How does Darwin criticize the Design argument? Watch

Dazzling_Belinda
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I need help on how Darwin opposes the teleological (design) argument because of his evolution/natural selection theory?

Posted from TSR Mobile
crozier96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
His criticism of the Design Argument splits into two platforms, using evidence from Darwinian Evolution:

1. "An Appearance of Design"
- Evolution from Natural Selection makes it appear as if the complexity of creation has been intricately designed, however humans are nothing more than DNA carriers, and we impose design on ourselves.

2. "Memes"
- Gene-molecules of DNA are the fundamental units of natural selection, ‘replicators’.
- Humans are nothing more than ‘vehicles’ for the replicators.
- The success/failure of the replicators depends on their ability to build successful vehicles.
- Dawkins refers to memes as the unit of cultural inheritance; memes are essentially ideas and are operated on by natural selection.
- It’s for this reason Dawkins argues that humans appear to have an appreciation of beauty, but it’s merely a survival mechanism.
idontevenbeth
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think the question is likely to ask "Explain the Scientific arguments against the Design Argument", you can put Dawkins and Darwin I think...

Dawkins says:
>"All attempts to understand humanity before 1859 are useless" - this is the year of Darwin's Origin Of Species that challenged the Theological argument by showing order and purpose are achieved by adaptation over the years.
> Paley is right to say that complexities need explaining however Natural Selection explains this.
> Appearance of design is simply an illusion, black holes aren't ordered and are chaotic
>The Design Argument is no longer an alternative to a universe by chance
> Natural Selection is self explanatory
Dazzling_Belinda
Rep:
?
What is the evolution of the eye? Is that something to mention in the exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
idontevenbeth
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Dazzling_Belinda)
What is the evolution of the eye? Is that something to mention in the exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Things like the eye show Paley's Design Qua Purpose and that things like the eye have a purpose to see. This purpose links to God, however Dennet says that even complicated things can be explained through Natural Selection and even the eye has design flaws (eg. the blind spot) so it is unlikely a creator has been involved.
Dazzling_Belinda
Rep:
?
Who's Dennet? and thanks
Tangeton
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You can also use evolution of the eye for Dawkins. This is his 'mountain improbable' that pretty much sums up evolution and natural selection. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mep5qReiq04
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (13)
5.58%
No (220)
94.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise