Turn on thread page Beta

Girls opinions please, poll included! watch

• View Poll Results: Based on the information in the post:
    Yes, it's a bit odd to live with you brother and it would put me off.
    5.26%
    Nope, it's fine and it wouldn't impact my attraction/interest.
    94.74%

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested to hear any opinions you have on the situation below.

I am currently sharing a flat with my older brother. Its an amazing flat for someone my age and I'm concerned that people will just think it's my brothers and I'm leeching from him (which I guess is a terribly unattractive trait). The downside is that if I moved out I probably couldn't find anything as good on my own, due to returns to scale when it comes to accommodation.

I'm concerned about how a girl views a guy sharing a flat with his brother, would this situation put you off or would you think it's strange?

I'm 23 and my brother is 28 we both work in the financial sector and split rent down the middle. His girlfriend shares the flat with us as well, she stays in his room. We all get on well and it's never awkward or anything.

Am I concerned over nothing?

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't bother me tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Totally fine

ReputationRep:
    You sharing a flat with your brother wouldn't bother me in the slightest, but your feeling the need to mention how much the flat is worth would put me off you, it seems superficial and like you're trying to show off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy92)

I am currently sharing a flat with my older brother. Its an amazing flat, worth about £1M in west London.

I'm concerned about how a girl views a guy sharing a flat with his brother, would this situation put you off or would you think it's strange?

I'm 23 and my brother is 28 we both work in the financial sector and split rent down the middle. His girlfriend shares the flat with us as well, she stays in his room. We all get on well and it's never awkward or anything.

Who in the right mind would give up that flat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    You sharing a flat with your brother wouldn't bother me in the slightest, but your feeling the need to mention how much the flat is worth would put me off you, it seems superficial and like you're trying to show off.
    Thanks for your opinion. I've edited the OP to remove the value, I hadn't thought of it as trying to show off, hopefully the edited post reflects my concern regarding the value.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your opinion. I've edited the OP to remove the value, I hadn't thought of it as trying to show off, hopefully the edited post reflects my concern regarding the value.
    It just seemed a bit off, I mean say we were on a date and you were telling me you lived with your brother and then blurted out "in a flat worth about £1M" It would be really off putting, I'd wonder why on earth you needed to state that or what you were trying to prove.

Really though any girl who judges you for living with your brother isn't worth your time because there is nothing wrong with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    It just seemed a bit off, I mean say we were on a date and you were telling me you lived with your brother and then blurted out "in a flat worth about £1M" It would be really off putting, I'd wonder why on earth you needed to state that or what you were trying to prove.

Really though any girl who judges you for living with your brother isn't worth your time because there is nothing wrong with it.
    Yeh I totally agree, that would be a bit odd on a date!

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I totally agree, that would be a bit odd on date!
    Exactly, so if you wouldn't say that kind of a thing of a date or wouldn't think it something that would make sense to say (unless she asked how much it was worth...but if I were you I'd find that off putting unless she was a realtor or something ) then it shouldn't need to mentioned in terms of advice on the specific topic of whether it's weird to be living with your brother.

The best advice I can give you is to be yourself, don't try to act or come across as someone you're not, don't pick out things in your life and worry if you will be judged for them because more than likely you won't be.

ReputationRep:

I am currently sharing a flat with my older brother. Its an amazing flat for someone my age and I'm concerned that people will just think it's my brothers and I'm leeching from him (which I guess is a terribly unattractive trait). The downside is that if I moved out I probably couldn't find anything as good on my own, due to returns to scale when it comes to accommodation.

well,as you're only 23 I can't imagine it being that big of a deal really-I mean I'd personally prefer my OH living on his own,but I wouldn't be put off by your situation as such. Had you been a few years older(say 25 or above) I think it would've seemed a bit weird.

ReputationRep:
    Nope it wouldn't put me off in the slightest nor would I find it weird.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Better than living with your parents!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your opinions everyone.

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.