The Student Room Group

I will have no friends from uni attending my graduation

I have made no friends on my course, and a few very casual around campus who I only see from time to time and have no phone number for.

After a happy year as very special but not sexual friends my ex girlfriend left me even as a friend last month it seems, because I got jealous about her flirting viciously with another guy friend and claimed she missed me when I'm gone but was depressed when I was with her now. By the tricky cultural and family circumstances she claimed for breaking up with me or by virtue of me being depressing, I do not know. If it helps she had hinted at having her own mh problems getting her down throughout our relationship.
Besides from her, I spent so much time getting anal about becoming an 'alpha male' that I stressed myself out and scared myself out of talking to any girls, feeling threatened by the secret sexual.nature of young adulthood. In fact I generally just became more socially paranoid even around other guys esp those I saw.as 'campus kings' etc.

I have dropped in and out of societies due to my mental health difficulties. For the majority of my undergraduate career, I have felt drained and sleep deprived and thought I was going to die.

I spent many nights in the library on TSR or at home alone or with my parents.
I look on Facebook and everyone seems to be having a ball in their house, I've had a crappy lonely time.

I planned to make a band in second year but my friend bailed out at the last minute.
My friend made a successful band which I was going to audition for, but when I moved house I had to sell my drums, and they needed someone with a car and kit so I didn't get through to the audition stage. Incidentally my musician status was one of the reasons my ex fell in love with me and a considerable source of happiness and pride for me. I ****ing resent having no drum kit and want to go bust some beats out asap.

I lived at home to save bills, that was dumb although necessary because I was just ill in first year.

I took 2 and a half years just convincing myself I was 'allowed' to go to the gym due to anxiety and OCD.

On the occasions I drank I entered a depression for a few days after, so.the heavy drink culture surrounding student life scared me.

I've made some attempt to rectify all of this by joining a small society for my final semester which I have made a couple of good friends in, but none of them are in my year, one's a mature student, and the society itself is going to the dogs due to guild politics.

My best friend at university is in fact a postgrad mature student who is paid by a Disability Support Team to mentor and coach me as part of my support plan.

What the **** have I done wrong, feel like such a ****. I have plenty of friends at home so it's not like I hate my life and THEY are the people I trust completely, and I hate to throw such an intense pity party, but my university social life has been on all accounts dire and I am going to feel like an idiot at my graduation ceremony foreveralone.
I feel like my parents will be embarrassed even as I hopefully get my 2.1 certificate, and I feel like a total ****ing idiot for not listening to my brother. Had I have known I would spend half my university life a paranoid and navel gazing hermit, I would have thought twice about staying at home to play martyr for my depressed mum, the last child in a broken home, and would have just got out into halls and **** my pants making as many friends as possible.

Tl;dr Riku feels he has failed miserably at 'student life'-a WORD OF WARNING to any hopeful freshers to put yourself out there! This is all my fault-except for the mental health problems and economy I guess.

Where do I go from here?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
My god I have just summed up everything I wanted to say for 3 years in what took 100 odd threads. I'm printing this and showing my counsellor tomorrow.
Original post by Riku
My god I have just summed up everything I wanted to say for 3 years in what took 100 odd threads. I'm printing this and showing my counsellor tomorrow.

You need to breathe.. Now you need to think, what's the point? It's already happened, you're moving on, just avoid making the same mistakes when you move out.
Reply 3
Original post by Melon girl
You need to breathe.. Now you need to think, what's the point? It's already happened, you're moving on, just avoid making the same mistakes when you move out.

What mistake? I can't repeat university life. I'm not moving on, I have my ceremony to dread and yet look.forward to yet.
Original post by Riku
What mistake? I can't repeat university life. I'm not moving on, I have my ceremony to dread and yet look.forward to yet.

She means when you start work. I know it can be difficult with various mental health problems to be outgoing, but I don't believe that it's something another person can sort out for you. You really have to understand that you have to beat your issues before you can achieve this life you want for yourself.

I'm not saying go into denial about your problems - there's a fine line between denial and overcoming issues. I have no easy answer for you, and I can assure you that nobody on this board will have either.

You'll find lots of people will make suggestions like, 'Yeah, you should've just left your mum because it's your life,' which is an easy suggestion to make in retrospect but almost certainly not such a simple thing to deal with at the time. So if the case is that you can't do anything but make retrospective amendments to your life, then why are you bothering. You physically can't make those changes.

