How does Darwin criticize the Design argument?Watch
1. "An Appearance of Design"
- Evolution from Natural Selection makes it appear as if the complexity of creation has been intricately designed, however humans are nothing more than DNA carriers, and we impose design on ourselves.
- Gene-molecules of DNA are the fundamental units of natural selection, ‘replicators’.
- Humans are nothing more than ‘vehicles’ for the replicators.
- The success/failure of the replicators depends on their ability to build successful vehicles.
- Dawkins refers to memes as the unit of cultural inheritance; memes are essentially ideas and are operated on by natural selection.
- It’s for this reason Dawkins argues that humans appear to have an appreciation of beauty, but it’s merely a survival mechanism.
>"All attempts to understand humanity before 1859 are useless" - this is the year of Darwin's Origin Of Species that challenged the Theological argument by showing order and purpose are achieved by adaptation over the years.
> Paley is right to say that complexities need explaining however Natural Selection explains this.
> Appearance of design is simply an illusion, black holes aren't ordered and are chaotic
>The Design Argument is no longer an alternative to a universe by chance
> Natural Selection is self explanatory
Things like the eye show Paley's Design Qua Purpose and that things like the eye have a purpose to see. This purpose links to God, however Dennet says that even complicated things can be explained through Natural Selection and even the eye has design flaws (eg. the blind spot) so it is unlikely a creator has been involved.