The Student Room Group

Housewives?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Meyrin
I'm guessing you've made that assumption based on certain posts I've made in dubious threads - but my low tolerance for silly topics here does not translate into real life. I harbour no such arrogant feelings, nor am I especially intellectual.

Women don't grate on me either, but - without mentioning particular obvious subjects or names - there are behaviours and attitudes that annoy me very much indeed. I suppose in these matters my lack of hesitancy in expressing that can come across as disdainful or cold.

That being said, I don't think my ideal future lies in corporate circles anyway..

Really? I had you pinned down for one of those experts corporations hire to do the dirty business on mass firing day :tongue:
Original post by elpistolero7
Really? I had you pinned down for one of those experts corporations hire to do the dirty business on mass firing day :tongue:

Lord, no. I have no interest in anything corporate at all. A museum might be closer to the mark...

Do I really come across that unpleasant a person?! I'll have to work on my attitude. :lol:
Original post by LolaLowe
I agree many people manage it just fine. Chaotic is my word for how it seems to me, I'm sure its just normal life to many people.

Nobody is suggesting it takes all day to clean a house, it doesn't, but there is more to running a household than cleaning. How many people have to do all the maintenance on their house at the weekend? mowing lawns, DIY, decorating...all that can be done thru the week. Washing and ironing for four people takes time. Plus paperwork takes a few hours a week like banking etc, then children need haircuts, regular dentist/optician visits, then there is all the school stuff that is good to be involved in that many parents dont get to do.

Each to their own, I know some people who feel that being employed makes them a better person to come home to despite the inevitable bickering that happens when two people are tired and there is a mountain of stuff to do, or who takes time off with a sick child etc. Thats great. But for me to have a husband whose free time is any time he is not in the office, and kids who have a calm and relaxed parent who can devote any amount of time to them that they want or need, is worth a career break of a couple of decades.

Don't you find that you find the most time for everything when at you're busiest?

In some ways the existence of a housewife perpetuates herself - working couples aren't at home during the day so the house remains clean and untouched during that time.

Hiring a cleaner for a few hours/week to deal with the big stuff like ironing, hoovering, cleaning the oven and bathrooms is not a massive expense, especially in the face of the household gaining an additional income. Time with your children is great - but I would say that the benefits of this are outweighed by the possibility of living in a better neighbourhood, sending children to a better school, higher quality diet at home, interesting holidays and the possibility of helping out financially when and if the children go to university, and then again when the children are older and looking to put down a deposit on their own home - the possibility of which is drastically reduced for all but the very richest when the household runs on a single income.
Original post by Meyrin
Lord, no. I have no interest in anything corporate at all. A museum might be closer to the mark...

Do I really come across that unpleasant a person?! I'll have to work on my attitude. :lol:

Nah I was just messing about. You sound quite angry sometimes though :tongue:.
Nah I was just messing about. You sound quite angry sometimes though :tongue:.

I see. But I'm rarely angry, just somewhat blunt.

Though depending on the individual I can get distinctly irritated... :holmes:
Reply 85
Any man that wants a housewife over a lady with a career is going to live a boring life somewhere off in the suburbs.
Reading some of the responses on this thread, I'm surprised by that people think it's fair to put all the financial burden of raising a family on one partner, while the other partner stays at home and indulges in their hobbies and interests all day. I understand that babiesand young children take up a lot of time, but surely a lot of time is free-ed up once they start school.

It just doesn't seem fair to me that one parner may have to work a job they don't particularly enjoy to subsidise the life of the other partner.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by I love shopping
Reading some of the responses on this thread, I'm surprised by that people think it's fair to put all the financial burden of raising a family on one partner, while the other partner stays at home and indulges in their hobbies and interests all day. I understand that babiesand young children take up a lot of time, but surely a lot of time is free-ed up once they start school.

It just doesn't seem fair to me that one parner may have to work a job they don't particularly enjoy to subsidise the life of the other partner.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The partner that's at home does all the housework and organises stuff so the other person doesn't have to

Why does it bother you what couples decide?
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
The partner that's at home does all the housework and organises stuff so the other person doesn't have to

Why does it bother you what couples decide?

Yeah, I get that, but if only one of the parents is working, they'll need a well-paid job to meet the expenses of the family. This could mean they may have to take up a job they don't want just to earn enough to make a living. I thought you were against 9-5 get rich kind of jobs?

I'm surprised you're asking me that when you're quite judgmental yourself.
Yeah, I get that, but if only one of the parents is working, they'll need a well-paid job to meet the expenses of the family. This could mean they may have to take up a job they don't want just to earn enough to make a living. I thought you were against 9-5 get rich kind of jobs?

I am against get rich quick jobs. It doesn't take as much money as people think.

How am I judgemental?
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
I am against get rich quick jobs. It doesn't take as much money as people think.

How am I judgemental?

I recently read the average income of an adult in the UK is around £21,000 post tax. If only one partner is working, do you think this is enough to pay mortgage, bills, food, car & travel expenses and meet childcare costs, while living a fairly comfortable lifestyle? Also, like I've mentioned before, in this economy it's quite difficult to hold down a job and many people get made redundant every day.

Being a sole breadwinner for a family is, therefore, a huge burden and can cause a lot of stress and worry, especially if you're not sure if your job is stable. I, personally, wouldn't want to put my partner through that burden on their own. I would also hate it if my partner was miserable because he had to take up a job he didn't like. If we were both working, we could both do lower-paid less stressful jobs that we both enjoyed.

But obviously none of this matters if a couple have enough money, and ultimately it's their decision. I'm just giving my opinion on the matter.
I recently read the average income of an adult in the UK is around £21,000 post tax. If only one partner is working, do you think this is enough to pay mortgage, bills, food, car & travel expenses and meet childcare costs, while living a fairly comfortable lifestyle? Also, like I've mentioned before, in this economy it's quite difficult to hold down a job and many people get made redundant every day.

Being a sole breadwinner for a family is, therefore, a huge burden and can cause a lot of stress and worry, especially if you're not sure if your job is stable. I, personally, wouldn't want to put my partner through that burden on their own. I would also hate it if my partner was miserable because he had to take up a job he didn't like. If we were both working, we could both do lower-paid less stressful jobs that we both enjoyed.
But obviously none of this matters if a couple have enough money, and ultimately it's their decision. I'm just giving my opinion on the matter.

That's a very pertinent fact you've brought up. I guess the level of the spouse's/partners job matters big time when the other person isn't working, cause if its average wages, you're pretty screwed. That'd barely cover rent and food for 2 in London, let alone a family :redface:.
That's a very pertinent fact you've brought up. I guess the level of the spouse's/partners job matters big time when the other person isn't working, cause if its average wages, you're pretty screwed. That'd barely cover rent and food for 2 in London, let alone a family :redface:.

Exactly. I would feel very guilty if my partner was slaving away every day in a very stressful job to provide for the family while I stayed at home all day, doing things I enjoy.

Very true. I would say it's almost impossible to have a good quality of life for a couple, let alone a family, on a single income. With two incomes, everybody wins. Hire a cleaner to come in once a week, and still have extra money left over to fund your life. I'm sure plenty of single-income families regret their choice when they are tucking into their own brand pasta & sauce.

Even with a really good job it's not enough to live really comfortably - our job market just isn't designed for a salary to support a family.
Original post by delicious one
Even with a really good job it's not enough to live really comfortably - our job market just isn't designed for a salary to support a family.

Well 42 thousand a year would sure make things hell of a lot better than 21 thousand...just saying.
Well 42 thousand a year would sure make things hell of a lot better than 21 thousand...just saying.

Definitely. But 84 thousand would be even easier :smile:
Reply 97
I'm a housewife and I am absolutely my husband's intellectual equal, bless your little cotton narrow-minded socks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest