What happens if I'm too ill to sit exam? Watch

muzika
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Basically since Saturday I'm very ill. I have fewer (39,1 now) Also im constantly throwing up. And tomorrow I have my AS geography exam (retake), I'm not sure how I'm going to be feeling tomorrow. So I wonder what happens if I'm too ill to sit an exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
muzika
Rep:
?

Posted from TSR Mobile
mackemforever
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by muzika)
Basically since Saturday I'm very ill. I have fewer (39,1 now) Also im constantly throwing up. And tomorrow I have my AS geography exam (retake), I'm not sure how I'm going to be feeling tomorrow. So I wonder what happens if I'm too ill to sit an exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Firstly, ring your school first thing in the morning. If you are genuinely too ill to ring them then have a parent do so.

Secondly, you'll have to have proof from a doctor that you are ill, so tomorrow morning you need to make an appointment to see a doctor. Even if it's just something like food poisoning which would sort itself out in a day or two you still need to go and see a doctor about it.

Your school will be able to tell you how they handle things in this situation when you speak to them, but without notifying them that you are ill and having proof from a doctor to show that you were too ill to sit the exam then there is nothing they will able to do to help you.
SassQueen13
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I heard that they apparently take your mock grade if you're too ill to sit an exam but I don't know how accurate this piece of information is.
la95
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mackemforever)
Firstly, ring your school first thing in the morning. If you are genuinely too ill to ring them then have a parent do so.

Secondly, you'll have to have proof from a doctor that you are ill, so tomorrow morning you need to make an appointment to see a doctor. Even if it's just something like food poisoning which would sort itself out in a day or two you still need to go and see a doctor about it.

Your school will be able to tell you how they handle things in this situation when you speak to them, but without notifying them that you are ill and having proof from a doctor to show that you were too ill to sit the exam then there is nothing they will able to do to help you.
I've been curious about this for a while - if you're too ill to sit the exam, then surely you'll be too ill to go to the doctor's as well? For example, if I felt sick and was vomiting constantly, it seems highly​ unlikely that I'd be able to go to the doctor's.
mackemforever
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by la95)
I've been curious about this for a while - if you're too ill to sit the exam, then surely you'll be too ill to go to the doctor's as well? For example, if I felt sick and was vomiting constantly, it seems highly​ unlikely that I'd be able to go to the doctor's.
Then if you're too sick to go to the doctors then you call an ambulance and get seen in hospital.

Without proof of illness then you will not be granted mitigation for the exam. Doesn't matter if that proof comes from a GP or from the hospital, but you need proof.
muzika
Rep:
?
Well I hope I'm to feel better tomorrow. Really don't want to miss this exam as I need to get an A. And I have a feeling that if I won't sit this exam they just going to use the previous grade I got last summer. And I don't want this to happen....

Posted from TSR Mobile
la95
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Then if you're too sick to go to the doctors then you call an ambulance and get seen in hospital.

Without proof of illness then you will not be granted mitigation for the exam. Doesn't matter if that proof comes from a GP or from the hospital, but you need proof.
I really don't understand that. I've had many stomach bugs in my time, and it's been a struggle to walk a few feet from my bedroom to the bathroom. I very much doubt I'd be able to get into the car and go to the doctor's, but calling an ambulance would be completely unnecessary and a huge waste of time.
mackemforever
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by la95)
I really don't understand that. I've had many stomach bugs in my time, and it's been a struggle to walk a few feet from my bedroom to the bathroom. I very much doubt I'd be able to get into the car and go to the doctor's, but calling an ambulance would be completely unnecessary and a huge waste of time.
Yep it would be, but the system is crap. You have to have proof of your illness from a medical professional. I mean, potentially you might be able to get a doctor to come out and see you at your house, but that's much less easy now than it used to be, and so you've got to go to them. If you're too ill to do it under your own steam then you have to find some other way, and if you don't have anybody to take you then you haven't exactly got many choices have you.
la95
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yep it would be, but the system is crap. You have to have proof of your illness from a medical professional. I mean, potentially you might be able to get a doctor to come out and see you at your house, but that's much less easy now than it used to be, and so you've got to go to them. If you're too ill to do it under your own steam then you have to find some other way, and if you don't have anybody to take you then you haven't exactly got many choices have you.
Seems silly, but ah well.
Rum Ham
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm from Scotland so when I was at school I done highers and standard grades. During my 4th yr exams I had glandular fever and never sat any of my exams then. My mum called the school up on the Friday and they said it was maybe just tonsillitis but I had blood work done on the Wed or Thurs to test for glandular fever and on the Monday I was still sick as dog so my mum called the school back up confirming I got my blood work saying it was glandular fever and the school contacted the doc to confirm. I also got medical cert for the school too.

So anyhoo about roughly a month later I was well enough to sit my exams so a representative from the exam boards came to my school and sat in with me in a spare classroom while I done the exam. Some other people were also in with at me times since they missed exams too for whatever reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

This is stupid advice.

Ringing an ambulance because you're too sick with a stomach bug to go to your GP is a massive waste of resources and a burden on A&E. You also risk infecting vulnerable patients with whatever bug it is you have. This is how we end up with norovirus in hospitals.

If you are too sick to visit your GP ring them and speak to them on the phone. If needs be they could visit you at home or write you a sick note retrospectively once you are fit enough to go and see them.
Abby_W31
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Yasmin25)
I'm from Scotland so when I was at school I done highers and standard grades. During my 4th yr exams I had glandular fever and never sat any of my exams then. My mum called the school up on the Friday and they said it was maybe just tonsillitis but I had blood work done on the Wed or Thurs to test for glandular fever and on the Monday I was still sick as dog so my mum called the school back up confirming I got my blood work saying it was glandular fever and the school contacted the doc to confirm. I also got medical cert for the school too.

So anyhoo about roughly a month later I was well enough to sit my exams so a representative from the exam boards came to my school and sat in with me in a spare classroom while I done the exam. Some other people were also in with at me times since they missed exams too for whatever reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's how it works in Scotland.
In England, if you're really too ill (Only if you have a serious illness like glandular or something infectious, usually vomiting won't be reasonable) and you only miss one or two exams you will be excused from the exam and the teachers will submit your predicted grade for that exam. HOWEVER you can't simply skive off every exam and just be given your target grade for all of them, only a certain percentage of your final mark is allowed to be ascertained by your predicted grade.
muzika
Rep:
?
Well if anyone is interested what happened. I had to sit this exam when I was feeling so so bad and in a middle of exam I was sick. Thanks God I was sitting at the back next to toilets. As it was retake unit I would get same grade as last year so I just wanted to try and do this exam as I revised so much. I will get only extra 3%

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1129)
79.01%
Leave (300)
20.99%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise