AQA Geography A Tuesday 13th May Watch

Dave8991
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
How are you feeling about the physical paper fellow AQA geographers? Do you reckon it will be harder than in previous years?
JamesGibson
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I feel okay about the exam. I've got a pretty good knowledge of all the case studies, I just hope I'm able to explain all of the geographical processes to the detail that the examiners require.

I'm aiming for an A* and got 59/60 in my coursework.
rend
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am not ready at all im so terrified im doing the restless earth. water on the land and coastal zone I just feel like I don't know enough:eek:
Dave8991
Rep:
?
(Original post by JamesGibson)
I'm feel okay about the exam. I've got a pretty good knowledge of all the case studies, I just hope I'm able to explain all of the geographical processes to the detail that the examiners require.

I'm aiming for an A* and got 59/60 in my coursework.
Well done! Yeah I think I need to revise my case studies in more depth :/ what topics are you doing?
JamesGibson
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Restless Earth, Water on the Land, The Coastal Zone
Hertz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Got an A in coursework and I'm working at a B/A what will my coursework bring it up to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Marcusroye98
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello Ive done loads of end of topic tests and mock exams and ive been getting around 62/75 , is that enough for an A*?
Dave8991
Rep:
?
Restless Earth, Water on the Land, The Coastal Zone
I'm doing Restless Earth and Coastal Zone too (which I HATE)
Dave8991
Rep:
?
(Original post by rend)
I am not ready at all im so terrified im doing the restless earth. water on the land and coastal zone I just feel like I don't know enough:eek:
same here
JamesGibson
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Marcusroye98)
Hello Ive done loads of end of topic tests and mock exams and ive been getting around 62/75 , is that enough for an A*?
62 would be 85%. So, if you could get 62 marks in both your physical and human tests and then get 52+ marks in your coursework - you'd almost certainly get an A*.

The grade boundary for an A* in AQA Geography is usually between 80-85%.

Good luck!
Dave8991
Rep:
?
It's enough for an A* on the physical paper! not on the human one.
Marcusroye98
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
62 would be 85%. So, if you could get 62 marks in both your physical and human tests and then get 52+ marks in your coursework - you'd almost certainly get an A*.

The grade boundary for an A* in AQA Geography is usually between 80-85%.

Good luck!
I got 53 on the coursework, I want an A*! (
Marcusroye98
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Dave8991)
It's enough for an A* on the physical paper! not on the human one.
How many marks do you need on human? oh!! i forgot about the spelling and grammar xD
JamesGibson
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I should mention that there are an extra 9 marks on the human paper for spelling and grammar. So to get that A*, you'd also need to have well written answers - but if you're working at an A* anyway, I wouldn't think that would be too much of an issue.
Marcusroye98
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I should mention that there are an extra 9 marks on the human paper for spelling and grammar. So to get that A*, you'd also need to have well written answers - but if you're working at an A* anyway, I wouldn't think that would be too much of an issue.
on the restless earth; i think earthquakes are going to come up and a volcanic eruption will be the case study
JamesGibson
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
on the restless earth; i think earthquakes are going to come up and a volcanic eruption will be the case study
Well, it's unlikely that they are going to ask about the same case study in a short few year period - so you might very well be right.

2013's 8 mark question was on a Tsunami case study.
2012's 8 mark question was on ocean trenches and fold mountains.
2011's 8 mark question was on a fold mountain case study (the Alps).

So, just by the process of deduction, there's a limited number of options that could come up.I'm thinking either a volcanic eruption like you said, or a question on a single earthquake in either an LEDC or an MEDC.
Marcusroye98
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well, it's unlikely that they are going to ask about the same case study in a short few year period - so you might very well be right.

2013's 8 mark question was on a Tsunami case study.
2012's 8 mark question was on ocean trenches and fold mountains.
2011's 8 mark question was on a fold mountain case study (the Alps).

So, just by the process of deduction, there's a limited number of options that could come up.I'm thinking either a volcanic eruption like you said, or a question on a single earthquake in either an LEDC or an MEDC.
Questions about volcanoes have come up so i think we will get questions about how an earthquake occus. There may be one about the mercalli scale or rhicter scale
I dont have a clue for water on the land!
Marcusroye98
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I was wondering, for the case studies. Is it best to make 3 points in detail or like 6 points in not much detail?
lawrencefrape1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You don't need 80-85% to get an A*. Last year it was mid 70s.
Marcusroye98
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lawrencefrape1)
You don't need 80-85% to get an A*. Last year it was mid 70s.
Thanks I thoght 85 % seemed a bit high! it may be because a lot of schools took the physical paper in year 10...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (38)
10%
I used to but I don't now (12)
3.16%
No, but I want to start (137)
36.05%
No, I am unable to (86)
22.63%
No, I chose not to (107)
28.16%