The Student Room Group

M1 help :(

Can somebody help me .I'm losing the will to live .The mark scheme doesn't explain much -.- :frown: ImageUploadedByStudent Room1399823472.045086.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by livealittle
Can somebody help me .I'm losing the will to live .The mark scheme doesn't explain much

Can you put up your working for the parts that you've done? Without that, it's impossible to tell what you're having trouble with.
Can somebody help me .I'm losing the will to live .The mark scheme doesn't explain much -.- :frown: ImageUploadedByStudent Room1399823472.045086.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

use exam solutions. they have worked video solutions, google it :P
How far did you get? Do you understand that when they hit each other they 'coalesce', meaning they 'come together' and move (to the right), so you should get:

Momentum before = momentum after

(0.7*4)+(0.3*1)=(0.7+0.3)v

Then just rearrange and work out v.

Not sure about the rest, damn the other two parts seem hard! Is this Mechanics 1B? That's what i'm doing, this seems a bit harder.
Reply 4

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by sadeqrahman
How far did you get? Do you understand that when they hit each other they 'coalesce', meaning they 'come together' and move (to the right), so you should get:

Momentum before = momentum after

(0.7*4)+(0.3*1)=(0.7+0.3)v

Then just rearrange and work out v.

Not sure about the rest, damn the other two parts seem hard! Is this Mechanics 1B? That's what i'm doing, this seems a bit harder.

Hi!

Firstly, what sadeqrahman was doing is right, however it does not take into account the speeds - they decelerate, so at impact P is only travelling at (v=4+((-0.4)*2)) 3.2m/s, and Q at (v=1+((-0.4)*2)) 0.2m/s. Other than that, it is basically right - just replace the values.

Secondly, for (ii)(a) you need to take the acceleration as your gradient and the initial velocity as your c. For both they are accelerating at a negative amount (deceleration) so you end up with:

(P) y = -0.4x + 4

(Q) y = -0.4x + 1

Plotting these should give you two graphs which tell you the velocities. One thing you need to be aware of, however is that the force is due to friction - so when they go to -ve velocities, just draw across - friction will not decelerate from 0m/s.

With these graphs you can work out the distance travelled by each. Just work out the area below the lines, or use s=ut+1/2at^2. For P you should get

s = (4*3)+(1/2)(-0.4)(3^2)
s = 12-(0.2*9)
s = 10.2m

and for Q, as it goes to 0 and is linear just take the average velocity ((1+0)/2), and multiply by the time (3 seconds) to get 1.5m. Add 10.2 and 1.5 to get the total distance between them of 11.7m

(Edit: On part b I just realised you would multiply it by 2.5 seconds, so it would be 1.25m instead, gaining 11.45m.)

(Please Note: What I have said may be completely wrong - I am still doing GCSEs and have not properly started the course and this is just from preliminary readings)

Good luck!

Two Planes (ThatPerson2).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ThatPerson2
Hi!

Firstly, what sadeqrahman was doing is right, however it does not take into account the speeds - they decelerate, so at impact P is only travelling at (v=4+((-0.4)*2)) 3.2m/s, and Q at (v=1+((-0.4)*2)) 0.2m/s. Other than that, it is basically right - just replace the values.

Secondly, for (ii)(a) you need to take the acceleration as your gradient and the initial velocity as your c. For both they are accelerating at a negative amount (deceleration) so you end up with:

(P) y = -0.4x + 4

(Q) y = -0.4x + 1

Plotting these should give you two graphs which tell you the velocities. One thing you need to be aware of, however is that the force is due to friction - so when they go to -ve velocities, just draw across - friction will not decelerate from 0m/s.

With these graphs you can work out the distance travelled by each. Just work out the area below the lines, or use s=ut+1/2at^2. For P you should get

s = 12-(0.2*9)
s = 10.2m

and for Q, as it goes to 0 and is linear just take the average velocity ((1+0)/2), and multiply by the time (3 seconds) to get 1.5m. Add 10.2 and 1.5 to get the total distance between them of 11.7m

(Please Note: What I have said may be completely wrong - I am still doing GCSEs and have not properly started the course and this is just from preliminary readings)

Good luck!

Somebody's got a bit too much time on their hands - lol :wink: You Genius.
Reply 6
Original post by sadeqrahman
Somebody's got a bit too much time on their hands - lol :wink: You Genius.

:P Thanks.
Reply 7
Original post by ThatPerson2
Hi!

(P) y = -0.4x + 4

(Q) y = -0.4x + 1

s = 12-(0.2*9)
s = 10.2m

(Edit: On part b I just realised you would multiply it by 2.5 seconds, so it would be 1.25m instead, gaining 11.45m.)

Good luck!

Ohh damn conservation of momentum :O
Only just realised.I don't know what the hell I was thinking !

Posted from TSR Mobile
part ii isn't as complicated as it looks.
The question asks for a sketch so you don't really need equations for the lines just the initial velocity and final velocity of each particle (v = u + at)
Since they are moving in opposite directions, the velocity of the second particle ought to be shown as starting from -1 and approaching 0
It is important to note that the second particle stops before the collision and calculate the time at which that happens (2.5 s)
Then the total area between the lines provides the distance travelled by the 2 particles and hence the distance they were apart. One is a trapezium the other is a triangle. Alternatively the distance can be calculated with suvat equations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest