Problems with my Car.!

Watch
Jak_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi

Can anyone help me with knowing what could be the cause of these problems?

1. When i insert the key into ignition, and turn it all the way, and when engine starts. Car starts making a funny clattering sound, but when i turn the key jus a bit back the noise stops.

2. Radio does not come on... did not happen before.. only when 1 problem started.

3. When signalling, it comes on for while, then starts flickering, and turns off. .. again started when number 1 problem started.
kaarlis112
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What kind of car is it? Make, Model and year?
Jak_
Rep:
?
peugeot 206.
dont know year
Cheesegrater4
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
electrical faults maybe?
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So to get this straight, when you try to start the engine, it makes a noise, and the engine doesn't start? I'd be looking at either the starter motor/solenoid, or the flywheel.
The Jargen
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Could also be the auxiliary belt.
Jak_
Rep:
?
the engine does start, it when i turn the way all the way that the noise starts.
Maccees
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Is the noise like a clicking over and over again?
Jak_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Maccees)
Is the noise like a clicking over and over again?
Yes,

It only starts making the noise, when i put the key into the ignition, and turn it all the way.
But if i turn the key sllightly back, with engine running, the clicking sound suddenly stops.

But along with this problem, my radio has stopped working, and my signal lights are playing up too.
Maccees
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jak_)
Yes,

It only starts making the noise, when i put the key into the ignition, and turn it all the way.
But if i turn the key sllightly back, with engine running, the clicking sound suddenly stops.

But along with this problem, my radio has stopped working, and my signal lights are playing up too.
So when the engine is running, if you turn the key as if you were starting the engine then it makes a clicking noise?
Jak_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Maccees)
So when the engine is running, if you turn the key as if you were starting the engine then it makes a clicking noise?
Yes.
Camoxide
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Are you not just engaging the starter motor for too long?
Nuffles
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jak_)
Yes,

Holy carp some people really shouldn't be driving. The 'clicking' sound is your starter motor teeth being smashed against the teeth of the running flywheel. You should never turn the key to the start position while the engine is already running. What the hell is wrong with people?!
Maccees
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jak_)
Yes.
Yeah, what they said above. There's nothing wrong with the car, you don't need to turn the key at all while the engine is running (except backwards to turn it off ofc).

As for the radio and lights, check your fuses.
JC.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Nuffles)
Holy carp some people really shouldn't be driving. The 'clicking' sound is your starter motor teeth being smashed against the teeth of the running flywheel. You should never turn the key to the start position while the engine is already running. What the hell is wrong with people?!
They state they have to turn the key back a little bit.
That suggests to me, if there is an issue with the starter, that it's actually an issue with a sticky ignition barrel.
Jak_
Rep:
?
(Original post by JC.)
They state they have to turn the key back a little bit.
That suggests to me, if there is an issue with the starter, that it's actually an issue with a sticky ignition barrel.
this... i know you not meant to move key when engine running,
But when you're starting the car, before even putting it into gear, it starts to make that sound that's not normal.

The radio, and signal indicator also starts working again when i turn the key back, along with the clackin sound stopping.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (636)
33.58%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (798)
42.13%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (375)
19.8%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (85)
4.49%

Watched Threads