This discussion is closed.
Hoofbeat
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Anyone recommend any good Maths books (not textbooks!) that are an interesting read. I currently studying only Single Maths @ A-Level and will be studying Physics at Uni this October, and so I'm looking for aomse books to read over the summer that will broadern my mathematical knowledge and thirst! Cheers
Ralfskini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Hoofbeat)
Anyone recommend any good Maths books (not textbooks!) that are an interesting read. I currently studying only Single Maths @ A-Level and will be studying Physics at Uni this October, and so I'm looking for aomse books to read over the summer that will broadern my mathematical knowledge and thirst! Cheers

Fermat's last theorem.
hornblower
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Check out Amazon, http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...487562-6906816
Hoofbeat
Rep:
?
Thanks!
Hoofbeat
Rep:
?
One thing though, who is the author?! As I've found two "Fermat's Last Theorem" but with 2 completely different authors!
Bezza
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
One thing though, who is the author?! As I've found two "Fermat's Last Theorem" but with 2 completely different authors!
I've read the one by Simon Singh and found it very interesting. Also The Code Book by him is good too - not really maths but interesting. Talks about quantum cryptography a bit too which links in with physics.
Fermat
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I've got a copy of that

The author (mine) is Amir D.Aczel
Published by "Four Walls Eight Windows"
First Published 1996
Price (then) £12.99
Pages: 140 (ca. A5)

From what I remember, It's an interesting, pleasing, and easy read.
john !!
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Fermat's Last Theorum, Simon Singh.
Hoofbeat
Rep:
?
Cheers! That's the book I thought as that one has loads of good reviews but have now found two other maths books with the same title but with two other authors! lol
Leeroy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Go on the cambridge uni maths site - they have a categorised suggested reading list, i think theirs a leisure reading section (or similar title) which are quite good - fermats last theorem is on the list i believe
IntegralAnomaly
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
this book/textbook is a must for a undergraduate first and second year mathematician,physicist or engineer:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...452406-7959611
[email protected]
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by IntegralAnomaly)
this book/textbook is a must for a undergraduate first and second year mathematician,physicist or engineer:
Fermat's Last Theorem - definately!
The Man Who Loved Only Numbers (it was fantastic!!!)
Pi in the Sky (also good, not as good as the first two though)
or anything by Ian Stewart
theone
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
What Is Mathematics? - definitely,

Also, a similar book i imagine to Integral Anomoly's, mathematical methods for science students, very good at introducing concepts neccessary for maths/physics at university.
Weejimmie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
A Mathematician's Apology by G H Hardy
Ramanujan also by Hardy
Littlewood's Miscellany
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by IntegralAnomaly)
Definetly a good book.
john !!
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hey! I have that one!
It's a bit complex at the moment, I'm going to get into it befre I go to university though.
Hoofbeat
Rep:
?
ME 2! I've already got that, thanks to a recommendation by Mik1a! I only got it about 2wks ago though, so havent really used it yet.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Musical Theatre Undergraduate
    Fri, 13 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20

Do you work while at uni?