Anybody else have 'super-amazing exam brain'? Watch

Georgie_M
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I was just interested to see if anyone else was subject to this strange phenomena?

A few examples of super-amazing exam brain:

- A few weeks a go I had 2 essays and an exam on the same day, needless to say I only handed in the essays that morning and revised for the exam the hour before I took it. My revision involved memorising 2 essays (5k words total) which I had written several months/1yr previously almost verbatim in an hour.

- a few days ago I wrote a 4k word essay answer in an evening and had it memorised by the morning.

- I have never revised for an exam for longer than 24hrs previously and always seem to be able to recall unlimited information.

Now I don't seem to be able to utilise this 'skill' for any other purpose but when I get in an exam my super-amazing exam brain seems to take over my regular brain and I have never received less than an A at Alevel and 1st at uni. I don't know what super-amazing exam brain means and whether I could harness this skill in a more useful manner.

Does anyone else experience this? I have never met anyone yet who has this bizarre 'life' skill?
Jordooooom
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeaah when it comes to exams, my usually **** memory gets it's arse in gear and I become a devilishly handsome version of rain man.

I also have the ability to bull**** my way through answers.
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Exams start tomorrow-week so it seems I'm about to find out...
Georgie_M
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jordooooom)
Yeaah when it comes to exams, my usually **** memory gets it's arse in gear and I become a devilishly handsome version of rain man.

I also have the ability to bull**** my way through answers.
Yesss! does it feel like it's a totally different brain to you?

I sometimes feel as though my normal brain is holding back my super brain... If that makes any sense... Most of the time my memory is utter ****.
Georgie_M
Rep:
?
(Original post by RayApparently)
Exams start tomorrow-week so it seems I'm about to find out...
Ooo alevels ? Good luck!
sunnydespair
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm sceptical for some reason. Maybe what you are doing is not conceptually difficult, but you have an aptitude for memorisation
NOONA.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I wish I did :rolleyes:
maskofsanity
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Georgie_M)
I have never met anyone yet who has this bizarre 'life' skill?
You've never heard of having a good memory?
Georgie_M
Rep:
?
(Original post by sunnydespair)
I'm sceptical for some reason. Maybe what you are doing is not conceptually difficult, but you have an aptitude for memorisation
Oh no it's definitely all about the memory, but what's strange is that outside of exams I have a pretty average memory. It must be something to do with the pressure and time frame.

I also find it hard to write essays at anything but the last minute, I mean I can write them but it's not the same and I get the best marks when I write them the night before.

I guess the concept might be hard to grasp if you don't also have super-amazing exams brain
Georgie_M
Rep:
?
(Original post by maskofsanity)
You've never heard of having a good memory?
Haha yes but I can not use this good memory at any other time, I wish I could but as I said I don't know how to harness the power.
sunnydespair
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh no it's definitely all about the memory, but what's strange is that outside of exams I have a pretty average memory. It must be something to do with the pressure and time frame.

I also find it hard to write essays at anything but the last minute, I mean I can write them but it's not the same and I get the best marks when I write them the night before.

I guess the concept might be hard to grasp if you don't also have super-amazing exams brain
I think at some point things won't be so easy !!!
Georgie_M
Rep:
?
I think at some point things won't be so easy !!!
What do you mean? In life?

Alas I graduate in 2 months and I will no longer have any use for this skill.
sunnydespair
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What do you mean? In life?

Alas I graduate in 2 months and I will no longer have any use for this skill.
I've never heard of anything to the extent of memorising the way you do to be honest.
Abbie :)
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I studied for a few hours prior to my Modern Studies exam after pretty much never showing up to class for the year and got an A. Same with Biology. Then I study non-stop for Maths, a subject I am good at, and I don't do as well.

Honestly don't know how my mind works haha

same with essays, when I (rarely) do them in advance they are crap, then when pressure hits and there's an hour to the deadline it is an A grade essay -.-
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I generally do better in exam situations, but it has nothing to do with memory, but 'exam technique'.

It's pretty simple really, keep really calm (I normally spend the first 5-10 mins doodling), learn to answer questions rather than regurgitate memories and when you are revising learn methodology rather than results (learning to derive equations is KEY).
Georgie_M
Rep:
?
(Original post by Abbie :))
I studied for a few hours prior to my Modern Studies exam after pretty much never showing up to class for the year and got an A. Same with Biology. Then I study non-stop for Maths, a subject I am good at, and I don't do as well.

Honestly don't know how my mind works haha

same with essays, when I (rarely) do them in advance they are crap, then when pressure hits and there's an hour to the deadline it is an A grade essay -.-
Ha yes this! Our brains are strange.

I've never heard of anything to the extent of memorising the way you do to be honest.
Also although I am hopeless at general knowledge (even things I know I forget) I can seem to remember very long numbers for extended periods of time, another useless skill but probably related.
Georgie_M
Rep:
?
(Original post by mojojojo101)
I generally do better in exam situations, but it has nothing to do with memory, but 'exam technique'.

It's pretty simple really, keep really calm (I normally spend the first 5-10 mins doodling), learn to answer questions rather than regurgitate memories and when you are revising learn methodology rather than results (learning to derive equations is KEY).
I understand his but I think it's slightly different because it's definitely the panic which sets off my memory. Although it sounds as though our subjects are very different. I haven't taken any maths or science based exams since my GCSEs a decade a go so I don't know how I would fair in that environment.
gemmam
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Last year I started an essay 6 hours before the deadline (was originally doing another question but had difficulty researching it so changed at the last minute) and got a 2:1 even though I was quite a bit below the word count.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Champion.m4a
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I was never good at memorising for exams.
eddie1221
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think I'm the same. Outside of exams I'm still intelligent, but with a pretty bad memory. Even just before the exams I feel like I don't know much. But as soon as I start the exam, I can recall pretty much everything I've learnt about the subject.
I think that I just perform better under pressure. So when I'm not sitting an exam, my brain basically cruises and then goes in to overdrive when the pressures on!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1377)
79.5%
Leave (355)
20.5%

Watched Threads