Turn on thread page Beta

What's your take on humility? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Eh, bored so thought I'd make a thread on something that was on my mind recently...

Here's a quote from Muhammed Ali:
    "At home I am a nice guy: but I don't want the world to know. Humble people, I've found, don't get very far".

So using that as a basis d'you think being humble in today's society will get you anywhere? I'm talking career wise and all that sorta stuff.

P.S: Not trying to bash humble people or anything I'm all for humility

(Original post by Jalal Uddin)
    Eh, bored so thought I'd make a thread on something that was on my mind recently...

Here's a quote from Muhammed Ali:
    "At home I am a nice guy: but I don't want the world to know. Humble people, I've found, don't get very far".

So using that as a basis d'you think being humble in today's society will get you anywhere? I'm talking career wise and all that sorta stuff.

P.S: Not trying to bash humble people or anything I'm all for humility
    I think Robert Barone, from Everybody Loves Raymond, is spot on. One of his oft-repeated pieces of "wisdom" is:

It's nice to be important. But it's more important to be nice.
    From experience, I've found that humble people are generally more successful, however you define it. Others respect them because they don't feel the need to brag about their achievements to win people over - and as a result their peers don't feel like they're being made to feel inferior. Don't get me wrong, there are times when it's appropriate to talk about achievements (job interviews are the first that come to mind!), but overall I think erring on the side of humility is preferable to being arrogant.

ReputationRep:
    Only be humble around certain people, with the rest? it's a dog eat dog.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackacre)
    I think Robert Barone, from Everybody Loves Raymond, is spot on. One of his oft-repeated pieces of "wisdom" is:

From experience, I've found that humble people are generally more successful, however you define it. Others respect them because they don't feel the need to brag about their achievements to win people over - and as a result their peers don't feel like they're being made to feel inferior. Don't get me wrong, there are times when it's appropriate to talk about achievements (job interviews are the first that come to mind!), but overall I think erring on the side of humility is preferable to being arrogant.
    Haha I quite like that quote

Yeah, I've found there's definitely a correlation between the two. I have this teacher who everyone really likes and recently I found out that he did BRILLIANT in his education. That really made me respect him so much more.

ReputationRep:
    If someone is proud of their achievements and is vocal about it that doesn't bother me. I'm happy for them.

I find it annoying when people are fake trying to come across as humble. Then get angry at other people who are more vocal about their achievements.

Genuine humble people are alright though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackacre)

Not sure how true that is. Most of the surgeons I did work exp with seemed to think they were demi-gods. Maybe it's just surgeons though
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think there are plenty of humble people who have achieved: Benjamin Franklin, Socrates, Bertrand Russell, Abraham Lincoln, Albert Einstein, etc. Humility is often a trait of the wise. I think humility is not the issue, rather it is meekness.

(Original post by bertstare)
    Not sure how true that is. Most of the surgeons I did work exp with seemed to think they were demi-gods. Maybe it's just surgeons though
    I think that's slightly different though - if you really think about what a surgeon does, he's taking very ill people and slicing them open to patch them back together again. The chances of death if you screw it up are pretty high, and you have to live with the guilt of your mistake taking someone away from their family. It's certainly not a job I could do (mainly because I'm squeamish!), so I think it's only natural that you have to develop a sense of bravado - otherwise you wouldn't be willing/able to take those kinds of risks with someone else's life.

I find arrogant people deeply unbearable. Yes, I get that you're super intelligent and have done so much in your life and you're this and you're that, but please, would it really hurt to be a little bit modest? :curious:
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    I've yet to meet or come across a truly humble person. I do think humility is an admirable quality though. So is pride. They have their places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keromedic)
    I've yet to meet or come across a truly humble person. I do think humility is an admirable quality though. So is pride. They have their places.
    Aha, I've had the fortune to meet quite a few. It's quite amazing to see them pass up opportunities where they would probably get them a standing ovation if people knew what they've done and can done.

(Original post by Maid Marian)
    I find arrogant people deeply unbearable. Yes, I get that you're super intelligent and have done so much in your life and you're this and you're that, but please, would it really hurt to be a little bit modest? :curious:
    Agreed.

Although we must admit, despite arrogance being rather detestable we unfortunately prey to it once in a while, intentionally or not.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Aha, I've had the fortune to meet quite a few. It's quite amazing to see them pass up opportunities where they would probably get them a standing ovation if people knew what they've done and can done.
    Imo, depending on the situation, that's just stupid. There's nothing wrong with reaping the rewards of one's work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    I think there are plenty of humble people who have achieved: Benjamin Franklin, Socrates, Bertrand Russell, Abraham Lincoln, Albert Einstein, etc. Humility is often a trait of the wise. I think humility is not the issue, rather it is meekness.
    What's wrong with meekness?

ReputationRep:
    Imo, depending on the situation, that's just stupid. There's nothing wrong with reaping the rewards of one's work.
    Ofc depending on the situation.

But mostly (in my experience) they do it so everyone in their vicinity doesn't feel threatened or less valued which is quite honourable imo.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Ofc depending on the situation.

But mostly (in my experience) they do it so everyone in their vicinity doesn't feel threatened or less valued which is quite honourable imo.
    Are you sure we're talking about humility here?

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure we're talking about humility here?
    What, they're all sorta interlinked

ReputationRep:
    AM better than every single person on this forum. Just so you know.

ReputationRep:
    'When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone . When you're great at something, they'll tell you.'

- Walter Payton

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    To be fair to Muhammed Ali he was a professional boxer. And being paid to beat people up for a living isn't a natural fit with humility. He also came of age in a society where there was serious racial prejudice as well as black power movements that sought to fight back against this injustice more forcefully. Which is all by way of saying, I think Ali's quote makes sense for the times in which he lived.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    What's wrong with meekness?
    I didn't mean to suggest there was something wrong with it, only that I think it's likely it inhibits achievement.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.