You ask where to go from here?

It seems obvious to me; you've spent the past 3 years as an outcast - sometimes by choice, sometimes due to health problems and others due to a sense of duty to others. I'd be nothing but proud of the latter of the three, understanding of the second and thoughtful about the first.

'Why didn't I join more socials?' *If it's something you can't change, then why are you so upset? You're going to have plenty of time to make friends with work colleagues etc.
'Why do I feel that alcohol *has* to lead to negative feelings?' *If you go into a situation completely scared out of your wits, you're going to make it difficult to enjoy.

Your health problems are something which will take time to overcome. Not much I can say there; no real experience to deliver empathy from, I'm afraid.

You made the choice of sacrificing yourself for your mum. It's a pretty noble thing to do, even if it makes you miserable. If you can say that you've made your mum happier by even 1% by just being around, then it's a triumph in that respect.

Keep fighting ^_^
(edited 9 years ago)
Oh, Tom. :cry2:
Reply 6
Original post by + polarity -
Oh, Tom. :cry2:

My name's Riku. People have it worse man, it's all my own fault and I am not sure ai can forgive myself for it
cue violin music! :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by AdamskiUK
She means when you start work. I know it can be difficult with various mental health problems to be outgoing, but I don't believe that it's something another person can sort out for you. You really have to understand that you have to beat your issues before you can achieve this life you want for yourself.

I'm not saying go into denial about your problems - there's a fine line between denial and overcoming issues. I have no easy answer for you, and I can assure you that nobody on this board will have either.

You'll find lots of people will make suggestions like, 'Yeah, you should've just left your mum because it's your life,' which is an easy suggestion to make in retrospect but almost certainly not such a simple thing to deal with at the time. So if the case is that you can't do anything but make retrospective amendments to your life, then why are you bothering. You physically can't make those changes.

You ask where to go from here?

It seems obvious to me; you've spent the past 3 years as an outcast - sometimes by choice, sometimes due to health problems and others due to a sense of duty to others. I'd be nothing but proud of the latter of the three, understanding of the second and thoughtful about the first.

'Why didn't I join more socials?' *If it's something you can't change, then why are you so upset? You're going to have plenty of time to make friends with work colleagues etc.
'Why do I feel that alcohol *has* to lead to negative feelings?' *If you go into a situation completely scared out of your wits, you're going to make it difficult to enjoy.

Your health problems are something which will take time to overcome. Not much I can say there; no real experience to deliver empathy from, I'm afraid.

You made the choice of sacrificing yourself for your mum. It's a pretty noble thing to do, even if it makes you miserable. If you can say that you've made your mum happier by even 1% by just being around, then it's a triumph in that respect.

Keep fighting ^_^

I'll try to reply in full later but considering I lived with my dad since third.year and she's happily remarried (although that is the inly thing keeping her off a much higher dosage of Citalopram), I'm not sure I deserve any sympathy for it. If anything I felt I made her depression worse with my problems :-/
>90% of my friends were on my course, but I graduated at a collegiate university so I was largely with people I didn't know. The only exception being two people from my course, who I only briefly bumped into and a few of my first year housemates, who I'd barely spoken to since first year.

It was still a nice day.

You'll have a degree soon, so in theory the world's your shellfish - do whatever will make you happy.
Reply 10
Original post by Manitude
>90% of my friends were on my course, but I graduated at a collegiate university so I was largely with people I didn't know. The only exception being two people from my course, who I only briefly bumped into and a few of my first year housemates, who I'd barely spoken to since first year.

It was still a nice day.

You'll have a degree soon, so in theory the world's your shellfish - do whatever will make you happy.

Ok, so it won't be the end of the world :-)
I'm looking forward to celebrating my hard work and I think I'll do it for my parents, but it is going to highlight to my family and friends how I'm a social reject now
Reply 11
I'm surprised people haven't said 'I'm not surprised, if you're anywhere near as annoying and melodramatic in real life as you are on TSR no wonder you can't make any friends' because I don't aim to go around acting like this irl, certainly not to the extent I did, but my uni experience has made me just...disappointed in that aspect of myself

Quick Reply

Latest