Turn on thread page Beta

Problems with my Car.! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Can anyone help me with knowing what could be the cause of these problems?

1. When i insert the key into ignition, and turn it all the way, and when engine starts. Car starts making a funny clattering sound, but when i turn the key jus a bit back the noise stops.

2. Radio does not come on... did not happen before.. only when 1 problem started.

3. When signalling, it comes on for while, then starts flickering, and turns off. .. again started when number 1 problem started.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of car is it? Make, Model and year?

ReputationRep:
    peugeot 206.
    dont know year

ReputationRep:
    electrical faults maybe?

ReputationRep:
    So to get this straight, when you try to start the engine, it makes a noise, and the engine doesn't start? I'd be looking at either the starter motor/solenoid, or the flywheel.

ReputationRep:
    Could also be the auxiliary belt.

ReputationRep:
    the engine does start, it when i turn the way all the way that the noise starts.

ReputationRep:
    Is the noise like a clicking over and over again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maccees)
    Is the noise like a clicking over and over again?
    Yes,

It only starts making the noise, when i put the key into the ignition, and turn it all the way.
    But if i turn the key sllightly back, with engine running, the clicking sound suddenly stops.

But along with this problem, my radio has stopped working, and my signal lights are playing up too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jak_)
    Yes,

It only starts making the noise, when i put the key into the ignition, and turn it all the way.
    But if i turn the key sllightly back, with engine running, the clicking sound suddenly stops.

But along with this problem, my radio has stopped working, and my signal lights are playing up too.
    So when the engine is running, if you turn the key as if you were starting the engine then it makes a clicking noise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maccees)
    So when the engine is running, if you turn the key as if you were starting the engine then it makes a clicking noise?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Are you not just engaging the starter motor for too long?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jak_)
    Yes,

Holy carp some people really shouldn't be driving. The 'clicking' sound is your starter motor teeth being smashed against the teeth of the running flywheel. You should never turn the key to the start position while the engine is already running. What the hell is wrong with people?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jak_)
    Yes.
    Yeah, what they said above. There's nothing wrong with the car, you don't need to turn the key at all while the engine is running (except backwards to turn it off ofc).

As for the radio and lights, check your fuses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    Holy carp some people really shouldn't be driving. The 'clicking' sound is your starter motor teeth being smashed against the teeth of the running flywheel. You should never turn the key to the start position while the engine is already running. What the hell is wrong with people?!
    They state they have to turn the key back a little bit.
    That suggests to me, if there is an issue with the starter, that it's actually an issue with a sticky ignition barrel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    They state they have to turn the key back a little bit.
    That suggests to me, if there is an issue with the starter, that it's actually an issue with a sticky ignition barrel.
    this... i know you not meant to move key when engine running,
    But when you're starting the car, before even putting it into gear, it starts to make that sound that's not normal.

The radio, and signal indicator also starts working again when i turn the key back, along with the clackin sound stopping.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.