This discussion is closed.
material breach
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Pixelfairy #1)
Drama-wise: very good
Factual content: Basic facts were there although I'm not sure it was all that accurate as you said. Seemed like a bit to fill in the gaps inbetween the real story.
yeah i guess its hard to make ppl discovering mathmathical formulae seem exciting on tv as its difficult to capture the moment they realise what their discovery means also i think it probably happens over time.

I thought that the person who played Hawking tho was very good.
Pixelfairy #1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Speciez99)
yeah i guess its hard to make ppl discovering mathmathical formulae seem exciting on tv as its difficult to capture the moment they realise what their discovery means also i think it probably happens over time.

I thought that the person who played Hawking tho was very good.
Yeah I'm not disputing the acting... it was a very good drama as you'd expect from the BBC.

How could anyone make maths seem fun? :rolleyes: Isn't that impossible?
john !!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
No,

theoretical physics i like, and I absolutely hate electronics.
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Speciez99)
on a related topic did anyone watch the program about Stephan Hawkings last night on BBC2? if so what did you think of it?
I thought it was a bloody disgrace, I was cringing throughout the whole thing.
Barny
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think everyone hates electricity, at least everyone in my Physics class does. There is absolute nothing interesting about it and some of the concepts are quite difficult to grasp..
4Ed
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
firstly, can i join the UKL physics & maths socs if there are ones?

secondly, i saw that program as well, and it WAS pretty dull. fairly good acting, though i guess most of the general public wouldn't have understood what those people were saying - some A-Level concepts there! at least it was all correct, unlike some of the bull**** they make up in sci fi films.
Barny
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
firstly, can i join the UKL physics & maths socs if there are ones?

secondly, i saw that program as well, and it WAS pretty dull. fairly good acting, though i guess most of the general public wouldn't have understood what those people were saying - some A-Level concepts there! at least it was all correct, unlike some of the bull**** they make up in sci fi films.
All it did is make Physicists look bloody geeky and socially retarded. My mum doesnt know the name Stephen Hawkins, but when I said 'The guy in the wheelchair who gets the computer to speak for him' she was like 'Oooooooh him!, I thought these Physics people were just a bunch of weirdo spackers!'
MyNameIsNeo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by imasillynarb)
All it did is make Physicists look bloody geeky and socially retarded. My mum doesnt know the name Stephen Hawkins, but when I said 'The guy in the wheelchair who gets the computer to speak for him' she was like 'Oooooooh him!, I thought these Physics people were just a bunch of weirdo spackers!'
Ok, maybe I don't want to be a member of UKL Physics Society!
material breach
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
hmm your mum is really tolerent of people with disablilites i can see. To a certain extent i think that you will find alot of the best physists in the world are rather socailly inempt if you take Murray Gell-Mann who proposed the exsistance of quarks, he took something like 2 or more years to finish his autobiography since he could not get on with the author. And you cannot change the way someone looks or is. No one is saying in any way that is what all physicst are like and anyone who did were be just as intolerent as your mum.
4Ed
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i'm quite into mechanics and quantum physics/particle physics btw...

astro doesn't hold that much of an interest for me, sorry 2776
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)

astro doesn't hold that much of an interest for me, sorry 2776
Heresy!
Pixelfairy #1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Sir Isaac Newton and Einstein were both left-handed... I wonder how many other great physicists are left handed? But left-handed people are apparently more prone to autism :rolleyes:
4Ed
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Heresy!
i don't know... the sizes and distances involved are probably a bit too mindboggling for me. and i don't like learning the various constellation names either.
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
All it did is make Physicists look bloody geeky and socially retarded.
And? Have you heard of Paul Dirac? He had a theory about there being an optimum distance when a woman's face was most beautiful. He basically reasoned: at d = 0, it's blurred, at d = infinity, you can't see her, so there has to be a distance in between. When someone (I think it was Gamow, one of his PhD students or something) asked him, "how close have you been to a woman's face?", he answered "about 3 metres".
Nylex
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Pixelfairy #1)
Sir Isaac Newton and Einstein were both left-handed... I wonder how many other great physicists are left handed? But left-handed people are apparently more prone to autism :rolleyes:
What exactly is autism?
MyNameIsNeo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It is quite interesting that so many of you have said that you like Mechanics when in fact physics students do very little mechanics at university. Dynamics and Statics is normally the domain of Mechanical and Structural Engineers!
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Nylex)
And? Have you heard of Paul Dirac? He had a theory about there being an optimum distance when a woman's face was most beautiful. He basically reasoned: at d = 0, it's blurred, at d = infinity, you can't see her, so there has to be a distance in between. When someone (I think it was Gamov, one of his PhD students or something) asked him, "how close have you been to a woman's face?", he answered "about 3 metres".
So what is the optimum distance then?
acidbubble
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i quite enjoyed watching it, got to see a bit how cambridge was. nice acting. tho i have read quite a few books about hawking i still learnt some new things about the man.
_ELiTeCoOkie_
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Hoofbeat)
Well, if you're not planning to study physics at uni, then I don't think you can be a FULL member! But you can be awarded an honourary membeship for the work you've been doing to answer people's questions
ok so can i add that in my sig? i got an A at as physics
Nylex
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
So what is the optimum distance then?
It was just a theory, so he didn't actually find out.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 12 Dec '19
  • Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Musical Theatre Undergraduate
    Fri, 13 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19

Do you work while at uni?