The Student Room Group

What GCSE grade do you think you would need for these subjects?

What GCSE grades do you think you would need to do these A-Levels:

Mathematics

Further Mathematics

Biology

Chemistry

I was thinking about doing biology and chemistry at a level (no i dont want to go into medicine) but I enjoy it at gcse but I dont know if I will struggle with it or not?
Reply 1
For those subjects at my sixth form you need at least a B grade
I hear Biology is a bitch, you would probably would only need about a B in your GCSE's, though for Further Maths at my school you need an A* in Maths :smile:
At my school you can't do any of those with less than an A
Reply 4
Biology and Chemistry you'll be fine if you get an A in those, maths however if you get anything below an A then you are destined to fail. Realistically, you should have got an A* or a really high A in GCSE maths to consider taking Further Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You need an A in maths and B's in the sciences i believe (this is for the average college/sixth form) some others increase the requirements.
Original post by Ben4
What GCSE grades do you think you would need to do these A-Levels:

Mathematics

Further Mathematics

Biology

Chemistry

I was thinking about doing biology and chemistry at a level (no i dont want to go into medicine) but I enjoy it at gcse but I dont know if I will struggle with it or not?

A*,A,B and C is a pass almost everywhere. However it may vary for some schools, I heard some places accept up to E Grade.
But before you decide what grade is good enough for you, try checking out some universities too, Some Universities, usually the real good ones also consider your GCSE grades.
I think realistically you'd need an A to have a good chance of doing well in science subjects at A-level. Maybe not so much at AS, but at A2 they get tricky.
Reply 8
I did GCSE's two years ago.

Chemistry:
GCSE: A* (I got 96 UMS in my final exam)
AS level: Low C

Biology:
GCSE: A*
AS level: B

Maths:
AS level: C (I got a D in C1 and C2)

English Lit:
AS level: D (I got an E in the exam)

A-levels are so much harder they don't compare! My problem is that I understand it but can't remember things and I panic in exams... Hopefully my A2's in the next few weeks will go a bit better.
Reply 9
Original post by i'mlaura
I did GCSE's two years ago.

Chemistry:
GCSE: A* (I got 96 UMS in my final exam)
AS level: Low C

Biology:
AS level: B

Maths:
AS level: C (I got a D in C1 and C2)

English Lit:
AS level: D (I got an E in the exam)

A-levels are so much harder they don't compare! My problem is that I understand it but can't remember things and I panic in exams... Hopefully my A2's in the next few weeks will go a bit better.

This has really scared me, i can just about get 1 A* and you got 4 and didnt cope as well in AS...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rascacielos
I think realistically you'd need an A to have a good chance of doing well in science subjects at A-level. Maybe not so much at AS, but at A2 they get tricky.

Im about an A in both sciences but i believe me getting As in science is a fluke haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd say an A for maths, A* for further maths, an A for biology and definitely an A for chemistry (although obviously depends on what grade you're aiming for at A level :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
At my school it's an A for Bio, Chem and Maths, but an A* for Further Maths
I got...

Biology-
GCSE A (2 UMS of an A*)
AS - B

Chemistry
GCSE - A*
AS - C (I got an A and a D in exams, literally no revision)

Maths
GCSE - A*
AS - A (and probably A* at A2)

I completely fluked my GCSEs, I did very little revision (under 30mins for each in total), I decided to carry this on into AS which didn't turn out too great. I only did alright in maths as we had loads of mocks so ended up learning! If you are sensible and actually do work you'll be fine!

I would say A* in maths as FM, at least a B in each science but preferably an A especially if you're currently in top set and aiming for high A level grades!
At my school, Biology was a B, Chemistry was a B with an A in Maths, Maths was an A/A*, and Further Maths was an A* in Maths.
Original post by Ben4
This has really scared me, i can just about get 1 A* and you got 4 and didnt cope as well in AS...

Posted from TSR Mobile

A-level is completely different to GCSE, when you start AS make sure you do lots of independent study (because it's hard to remember everything), past paper questions, have lots of folders to be organised etc. I don't think it's that uncommon for people to drop down at AS like I did, you just can't be in denial about it like I was. If you get C's in homework and mocks, you're likely to end up with that at the end of the year.
Original post by Ben4

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't let it scare you, if you do the work you should be fine, even without loads of A*s. I'm doing maths, biology, chemistry and physics, I got A* in maths and physics GCSE and A in biology and chemistry, even without all A*s I'm still doing fine. Hoping to get AAAB at least at AS. :smile:

I'd say for biology and chemistry you probably need an A to do well in chemistry, and a B in biology to do well (biology is easy to understand, you just have to remember a bunch of stuff and learn exam technique, not too hard if you try). Chemistry is more difficult I'd say, but if you have good teachers it's probably okay, chemistry just requires practice.

I don't do FM but I'd say you probably need an A* to do well, I hear people complain about normal maths when they get As in it, and I imagine FM is much harder so you should need an A* and basically just understand it easily. If you lacked understanding in GCSE topics you'll probably find areas of FM very difficult (but if you dropped marks due to silly mistakes and rushing then that's different I'd say).

But don't worry, just work hard next year and it'll be fine, good luck :biggrin:
Original post by Okkefac
Don't let it scare you, if you do the work you should be fine, even without loads of A*s. I'm doing maths, biology, chemistry and physics, I got A* in maths and physics GCSE and A in biology and chemistry, even without all A*s I'm still doing fine. Hoping to get AAAB at least at AS. :smile:

I'd say for biology and chemistry you probably need an A to do well in chemistry, and a B in biology to do well (biology is easy to understand, you just have to remember a bunch of stuff and learn exam technique, not too hard if you try). Chemistry is more difficult I'd say, but if you have good teachers it's probably okay, chemistry just requires practice.

I don't do FM but I'd say you probably need an A* to do well, I hear people complain about normal maths when they get As in it, and I imagine FM is much harder so you should need an A* and basically just understand it easily. If you lacked understanding in GCSE topics you'll probably find areas of FM very difficult (but if you dropped marks due to silly mistakes and rushing then that's different I'd say).

But don't worry, just work hard next year and it'll be fine, good luck :biggrin:

Thank you, I am determined to work hard next year and for my subjects, I am currently an A* in maths so hope I will be able to cope, but I dont think I will be able to do FM at sixth form cos i dont think anyone else wants to do it. :frown:
Original post by Ben4
Thank you, I am determined to work hard next year and for my subjects, I am currently an A* in maths so hope I will be able to cope, but I dont think I will be able to do FM at sixth form cos i dont think anyone else wants to do it. :frown:

You should do well as long as you work hard :biggrin:
That really sucks :frown: Maybe you could see if the sixth form would allow you to do biology and chemistry there, and do FM at a nearby college if there is one (or ask to self teach the further modules and just do maths at your sixth form, and sit the exams either at the sixth form or at a nearby college, if that's possible).
Original post by Ben4

Posted from TSR Mobile

If it helps I only managed one A at GCSE and I aced my A levels which included Biology and maths (straight As at A level and if A*s had existed I would have got AAA*)

Quick Reply

Latest