which is probably no notice at all.

Obviously it's nice to give notice, so if you find out you're got another job a few weeks in advance then let them know. But considering the company is avoiding giving you a contract and therefore screwing you over for job security (you can guarantee they would give you minimum notice if it suited them to get rid of you), I see no reason why you should disadvantage yourself by not doing the same. A company that doesn't treat it's employees well deserves no loyalty.
Depends on what terms you want to leave on, if you need a good reference I'd give notice.
Id probably give 2 weeks (which is the same as my sunday job) but thats it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending