The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Hoofbeat
Anyone recommend any good Maths books (not textbooks!) that are an interesting read. I currently studying only Single Maths @ A-Level and will be studying Physics at Uni this October, and so I'm looking for aomse books to read over the summer that will broadern my mathematical knowledge and thirst! Cheers :smile:

Fermat's last theorem.
Reply 2
Hoofbeat
Anyone recommend any good Maths books (not textbooks!) that are an interesting read. I currently studying only Single Maths @ A-Level and will be studying Physics at Uni this October, and so I'm looking for aomse books to read over the summer that will broadern my mathematical knowledge and thirst! Cheers :smile:

Check out Amazon, http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/278320/ref=br_bx_1_c_2_1/026-9487562-6906816
Reply 3
Thanks! :smile:
Reply 4
One thing though, who is the author?! As I've found two "Fermat's Last Theorem" but with 2 completely different authors!
Reply 5
Hoofbeat
One thing though, who is the author?! As I've found two "Fermat's Last Theorem" but with 2 completely different authors!

I've read the one by Simon Singh and found it very interesting. Also The Code Book by him is good too - not really maths but interesting. Talks about quantum cryptography a bit too which links in with physics.
Reply 6
Hoofbeat

I've got a copy of that :biggrin:

The author (mine) is Amir D.Aczel
Published by "Four Walls Eight Windows"
First Published 1996
Price (then) £12.99
Pages: 140 (ca. A5)

From what I remember, It's an interesting, pleasing, and easy read.
Reply 7
Fermat's Last Theorum, Simon Singh.
Reply 8
Cheers! That's the book I thought as that one has loads of good reviews but have now found two other maths books with the same title but with two other authors! lol
Reply 9
Hoofbeat

Go on the cambridge uni maths site - they have a categorised suggested reading list, i think theirs a leisure reading section (or similar title) which are quite good - fermats last theorem is on the list i believe
this book/textbook is a must for a undergraduate first and second year mathematician,physicist or engineer:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0199249725/qid=1081804358/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_2_3/026-5452406-7959611
Reply 11
IntegralAnomaly
this book/textbook is a must for a undergraduate first and second year mathematician,physicist or engineer:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0199249725/qid=1081804358/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_2_3/026-5452406-7959611

Fermat's Last Theorem - definately!
The Man Who Loved Only Numbers (it was fantastic!!!)
Pi in the Sky (also good, not as good as the first two though)
or anything by Ian Stewart
Reply 12
What Is Mathematics? - definitely,

Also, a similar book i imagine to Integral Anomoly's, mathematical methods for science students, very good at introducing concepts neccessary for maths/physics at university.
Reply 13
Hoofbeat

A Mathematician's Apology by G H Hardy
Ramanujan also by Hardy
Littlewood's Miscellany
Reply 14
IntegralAnomaly

Definetly a good book.
Reply 15
Hey! I have that one!
It's a bit complex at the moment, I'm going to get into it befre I go to university though. :smile:
Reply 16
ME 2! I've already got that, thanks to a recommendation by Mik1a! I only got it about 2wks ago though, so havent really used it yet.

Latest