Will my a level results affect my chances of an apprenticeship? Watch

anyezalexa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm really worried about my A levels, even though I definitely don't want to go to uni in the near future. I got C U B E at AS level and I'm not expecting much better at a2 even with resits. However, I do know that I really want to do some kind of apprenticeship and I was just wondering if my a level results will hinder my chances in the future?
georgeheal
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by anyezalexa)
I'm really worried about my A levels, even though I definitely don't want to go to uni in the near future. I got C U B E at AS level and I'm not expecting much better at a2 even with resits. However, I do know that I really want to do some kind of apprenticeship and I was just wondering if my a level results will hinder my chances in the future?
They might do. But then they mightGB not. Just depden on which sort of cn schmen you are on

Posted from TSR Mobile
i'mlaura
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A lot of apprenticeships look at A-level grades because they are so competitive.
1drowssap
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It depends. What kind of apprenticeship do you want to do? You should direct that question to any future companies that you want to work with, and see what they want as pre-requisites. You can then plan your options from there.
Jkizer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Some places show a bit of leniency. E.g. Someone got an accounting apprenticeship despite not getting his A in maths, since they liked him in the interview + summer training

Though apprenticeship schemes tend to ask for regions around BBB mark.
anyezalexa
Rep:
?
(Original post by 1drowssap)
It depends. What kind of apprenticeship do you want to do? You should direct that question to any future companies that you want to work with, and see what they want as pre-requisites. You can then plan your options from there.
Well I'm applying for mainly intermediate level apprenticeships anyway, which are level 2 right? I'm looking at anything medical/healthcare related, or with children in schools. Thankyou for your help
anyezalexa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jkizer)
Some places show a bit of leniency. E.g. Someone got an accounting apprenticeship despite not getting his A in maths, since they liked him in the interview + summer training

Though apprenticeship schemes tend to ask for regions around BBB mark.
Even at intermediate level? Advanced and higher are the level 3 and 4 ones so those are the ones that I thought would look at A level results
Jkizer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Even at intermediate level? Advanced and higher are the level 3 and 4 ones so those are the ones that I thought would look at A level results
Hmm you mention sort of social / medical apprenticeships which could work in your favour, if you have a good amount of work experience anyways. Im not too much on all these sort of levels of apprenticeships.

They do look at a levels as a basis as i see it, but if you have good interview/training days with them, they might just overlook it, if you do not quite meet the grades (Similar to university/work placements)
anyezalexa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jkizer)
Hmm you mention sort of social / medical apprenticeships which could work in your favour, if you have a good amount of work experience anyways. Im not too much on all these sort of levels of apprenticeships.

They do look at a levels as a basis as i see it, but if you have good interview/training days with them, they might just overlook it, if you do not quite meet the grades (Similar to university/work placements)
My work experience is limited, I did some volunteering in a charity shop and have done temporary things here and there, but there are gaps in my employment, and haven't ever actually had a part time job. But I am SO willing to learn and I don't have any problems with working hard. It's just the a level structure of learning and examination makes me really nervous and doesn't quite work for me, but I know that I am more than capable since I did well in my GCSE'S. I just hope that I'm given the chance to show i'm capable to any employers
1drowssap
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well I'm applying for mainly intermediate level apprenticeships anyway, which are level 2 right? I'm looking at anything medical/healthcare related, or with children in schools. Thankyou for your help
I'm just giving it a shot in the dark, but would doing a Higher National Diploma (HND) help? I'm not too sure of the entry requirements though. A HND for a specific field like healthcare, or teaching would definitely be more relevant than A levels, and that is a way to 'make up' for that. On a sidenote, if you do have the time, maybe you could do BTECs that are more relevant for your apprenticeship, and can also 'make up' for any poor A level results. If I were in your position, and I knew I wasn't going to do so well for the A levels, I would try to get some qualifications that could show that I was suitable for that apprenticeship.

Maybe you could ask a career guidance teacher in your sixth form or college about your possible options regarding apprenticeship.
Sorry I can't be of further help.
anyezalexa
Rep:
?
(Original post by 1drowssap)
I'm just giving it a shot in the dark, but would doing a Higher National Diploma (HND) help? I'm not too sure of the entry requirements though. A HND for a specific field like healthcare, or teaching would definitely be more relevant than A levels, and that is a way to 'make up' for that. On a sidenote, if you do have the time, maybe you could do BTECs that are more relevant for your apprenticeship, and can also 'make up' for any poor A level results. If I were in your position, and I knew I wasn't going to do so well for the A levels, I would try to get some qualifications that could show that I was suitable for that apprenticeship.

Maybe you could ask a career guidance teacher in your sixth form or college about your possible options regarding apprenticeship.
Sorry I can't be of further help.
Thankyou so much for your advice, the careers and apprenticeship advisers at my college are terrible so I didn't know where else to ask. I think if I don't hear anything back from the apprenticeships I've applied for it may be worth reapplying to college and doing a BTEC in health and social care or something along those lines. I suppose I'm just in a rush to leave the typical education system to get into work, but I get that it isn't always that easy. Thankyou very much
1drowssap
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thankyou so much for your advice, the careers and apprenticeship advisers at my college are terrible so I didn't know where else to ask. I think if I don't hear anything back from the apprenticeships I've applied for it may be worth reapplying to college and doing a BTEC in health and social care or something along those lines. I suppose I'm just in a rush to leave the typical education system to get into work, but I get that it isn't always that easy. Thankyou very much
No problem. Just think of the years you will spend doing BTECs/HND as part of your training for the profession. Getting these qualifications may make the difference in terms of opening doors for your career in a particular profession, and you certainly do not want to limit your options before you start work, so I guess that getting a HND/BTECs would certainly be worth your while.
Maybe you could ask your seniors that have graduated for contacts in the healthcare industry as well, so that you could talk to the necessary people. For teaching, you could ask your teachers who to talk to regarding an apprenticeship.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (487)
79.97%
Leave (122)
20.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed