The Student Room Group

CIE A Level Psychology! p3 discussion thread.

hi! I am giving cie psy spealist choices paper this session.I got a B in As and hopefully will get an A/A* this time.how is everybody's revision going?need any help? :smile:
i am doing health and abnormality :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Any tips on the evaluating questions in section B?
Any times on the evaluation questions?
Reply 3
Original post by Twinkle_07
Any tips on the evaluating questions in section B?

As far I know,you need to evaluate what you wrote in part a of question.So try to write your part a more on theories and approaches rather than basic facts so you have more to evaluate in part b
Evaluate=discuss the strengths and weakness of what you presents in a,and include a number of issues with evidence to support it.such as generalization,ethics,reduction-ism,nature vs nurture,individual differences.
According to the mark scheme you need to:
-Evaluate the theory:

internal strengths and weaknesses

theoretical issues:which i mentioned above

supporting/contradicting evidence

comparisons and contrasts with alternative theory.

-Evaluation of research:

strengths and weaknesses of methods,sample,controls,procedure

evaluation of comparisons and/or contrasts with alternative methodologies.

-Evaluation of issues and debates:
-named issue (which is mentioned in the question)

Hope this helps :smile::smile:
Reply 4
Any times on the evaluation questions?

mentioned above :smile::smile::smile:
Reply 5
bump
Wow that really helps! Im doing Educational and Abnormality. I have few more questions, i hope you dont mind...
1) How long and how much time should i spend on Section B part a and b?
2) Im thinking of answering the part b by evaluating the approaches one by one first and the moving on to evaluate the treatments. Is this wrong?
3) I actually dont understand how to evaluate methods, sample, procedure. Can you explain this with an example?

Thank you so much.. you are my only source of help
Reply 7
Glad I could help! :smile:
1-well,you should divide time according to marks.Since you need to answer 3 sections in 3 hours and section A and C makes total 20 marks together while B alone has 20 marks,so I'd suggest you to answer B within 60-90 mins and spend the rest on other parts.However,that's just an estimate,you can do it in whatever way you find the most suitable,just keep an eye on time.

2-I answer my questions like that too!As long as the answer has a clear structure,it should be totally fine.

3-Let's see..We have 'abnormality' in common,so I'll use examples from there:
Evaluating research is just like we did in P2 in core studies.
e.g if you mention Holmes and Rahe's social readjustment rating scale (measuring stress),you can include:
-the method used to collect data was self-report questionnaires,there can be social desirability bias as people may not tell the truth.
-the data was quantitative (objective,easy to interpret/compare)...
-ethnocentric since it was carried out in US (can also mention Christmas had more points allocated but not everyone celebrates it)
-validity,reliability,generalization.......

Feel free to ask if you have any problem,I'll try to help :smile:
Reply 8
Oh excuse me,I mentioned a study from Health as an example :eek:.Sorry,I was studying that at the moment and my mind's kinda on off mode right now :tongue:
but do you get what i meant? or do you want me to use another example?
You write your answers like that too?! OMG thank god! So basically we're just evaluating approaches and treatment?

But i have a doubt, Suppose i evaluate the biological model and i give out all my points including reductionism and then go on to evaluate Behavioral and im mentioning reducationism there aswell. So is it okay that im repeating a evaluation point in both approaches?

Hahah, I thought i missed out a topic! I didnt quite understand the example though.. sorry x_x

I cant think of any questions to ask yuo now but ill keep on asking you okay? Please keep replying.. you're really helping me! :')
Psychology in A levels was only introduced this year in my school and so the teachers in my school are not really understanding my questions on evaluation. You're really helping me so much
Reply 11
You write your answers like that too?! OMG thank god! So basically we're just evaluating approaches and treatment?

But i have a doubt, Suppose i evaluate the biological model and i give out all my points including reductionism and then go on to evaluate Behavioral and im mentioning reducationism there aswell. So is it okay that im repeating a evaluation point in both approaches?

Hahah, I thought i missed out a topic! I didnt quite understand the example though.. sorry x_x

I cant think of any questions to ask yuo now but ill keep on asking you okay? Please keep replying.. you're really helping me! :')

Yeah. :smile:

you can evaluate the method,sample,procedure of the researchs you mention.say if it uses self-report method we can consider the issue of social desirability.if lab experiments,then ecological validity.if the study is done on animals then we can say it may not generalize to humans.
if it's a case study then generalization issue, (these are only negatives you need to mention the positives too like a case study collects qualitative data so in detail)..
:smile:
How long (how many pages) should the describe and evaluate part be?
Reply 13
How long (how many pages) should the describe and evaluate part be?

I don't know.The quality of answer matters more than the quantity after all
Reply 14
where are you from btw?
From Abu Dhabi, UAE. And you?
Reply 16
Pakistan :smile:
Is it possible if you share a part of your evaluation question for phobias? just so i know how to start it
Reply 18
Is it possible if you share a part of your evaluation question for phobias? just so i know how to start it

I really don't have any proper written answers for any evaluation questions..
Reply 19
Hey,you know how to answer section part b. (Suggestion one)?.I am having problem with that one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending