Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone !

I'm strongly thinking of applying the MSc Criminology in London Metropolitan. First of all, I'm french and I did a law university in France. I have begun to apply online. The university asked to get a lower second class honours degree in the field I want to study. The thing is that my law degree was obtained at 10.063 points (which is ordinary pass). I know that can considerably reduce my hope to go to this university.

However, it has been 6 years I'm working as a reservist in the French Army (Gendarmerie Nationale). It is all related to police, criminal justice, etc. The university said that one relevant experience in this field would be taken in consideration.

Do you think I have any chance to apply?

Thanks in advance for advise !
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Make a lot of reference to your work experience, say what you learned from your law degree that would be transferable to the Criminology degree (organisation blah blah blah, and then maybe if any of the modules in the Msc link with any you did in your Law degree). Make sure your reference explains everything correctly, and as it's London Met (a very low ranking uni), they may be willing to offer you a place, subject to interviews etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nagatsu)
    Hello everyone !

I'm strongly thinking of applying the MSc Criminology in London Metropolitan. First of all, I'm french and I did a law university in France. I have begun to apply online. The university asked to get a lower second class honours degree in the field I want to study. The thing is that my law degree was obtained at 10.063 points (which is ordinary pass). I know that can considerably reduce my hope to go to this university.

However, it has been 6 years I'm working as a reservist in the French Army (Gendarmerie Nationale). It is all related to police, criminal justice, etc. The university said that one relevant experience in this field would be taken in consideration.

Do you think I have any chance to apply?

Thanks in advance for advise !
    It's always worth emailing admissions to see, but I would imagine that a university like London Metropolitan will be happy to be lenient as the money will be their main interest. I should warn you that they are considered one of the worst UK unis.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your answer. Indeed, I saw a lot of bad reviews about that uni... Is it that bad? I don't know what to think. They propose interesting program for Criminology. I should maybe trying other uni and see if they can accept me too.
    But, as I don't have a second class honours degree, maybe that's the only uni which will accept me haha !

ReputationRep:
    It isnt a good Uni to go to. It has very low academic standards and is considered a bit of a joke here.

Spend your money somewhere else - Portsmouth, Leicester, Middlesex, Surrey etc. are FAR better. With your experience the degree result wont be as important - email each University Department and ask if they will consider your application.

ReputationRep:
    Hey - I'm French and I am doing a BSc in Criminology (and Sociology) so I probably can help you in some way. What do you want to do with your degree? Do you wish to stay in the UK afterwards? Which area of criminology are you most interested in?

ReputationRep:
    Hey Green Magnus,

Which university are you studying in? Why not staying in UK but you never know where life will take you ! Tbh, I can't really tell which area I'm the most interested in because I studied general law, not even criminology ! But, all crime control and community safety related are the most relevant to me.

I'm a bit lost with all those Msc/Ma...

ReputationRep:
    Heya,

I'm at Royal Holloway (University of London). They don't do Masters in Criminology but lots of other unis do, you can look up a list of Masters in Criminology in London here. Honestly, I think considering your experience you can do better than Metropolitan. You probably have more experience than most other applicants (who will be straight from an undergrad) so you can emphasize this in your cover letter.

MA=Masters of Arts
    MSc=Masters of Science
    In an MA, you'll have to write a lot of essays and think more theoretically while MSc tend to be more about research skills (like data analysis), but you will still have to write a bunch of essays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nagatsu)
    Thanks for your answer. Indeed, I saw a lot of bad reviews about that uni... Is it that bad? I don't know what to think. They propose interesting program for Criminology. I should maybe trying other uni and see if they can accept me too.
    But, as I don't have a second class honours degree, maybe that's the only uni which will accept me haha !
    I've no personal experience but I've heard lots about how disorganised they are, a couple of years ago they got their licence to take on international (non EU) students evoked for a while because they weren't making enough checks, student satisfaction is low and they were recently ranked the worst UK uni. At postgraduate level if you can afford to pay many universities will either be more lenient with the requirements or accept you onto the postgraduate diploma (the taught modules) and then if you pass them with good enough marks they will let you take the dissertation to get the full degree.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.