Turn on thread page Beta

Nigeria kidnap: David Cameron joins "Bring Back Our Girls" campaign watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27360712

Well really, the only way we are going to get back these girls is a full scale military intervention, with special forces "snatch and grab" being the focus. So I don't really understand why the Prime Minister has promised Britain "will do what we can" to help find more than 200 kidnapped Nigerian schoolgirls, when he won't do such a thing. No amount of hash tags, economic sanctions or shouty protests is going to get these girls back and safe with their families.

Just another political stunt to improve ones own personality cult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the mezzil)

Well really, the only way we are going to get back these girls is a full scale military intervention, with special forces "snatch and grab" being the focus.
    I would say that is exactly why Boko Haram have done it. They want "Western" intervention so they can have their jihad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    I would say that is exactly why Boko Haram have done it. They want "Western" intervention so they can have their jihad.
    Dammed if we do, dammed if we don't.

There is literally nothing we can do, other than intervene militarily. So why go and say that? What is the point?

ReputationRep:
    Dammed if we do, dammed if we don't.

There is literally nothing we can do, other than intervene militarily. So why go and say that? What is the point?
    It's just stating what I believe to be the mindset and the complete hopelessness of trying to fight this kind of asymmetric warfare whilst the public at home has so little appreciation of it.

There's terrible stuff going down in Nigeria and loads of women being abused. Yes, this is terrible.

However, that's exactly the situation that was occurring in Afghan a decade ago. It was so terrible the way that women were treated, and the Taliban were inhuman monsters.

As soon as we intervened (as so many wanted) the Care Bears and agitators in this country and others immediately turned it into Western imperialism and nothing more than an inexplicable desire to murder civilians.

The same would happen in Nigeria.

No matter what the initial motivation, as soon as we put boys on the ground, it's going to be all about how many civilians have been killed, and it will all absurdly turn to how oil-rich Nigeria is, and be war-for-oil which was never on anyone's radar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    It's just stating what I believe to be the mindset and the complete hopelessness of trying to fight this kind of asymmetric warfare whilst the public at home has so little appreciation of it.

There's terrible stuff going down in Nigeria and loads of women being abused. Yes, this is terrible.

However, that's exactly the situation that was occurring in Afghan a decade ago. It was so terrible the way that women were treated, and the Taliban were inhuman monsters.

As soon as we intervened (as so many wanted) the Care Bears and agitators in this country and others immediately turned it into Western imperialism and nothing more than an inexplicable desire to murder civilians.

The same would happen in Nigeria.

No matter what the initial motivation, as soon as we put boys on the ground, it's going to be all about how many civilians have been killed, and it will all absurdly turn to how oil-rich Nigeria is, and be war-for-oil which was never on anyone's radar.
    Not being funny, but this is why we need PMC's. Well, reputable ones, not Xe Services. And just give them a months contract. We can't be blamed for anything that occurs thereafter.

ReputationRep:
    Not being funny, but this is why we need PMC's.
    Because sending in mercenaries is so much better?

Nigeria's a wealthy country, if it wanted them, it could pay for them itself. The corruption at the top end allows this and there's little anyone can do about that, unless we go down the regime change aisle, but then we get into all kinds of trouble.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)

Nigeria's a wealthy country, if it wanted them, it could pay for them itself. The corruption at the top end allows this and there's little anyone can do about that, unless we go down the regime change aisle, but then we get into all kinds of trouble.
    At least we would not have a physical presence there. Alternatively, we could just shrug our shoulders until public outrage is so high, people are on a million man march for military intervention. If that does not happens, then why bother if nobody cares? It is a hard stance to take, but what alternative is there? The government would be in a much better position to just turn around and say "you wanted this, not us".

Nigeria has all sorts of problems, and none of them will be solved in time to retrieve these girls.

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't Sierra Leone going down this path till the mercenaries went in?

ReputationRep:
    This looks like a bad media stunt done by the west so they can intervene?

ReputationRep:
    Cameron was ill advised to do this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Wasn't Sierra Leone going down this path till the mercenaries went in?
    Not mercenaries, UN peacekeepers. Followed by UK Forces. And that was against a force that was not well prepared for a real conflict.

Nigeria, however, isn't the same situation.
    The people clamouring for engagement don't understand what they're demanding. Nothing short of a full military force will be any use, and as soon as that happens, the usual crowd will be all over the media talking about how we're being empire-builders, just going in for oil, making the place worse blaming any/all civilian deaths on us, etc etc.

And doing all this despite knowing we have no money and that our Armed Forces are not equipped to run a police investigation of missing people.

ReputationRep:
    Found it odd. The campaign seems to be calling for military action to help bring the girls back. But the one with the power to do this is surely Cameron so who is he campaigning to?

ReputationRep:
    The whole hashtag thing is ridiculous. As if that'll make any difference to whether or not this situation is resolved and the girls are retrieved from Bukakke Haram.

ReputationRep:

Well really, the only way we are going to get back these girls is a full scale military intervention, with special forces "snatch and grab" being the focus. So I don't really understand why the Prime Minister has promised Britain "will do what we can" to help find more than 200 kidnapped Nigerian schoolgirls, when he won't do such a thing. No amount of hash tags, economic sanctions or shouty protests is going to get these girls back and safe with their families.

Just another political stunt to improve ones own personality cult.
    Personally as I Nigerian I believe the whole thing has escalated due to parts of the government in the north of Nigeria being overly friendly with Boko Haram and ignoring the people's original cry for help. The only way that this can be resolved is a full military intervention and complete destruction of Boko Haram

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael_98)
    Personally as I Nigerian I believe the whole thing has escalated due to parts of the government in the north of Nigeria being overly friendly with Boko Haram and ignoring the people's original cry for help. The only way that this can be resolved is a full military intervention and complete destruction of Boko Haram
    I assume you're aware that there are people both in and out of Nigeria who say there's no such thing as Boko Haram? And that there are criminal gangs in the South who just use the name Boko Haram to get away with crimes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael_98)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I sympathize, but what can we do? I would support a military solution, but nobody else has the balls to enter another conflict, because of Blair and Bush.

ReputationRep:

The mercenaries are already there, it's just that they currently work for Texaco.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.