Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter


    Im 21 and am currently in my first year of study where i have received the basic student finance.

    This coming September i will be going into second year of university and am planning on applying through student finance as an independent student.

    In the tax year
    10/11 i made under £7500
    11/12 i made £7500 +
    12/13 i made £7500 +
    13/14 i made £7500 +

    From my understanding based on the above financial information i should be able to apply as in independent student.
    My question is, can you only apply as an independent student from the first year of study? Also, would all 3 years of earning £7500+ have to of been before i started studying at university? Is it okay for me to apply from this year?

    Also, is it okay to use my 13/14 p60? As i know when you are applying using your parents income student finance ask for the previous years evidence. Eg, for this year they would ask for the 12/13 one.

    Thank you in advance
    • Official TSR Representative

    Official TSR Representative
    Hi there,

    We would require evidence that covers 3 years before you started your course.

    We can accept 36 months worth of evidence, however it does not have to be consecutive months or years. We would normally expect your income to be in excess of £7,500 per annum, however we will look at each case on an individual basis.

    • Thread Starter

    Surely it's a little silly to require 3 years before I started my course?
    If I have just qualified to be an independent student now then that shouldn't be taken away just because I have already started university. At the end of the day for the last 3 years I have been paying my way on my own and therefore I should be classed correctly. Why does it matter it I was a student for the past 8 months. That 7500 doesn't include my student finance given this year so I don't see the problem.

University open days

  • University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.