The Student Room Group

Housewives?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Flourishanddecay
It depend upon how you look at it really, you wouldn't nessaserily be their employee as you would be equal partners, I don't think anyone actually understands how difficult it actually is to be a housewife?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's difficult and degrading.
Original post by Flourishanddecay
Seriously ? Just because someone may choose to be a housewife does not mean that they will be of less intellectual value, it's just a choice as to what people wish to do in life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Their life would involve no intellectual stimulation - just doing over the course of a whole day what a normal couple can achieve in evenings and weekends.
Even so the amount of money housewives/husbands save is good in the long term, think of the costs for babysitting children, dry cleaning etc. although there is no real intellectual stimulation it doesn't nessaserily mean that the housewife is of less intellectual value

Posted from TSR Mobile
I respect the choice for both so long as it is a choice, though it's not for me.
I have to confess I feel quite jealous of women in this regard.

While I probably wouldn't choose the lifestyle, I wish I had the option. I feel that we have reached a point where women are privileged to have the choice - perhaps for the first generation ever - to truly have the complete choice as to whether to pursue a career, or stay at home with the children, without too much judgement being placed upon them.

Men aren't in that place yet, and probably won't be for at least another generation or two. House husbands do exist, but are disparaged and sneered at by a society within which traditional gender roles and echoes of 'manliness' still pervade.
Original post by Xyloid
It is laughable that you feel superior to anyone on this forum given the barrage of narrow-minded drivel you spew on out on here.

I'm disagreeing with a dude who's saying that women's "natural role" is in the house looking after kids, and I'm the one spewing 'narrow-minded drivel'?

Enlighten me, what other 'narrow-minded drivel' have I been spewing?
Original post by antipathy
I have to confess I feel quite jealous of women in this regard.

While I probably wouldn't choose the lifestyle, I wish I had the option. I feel that we have reached a point where women are privileged to have the choice - perhaps for the first generation ever - to truly have the complete choice as to whether to pursue a career, or stay at home with the children, without too much judgement being placed upon them.

Men aren't in that place yet, and probably won't be for at least another generation or two. House husbands do exist, but are disparaged and sneered at by a society within which traditional gender roles and echoes of 'manliness' still pervade.

Most women don't have this choice either. Only women with partners with very well paid jobs can choose to do this. We have moved past the days when one person's wage could support their family - duel wage earner families are the norm now not just because of social change but also from economic necessity (although working class families have always sent women to work).
Reply 67
Original post by Катя
I'm disagreeing with a dude who's saying that women's "natural role" is in the house looking after kids, and I'm the one spewing 'narrow-minded drivel'?

Enlighten me, what other 'narrow-minded drivel' have I been spewing?

That's not how I interpreted it at all.

The poster said:

This is very good. It's getting more and more difficult to find women who know their role in life these days.

That just sounds like he was saying it's a shame that a lot of women don't seem to know what their role in life is (what they should personally aim for).

Tyrion gave her opinion, which is considered a controversial female mindset in modern society. It's seen as a negative thing for a woman to aim to be a full-time mother without a career from a young age. The reality is there are a lot of young women who would love nothing more than to be full-time mothers starting from when they are young for the rest of their lives but feel societal pressure in the modern world to get careers first. The poster was just acknowledging Tyrion's honesty.

You then came in with your narrow-minded assumption, that he was implying she belonged in the kitchen, simply because he was a male. His follow-up comment say's that he wasn't implying any personal opinions and was suggesting something anecdotal based on what he's seen on the TV. If he had initially meant that women belonged in the kitchen, I'm she he would have owned up to it in his reply to you.

I'm not going to sieve through TSR looking for your posts because I've got better things to do with my time. However, I will promise that from now on i'll start pointing them out to you.
Original post by delicious one
Being an artist isn't being a housewife at all! You just happen to work at home.

Well your only technically an artist if you are recognised as one and/or can make a living or money from art.

Simply being unemployed and drawing some crappy paintings doesn't make you an artist.
Fair enough, if that's what you want to do, but very few can really justify doing it with the cost of living being as high as it is.

It's not for me, though. If I had kids (not massively keen), I'd be nice to stay at home until they went to school, if possible. I don't think I could justify not going back to work after that. Besides, I want a career in scientific research, so unless I marry someone insanely rich and they build a lab for me at home, it ain't gonna happen :wink:
To be honest, who says our careers define us?
In fact, who says that just one aspect of life can define a person, I think if people are happy being housewives/husbands and can afford to be, no problem. I don't think lack of ambition is an issue with being a housewife either, some people live to try and make others happy and for many this is devoting time to their children and family in general. Some housewives do a lot of volunteering for the community and I think that everyone has a place in society, apart from those who look down on others for their life choices :smile:
Original post by GoodbyeHorses
This is very good. It's getting more and more difficult to find women who know their role in life these days.

What do you mean by "their role in life"? What is specifically manly about employment in the modern day, as a teacher or doctor?
Original post by housecaptain
To be honest, who says our careers define us?
In fact, who says that just one aspect of life can define a person, I think if people are happy being housewives/husbands and can afford to be, no problem. I don't think lack of ambition is an issue with being a housewife either, some people live to try and make others happy and for many this is devoting time to their children and family in general. Some housewives do a lot of volunteering for the community and I think that everyone has a place in society, apart from those who look down on others for their life choices :smile:

For better or worse our careers do define us - particularly in the professions.

I'm also sick of hearing complaints from families about their financial situation - and only one partner works.

I've also seen the dynamics of this kind of relationship become fairly disgusting - one lady I knew never seemed to have time to experience anything for herself, go out with her friends etc. because her husband demanded she make dinner for six on the dot every day, and lunch at 1 whenever he was home.

However we look at it, partners who earn the money have all the power here.
Original post by delicious one
For better or worse our careers do define us - particularly in the professions.

I'm also sick of hearing complaints from families about their financial situation - and only one partner works.

I've also seen the dynamics of this kind of relationship become fairly disgusting - one lady I knew never seemed to have time to experience anything for herself, go out with her friends etc. because her husband demanded she make dinner for six on the dot every day, and lunch at 1 whenever he was home.

However we look at it, partners who earn the money have all the power here.

If she doesn't have a life and dislikes not having a life doesn't that make the relationship unhappy, not just her being a housewife?
if some looks for power in a relationship then aren't they always going to have an issue with if their partner is worthy or important?
Every relationship and family is different, sometimes someone dedicated to the home is needed, provided theyre fulfilled with their lives
I think it's a perfectly fine choice to make but not one that deserves accolades of any kind.

I'm irritated when housewives/ stay at home mothers believe what they do demands praise/ admiration, or boast about their "difficult" job - no, you're doing what 99% of the women in the world have to do and with far more time and comfort at your disposal.
Original post by Meyrin
I think it's a perfectly fine choice to make but not one that deserves accolades of any kind.

I'm irritated when housewives/ stay at home mothers believe what they do demands praise/ admiration, or boast about their "difficult" job - no, you're doing what 99% of the women in the world have to do and with far more time and comfort at your disposal.

I think you'll ultimately prefer being a housewife in the end tbh
Original post by 2ndClass
I think you'll ultimately prefer being a housewife in the end tbh

I doubt that. Not only am I restless by nature and in need of intellectual stimulation to keep myself happy, I would find the limitations of having my life revolve around my husband and children extremely frustrating.

The prospect of my entire identity simply being that of someone's mother/ wife is not one I find appealing.
Original post by LolaLowe
How many people have to do all the maintenance on their house at the weekend? mowing lawns, DIY, decorating...all that can be done thru the week. Washing and ironing for four people takes time. Plus paperwork takes a few hours a week like banking etc,

This.

I can confirm, as a busy, single 20-something male, my personal life is usually in complete disarray because I aint got time for all this.
Original post by Meyrin
I doubt that. Not only am I restless by nature and in need of intellectual stimulation to keep myself happy, I would find the limitations of having my life revolve around my husband and children extremely frustrating.

The prospect of my entire identity simply being that of someone's mother/ wife is not one I find appealing.

This might be totally inaccurate, but I think you sometimes have a disdain for people in general, like you see them as "beneath" you. Or very few people are on your intellectual level. Despite your feminist leanings, I think women grate you more than men and I don't think you'll be very tolerable of them in a corporate setting.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 2ndClass
This might be totally inaccurate, but I think you sometimes have a disdain for people in general, like you see them as "beneath" you. Or very few people are on your intellectual level. Despite your feminist leanings, I think women grate you more than men and I don't think you'll be very tolerable of them in a corporate setting.

I'm guessing you've made that assumption based on certain posts I've made in dubious threads - but my low tolerance for silly topics here does not translate into real life. I harbour no such arrogant feelings, nor am I especially intellectual.

Women don't grate on me either, but - without mentioning particular obvious subjects or names - there are behaviours and attitudes that annoy me very much indeed. I suppose in these matters my lack of hesitancy in expressing that can come across as disdainful or cold.

That being said, I don't think my ideal future lies in corporate circles anyway...

Quick Reply