changing uni - help Watch

Momoals
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
hi, im currently an student but feel uncomfortable in the uni im in, im considering switching to a different uni but i think its far too late to apply for ucas again (not entirely sure how it works when your already at uni).

any help or suggestions?

will i have to apply for ucas again?

confused

sorry if in wrong section
Add!ction
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would suggest that you complete this year and then transfer. You need to speak to the relevant people at your uni and you will also need to e-mail prospective uni's to make sure that they have a place for you.
Shika222
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi there,

I also changed uni this year, and also did it really late. You have to apply through UCAS again in the same way. The only difference is that you will be applying as an individual rather than from an institution (college etc), so you will have to find your own reference. If you have someone who can provide a reference for you, all you have to do is put their contact details in the appropriate section on your new UCAS section and they'll email your referee for it.

The official deadline was January but you can apply anytime until the end of June. After this, all applications will go straight into clearing. Although universities aren't "obligated" to check your application after the Jan, you'll find that most will, particularly for less popular courses. I didn't apply until 3rd April and got all my offers within about two weeks.

Best of luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Momoals
Rep:
?
im taking a level exams, alongside my degree (engineering) reason being that if i improve my grades then i will have more options of uni's.

im very confident that i can improve my grades, would it be possible to apply to uni's on the a-level results day even if it means relying on clearing places?
Shika222
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You'll have to check the deadlines on the ucas website, but yes, I think that would be allowed. You need to make sure you list your pending qualifications in your new application, and I would suggest mentioning it in your personal statement.

You do need to accept that some courses might already be full by the time clearing starts. However, if you're willing to ring them all up and fight your case then you might have some luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Momoals
Rep:
?
(Original post by Shika222)
You'll have to check the deadlines on the ucas website, but yes, I think that would be allowed. You need to make sure you list your pending qualifications in your new application, and I would suggest mentioning it in your personal statement.

You do need to accept that some courses might already be full by the time clearing starts. However, if you're willing to ring them all up and fight your case then you might have some luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
thanks, you seem to be quite knowledgeable.

is it possible to apply to uni without a second ucas application? since ive already applied once with ucas
Shika222
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You have to apply through ucas, I'm afraid. However you can do this whilst at uni. You don't even need to tell your current uni that you're doing it. Of course if you get an offer, you'll need to let them know. But make sure you confirm your new one before dropping out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Momoals
Rep:
?
You have to apply through ucas, I'm afraid. However you can do this whilst at uni. You don't even need to tell your current uni that you're doing it. Of course if you get an offer, you'll need to let them know. But make sure you confirm your new one before dropping out

Posted from TSR Mobile
apologies i made an edit.

i was originally planning on:

1. recieve results on results day.
2. phone up uni's i want to apply to.
3. give them my ucas details about my previous application if asked for it.

is this not possible?
Shika222
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Momoals)
apologies i made an edit.

i was originally planning on:

1. recieve results on results day.
2. phone up uni's i want to apply to.
3. give them my ucas details about my previous application if asked for it.

is this not possible?
No, you have to use UCAS. I would suggest doing it asap. Once you're in clearing you'll have less of an opportunity to describe your circumstances
Momoals
Rep:
?
No, you have to use UCAS. I would suggest doing it asap. Once you're in clearing you'll have less of an opportunity to describe your circumstances
ok, im currently doing the a level exams in my past high school, would you recommend that i talk to them about it since they helped me with it the first time?
Shika222
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
ok, im currently doing the a level exams in my past high school, would you recommend that i talk to them about it since they helped me with it the first time?
Sure. They might also be able to provide a reference for you. Id say that in your situation a reference is the most valuable information. It gives your referee a chance to explain why you'd be an asset to the universities and to explain your current circumstances
Momoals
Rep:
?
not entirely sure if i should be starting degree over or switching to second year.

i feel like if i start the degree over i will have covered everything my classmates will have (be up to the same level, but then again if i go directly to second year i will have saved a year.
not sure
Shika222
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
not entirely sure if i should be starting degree over or switching to second year.

i feel like if i start the degree over i will have covered everything my classmates will have (be up to the same level, but then again if i go directly to second year i will have saved a year.
not sure
That's a tough one. I suppose it's up to you. There's always the finance to consider, although I'd say you course choice should take priority

Posted from TSR Mobile
Momoals
Rep:
?
I'd say you course choice should take priority

Posted from TSR Mobile

im keeping the same course?

recommendations
Momoals
Rep:
?
also should i contact each university i want before applying to them?

or should i just apply like the first time?
Shika222
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It will probably be worth contacting to see if they would be willing to consider your application. Then you'll have a better idea of which choices to make

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?