The Student Room Group

What effect do ISAs have on Triple Science grades?

Hi, earlier this year I got a B in my Physics ISA, an A in my Chemisty ISA and an A* in the Biology one. I was wondering what effect these will have on my final grade. I know they're only 25% of the final GCSE but, in Biology, for example, if I got a B in all of the three exams, would the A* ISA affect the final grade in any way? As I've been told it will most likely bump up any grade you get in the exam if you've done well in the ISA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
They account for 25% of the final grade.
Original post by bencs25
They account for 25% of the final grade.

Yeah, I know, but would it 'bump up' any grade I got?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AlphaNick
Basically, consider that the GCSE is out of 400.

The mark in each exam is scaled from 0-100 based on the difficulty of the paper. There are three exams and one piece of coursework, all out of 100 UMS marks.

The 0-100 criteria traditionally goes 90% A*, 80% A, 70% B, etc...

So assume you got 70/100 on the ISA in UMS.

You need to get 90% for A*, 80% for A, 70% for B in total out of 400... so 360/400 would be an A*, 320/400 would be an A, 280/400 would be a B.

Your ISA mark is irrelevant providing the net result of your exam corresponds to UMS marks which add to 280 or above. In other words, you've dropped 30 UMS, you cannot afford to drop another 90 to remain at a B grade. But sadly no one knows the UMS scored until after the exam has been sat.

Oh, ok. Thanks a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest