A/A* students: any last minute exam tips? Watch

malena123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
To students out there who got As and A*s for their GCSEs: do you have any exam tips for upcoming few weeks? I've done all of my revision and I'm aiming for all A/A* grades and I just wondering if there is anything I should before I go into the exam hall?

I know exam technique is specific to the subject/exam board etc so I don't really require those types of tips but just generic ones really

Thanks for any help in advance! and good luck to you all for your GCSEs/A-Levels
delicious one
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by malena123)
To students out there who got As and A*s for their GCSEs: do you have any exam tips for upcoming few weeks? I've done all of my revision and I'm aiming for all A/A* grades and I just wondering if there is anything I should before I go into the exam hall?

I know exam technique is specific to the subject/exam board etc so I don't really require those types of tips but just generic ones really

Thanks for any help in advance! and good luck to you all for your GCSEs/A-Levels
Genuinely the best thing to do is not to stress out. They probably aren't as hard as you expect - I thought I was going to fail as I did no revision but it was fine in the end.
Nothematic
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Take some deep breaths, make sure you've revised any content you're not happy with ~30 minutes before the exam and when you're lining up outside think through all of the things that could come up.
JordanL_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For science, use these videos: http://www.my-gcsescience.com/ Honestly, they're brilliant. I'd hardly done any work and I thought it was too late, but somebody linked me that site. I watched them all in the days before the exam (you could even watch a whole subject the night before) and ended up with 100% in all 3 sciences (additional). If you've done your revision already, they're a really good way to refresh everything the night before the exam.

Do as many questions as you can - this is really important. That way you'll know if you don't understand something - sometimes you'll have revised something and feel like you understand it, but when you get a question on it you end up getting it completely wrong. If you do a question and you do get it wrong, go over it again. If you still don't understand it, ask someone - a teacher is best, or you can ask on TSR.

Do some past papers. That's definitely the best way to get the hang of exam technique and also find any areas you need to work on. Mark them harshly and try to do better next time, and you'll improve. If you can get 80% on 2-3 papers in a row, you're sorted.

Get some sleep! As cliche as it is, it's quite important, moreso for afternoon exams because you'll be tired by then.

Finally, I'd say have an energy drink before an exam. I do this all the time and I feel like it helps.
malena123
Rep:
?
(Original post by JordanL_)
For science, use these videos: http://www.my-gcsescience.com/ Honestly, they're brilliant. I'd hardly done any work and I thought it was too late, but somebody linked me that site. I watched them all in the days before the exam (you could even watch a whole subject the night before) and ended up with 100% in all 3 sciences (additional). If you've done your revision already, they're a really good way to refresh everything the night before the exam.

Do as many questions as you can - this is really important. That way you'll know if you don't understand something - sometimes you'll have revised something and feel like you understand it, but when you get a question on it you end up getting it completely wrong. If you do a question and you do get it wrong, go over it again. If you still don't understand it, ask someone - a teacher is best, or you can ask on TSR.

Do some past papers. That's definitely the best way to get the hang of exam technique and also find any areas you need to work on. Mark them harshly and try to do better next time, and you'll improve. If you can get 80% on 2-3 papers in a row, you're sorted.

Get some sleep! As cliche as it is, it's quite important, moreso for afternoon exams because you'll be tired by then.

Finally, I'd say have an energy drink before an exam. I do this all the time and I feel like it helps.
I watch the mygcsescience videos for revision, and I must agree - they're amazing! And cheers, I've been looking through past papers too
malena123
Rep:
?
(Original post by delicious one)
Genuinely the best thing to do is not to stress out. They probably aren't as hard as you expect - I thought I was going to fail as I did no revision but it was fine in the end.
Yeah, that's sort of the approach I'm trying to take!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (908)
80%
Leave (227)
20%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed