What's harder and why? Chemistry or Biology?

Watch
Melon girl
  • Study Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am doing A2 Biology and Chemistry. I got an a in Chemistry AS and I got a d for Biology AS and I'm really confused. I thought that Chemistry was hard throughout the year and found Biology easy. I did all the past papers for Biology and loads of amazing notes and got a d. In Chemistry I made no notes and did fife papers the night before both exams, because I actually wanted to drop it and really didn't care, however I got an a in both my exams and coursework and I got two Cs in my Biology exams and a U in the ISA. I'm so confused as to what else I can do to get an A in Biology and what makes Chemistry so much easier than Biology.
HarjKS
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It really depends on how you are. I mean everyone is unique. Personally I find Chemistry hard mainly due to all the calculations you have to do (Simple things such as finding Mr or Ar are easy but things such as 'Finding the Empirical Formula' can be quite daunting).

However maybe you're incredibly good at this.

Anyway to get an 'A' in Biology you simply just need to try and remember facts. Do past-papers and study from a revision guide. (CGP Science Guides are great as there is one for 'Additonal Science' which contains Unit 2 for Biology, Chemistry and Pyshics all compact into one).

But maybe it's just you. Personally I envy you I find Chemistry very hard but I hope you do well on your exams
Melon girl
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by HarjKS)
It really depends on how you are. I mean everyone is unique. Personally I find Chemistry hard mainly due to all the calculations you have to do (Simple things such as finding Mr or Ar are easy but things such as 'Finding the Empirical Formula' can be quite daunting).

However maybe you're incredibly good at this.

Anyway to get an 'A' in Biology you simply just need to try and remember facts. Do past-papers and study from a revision guide. (CGP Science Guides are great as there is one for 'Additonal Science' which contains Unit 2 for Biology, Chemistry and Pyshics all compact into one).

But maybe it's just you. Personally I envy you I find Chemistry very hard but I hope you do well on your exams
I see, I think people tend to do better in Chemistry than in Biology though..
HarjKS
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Melon girl)
I see, I think people tend to do better in Chemistry than in Biology though..
I think that may be because Chemistry may challenge them. With Biology some people see it as a breeze since all it is, is just plain facts about certain areas of science.

But with Chemistry they challenge you there are multiple scenarios and it can be daunting having to figure out the best way to solve these scenarios that may pop up in questions. Thus they focus more time on Chemistry studying harder making it easier for them to remember.

In other words people may mostly underestimate Biology and may perhaps overestimate Chemistry thus trying their hardest to focus and work on Chemistry rather than Biology.
username1281669
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It seems to me Chemistry is more maths based and Biology is more memory based.
I can't speak for Biology since I'm not studying it, however I'd certainly find it harder than Chemistry (my memory is terrible).
So really it depends on your natural strengths and learning style.
That being said, I heard somewhere that Chemistry was the most challenging A-Level, and a lot of people in my class are struggling so you might be on your own there. :P
woztar
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am doing A2 Biology and Chemistry. I got an a in Chemistry AS and I got a d for Biology AS and I'm really confused. I thought that Chemistry was hard throughout the year and found Biology easy. I did all the past papers for Biology and loads of amazing notes and got a d. In Chemistry I made no notes and did fife papers the night before both exams, because I actually wanted to drop it and really didn't care, however I got an a in both my exams and coursework and I got two Cs in my Biology exams and a U in the ISA. I'm so confused as to what else I can do to get an A in Biology and what makes Chemistry so much easier than Biology.
One is not harder than the other. They are similar calibre subjects. However, people find certain topics more demanding than others, eg, redox vs the cell

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sukeshi
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think the problem with biology is that you can know everything but if you misinterpret the question you lose a bunch of marks. The key is to do lots of past papers to see all the different types of questions there are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahhhhstress
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm doing Scottish Advanced Highers and I find Biology harder exam wise but Chemistry harder to understand. With the Biology exam I find you have to be so specific and use the correct lingo in such a way its almost an English exam! Chemistry exam is easier as its mostly numerical and single sentences. However I find the Chemistry theory so much harder to understand, if the exams didn't involve a lot of memorising and were not so similar I would never have got to Advanced Higher level! Does anyone else find this?
Melon girl
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ahhhhstress)
I'm doing Scottish Advanced Highers and I find Biology harder exam wise but Chemistry harder to understand. With the Biology exam I find you have to be so specific and use the correct lingo in such a way its almost an English exam! Chemistry exam is easier as its mostly numerical and single sentences. However I find the Chemistry theory so much harder to understand, if the exams didn't involve a lot of memorising and were not so similar I would never have got to Advanced Higher level! Does anyone else find this?
I agree, that's the problem, the Biology exams are muuuuch more harder.
Melon girl
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by woztar)
One is not harder than the other. They are similar calibre subjects. However, people find certain topics more demanding than others, eg, redox vs the cell

Posted from TSR Mobile
Biology exams are much harder than chemistry exams
BreezeBlockss
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Personally, I find that the way the questions are in Biology exams really confuses me
Exx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Biologys a lot harder exam wise, so much memorising and having to write specific details. Where chemistry your fine once you understand it.
Melon girl
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by ashleymacleod)
Personally, I find that the way the questions are in Biology exams really confuses me
(Original post by Exx)
Biologys a lot harder exam wise, so much memorising and having to write specific details. Where chemistry your fine once you understand it.
I agree, I feel like even when you know the whole book and you've done the past papers, you can't be guaranteed an A whereas in Chemistry if you do the notes and the past papers you can be.
woztar
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Biology exams are much harder than chemistry exams
That's not 100 % true. While you may find Biology more difficult, others may find Biology a lot easier due to HSW questions. It usually varies from student to student.
Melon girl
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
That's not 100 % true. While you may find Biology more difficult, others may find Biology a lot easier due to HSW questions. It usually varies from student to student.
A poll was done in my school for Biology and Chemistry students and 91/93 students voted Biology as being harder..
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For me, Chemistry. More mathematical, and so dull, meaning I found motivation difficult and had little willingness to work for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
woztar
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A poll was done in my school for Biology and Chemistry students and 91/93 students voted Biology as being harder..
That's strange. In our school, students received higher grades in Biology than in Chemistry
Melon girl
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
That's strange. In our school, students received higher grades in Biology than in Chemistry
I really wish I had got a U in Chemistry and an A in Biology, I don't understand why Chemistry is better in my school
Melon girl
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by Changing Skies)
For me, Chemistry. More mathematical, and so dull, meaning I found motivation difficult and had little willingness to work for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you do both? How do you find revising for Biology?
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do you do both? How do you find revising for Biology?
I did both last year, dropped Chemistry I love love love Biology, so I actually enjoy revising it

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (42)
47.19%
No, they should still go ahead (21)
23.6%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (26)
29.21%

Watched Threads