The Student Room Group

What are my chances to get in?

I want to get master's degree in one of the top 5 or so universities for philosophy in the UK. Cambridge, St Andrews (my most favorite), UCL, Durham, LSE.

I am from North Europe and our grading system is different from UK. I used this UCAS guide of conversion, and what I got was:

A: 87.23%
B: 10%
D: 2.13%

I could have done better, but at the time I didn't really think I'd go to study abroad, so I ditched a few courses and one did not attend at all (and got the D respectively).

What are my chances of getting into one of the universities mentioned above?
Reply 1
Original post by londonbird
I want to get master's degree in one of the top 5 or so universities for philosophy in the UK. Cambridge, St Andrews (my most favorite), UCL, Durham, LSE.

I am from North Europe and our grading system is different from UK. I used this UCAS guide of conversion, and what I got was:

A: 87.23%
B: 10%
D: 2.13%

I could have done better, but at the time I didn't really think I'd go to study abroad, so I ditched a few courses and one did not attend at all (and got the D respectively).

What are my chances of getting into one of the universities mentioned above?

Hi!

I am not certain as to what you are studying currently? Maybe it helps if you post your average of the course you are doing now unconverted?
Reply 2
Original post by 92DL
Hi!

I am not certain as to what you are studying currently? Maybe it helps if you post your average of the course you are doing now unconverted?

I have a b.a. in philosophy. My overall average is 8.521
Reply 3
I have a b.a. in philosophy. My overall average is 8.521

Which country you study in?
Reply 4
Original post by 92DL
Which country you study in?

Latvia
Reply 5
It seems from the UCL website that most courses require a 2.1 Which would be an 8 in your country.
This is obviously no guarantee, but that means your chances are most likely quite good.
You have to check each individual website to figure out the exact entry requirements for your program.
In case you have any additional work experience this would definitely be a plus if you slacked off during your degree but as far as I can see you did a great job :wink:

Best of luck
Reply 6
Original post by 92DL

Thank you very much! I finally found all the minimum requirements for all the uni's I'm interested in.
Reply 7
Cambridge lists its requirements precisely: http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/students/gradadmissions/prospec/international/qualifications/latvia.html. This would indicate that a 9/10 from Latvia would be a (high?) 2.1 from the UK.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Zefiros
Cambridge lists its requirements precisely: http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/students/gradadmissions/prospec/international/qualifications/latvia.html. This would indicate that a 9/10 from Latvia would be a (high?) 2.1 from the UK.

Yep, I saw it. Insanely high requirements. Considering that from UK applicants they only ask 67%. We were awarded 9's for perfect tests/papers, and it was implied that 10's go to those demigods who do excellent independent work outside of class and then present it to the professor for evaluation. Oh well. St Andrews, here I come...
Reply 9
Insanely high requirements. Considering that from UK applicants they only ask 67%.

Grading in the UK is weighted so the standard of work to achieve a 67% is likely to be different to that expected else where. The 9 may seem a little steep but it's probable that this is a measure taken in response to varying standards of auditing in higher education in different countries.
Reply 10
Yep, I saw it. Insanely high requirements. Considering that from UK applicants they only ask 67%. We were awarded 9's for perfect tests/papers, and it was implied that 10's go to those demigods who do excellent independent work outside of class and then present it to the professor for evaluation. Oh well. St Andrews, here I come...

Bear in mind that 67% is a minimum requirement, not a guarantee of an offer, I can't speak for this particular course, but many Cam courses that state a minimum 2:1 often give actual conditions of a first, especially if they are competitive courses.

Original post by ZakV
Grading in the UK is weighted so the standard of work to achieve a 67% is likely to be different to that expected else where. The 9 may seem a little steep but it's probable that this is a measure taken in response to varying standards of auditing in higher education in different countries.

And this. OP may be lucky is not from one of those countries where Cam require a masters to do a masters!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending