Stalled at lights Watch

Sabstars
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm hoping I'm not in any immediate trouble over this, but I feel I need to put my mind at ease and ask for people's opinions.

Earlier on when I was driving home from work I was stopped at a red light. I managed to stall the car as the lights turned green light and the car juddered just over the line. Before I could get going again the lights went back to red (these lights will only let a few vehicles through at a time before changing). There was nobody behind me and it wasn't a pedestrian crossing. I backed up and waited again but I noticed there was a police vehicle coming from the opposite direction. I presume they saw me stall (probably had a laugh over it more than anything - I'd rather they saw me stall and unintentionally jolt forward than assume I'd ran a light and stopped over the line) I'm a bit concerned that I've done something that would warrant a penalty. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. If I was in trouble, would the police pull me up on it there and then, or would I expect a letter in the post?

I've only just got the car and started driving on my own. I drove a Diesel for lessons and it was a lot smoother to get going. I've been alright with it par this incident, but it's knocked my confidence a little bit. :/ I'd rather know what people's opinions were on it.

*just thought I'd add, I wasn't in the path of any oncoming traffic as there is a gap between the lights and the junction.
ChrisHarris1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Quite literally worried over nothing

Creeping over a line is not the same as running it

Often you can overshoot the line, and if safe to do so, reverse back out
Paula Smith 1990
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It does not sound like a problem to me. If you had done something wrong I am sure the feds would have had a word.

Everybody stalls occasionally - its all part of the learning process, as is recovering from a stall, which you appear to have done successfully.
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You didn't go over the line when the light was red. You made a mistake in stalling, but the light was green at that point. And stalling is only an issue if it was dangerous- but it sounds like it wasnt as you weren't in anyone's way

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You are worrying over NOTHING! Seriously! Chill
Y333EEE
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You're worrying over nothing, you made a mistake. If you'd gone through them when they were red then they would've pulled you, but otherwise you just made a mistake, you're human, like everyone else
nemothefish19
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The police would pull you up on it but sounds like you did nothing wrong so i wouldn't worry about it.

As for the confidence bit, my friend gave me some advice which is to spend some time in your car and get to know its biting point and do this in whichever car you drive because each car's biting point is different......helped me to not stall anymore and now it only happens occasionally.
Pegasus2
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Actually, they really have better things to be doing and they're not ogres.

By law, you went through on green so it doesn't matter anyway. People misjudge stopping on amber (when they probs should have gone through) and pass the line before the light goes red as well it's not a problem.
ChrisHarris1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nemothefish19)
The police would pull you up on it but sounds like you did nothing wrong so i wouldn't worry about it.

As for the confidence bit, my friend gave me some advice which is to spend some time in your car and get to know its biting point and do this in whichever car you drive because each car's biting point is different......helped me to not stall anymore and now it only happens occasionally.
Have you met the police ?

And this isn't even illegal. It's safer to reverse than remain in place as you misjudged the timing
nemothefish19
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ChrisHarris1)
Have you met the police ?

And this isn't even illegal. It's safer to reverse than remain in place as you misjudged the timing
No and what i meant was that if a person did something wrong driving wise and the police witnessed it, then i would have thought they would pull you up on it? If i'm wrong then forget what i said.
h4mza
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The police also stalled at some point in their life.
Joeey009
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Lol its fine i know a idiot that stops like a metre after the stop line.
ChrisHarris1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nemothefish19)
No and what i meant was that if a person did something wrong driving wise and the police witnessed it, then i would have thought they would pull you up on it? If i'm wrong then forget what i said.
Police won't pull you up on minor traffic infarctions , it's not worth their time

Merely overshooting the line then reversing back is just correcting an error

You'd have to be doing something really stupid to be pulled up
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (156)
45.75%
Pro-humanity (185)
54.25%

Watched Threads