applying for degree in allied health - with eating disorder? Watch

Laibey
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
hi everyone

I have always wanted to work in health e.g. as a occupational therapist, physio or speech therapist. However to get onto the degree course for these subjects you need to pass an occupational health check. The trouble is I have a long history of anorexia (13 years) so even if my weight is healthy by the time I apply, I'm worried they will take one look at my medical history and say no.
So my question is does anyone have any knowledge or experience of how strict the admissions tutors are when considering applicants to work in the health professions (UK)?
Thanks
L
Staceyc1990
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I can't say for definite but I would think if you are coping okay at the moment then it would be unfair to use that against you. I've heard of people with mental health problems go into nursing. Obviously it gives them more experience about it. I think as long as your in a okay place now it wouldn't go against you but like I say - I can't say for definite because I've not been in that situation. How are you at the moment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LouieSax
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I believe you've got to show that you have completely recovered and that there's no chance of relapse. In order to prove this you will probably need a letter from your GP or psychiatrist. Provided that you are completely recovered then they will not hold it against you. In fact, in terms of a career you may find you will be able to emphasise with people more due to your experiences which may make you a better health professional

But, you may want to consider that as an allied health professional, you will be dealing with people who have eating disorders on a regular basis and whether this will trigger you or make you relapse; the university will have councelling service if you need it, so don't be too worried
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (753)
80.36%
Leave (184)
19.64%

Watched Threads