Turn on thread page Beta

Tweeter gets a visit from the police after UKIP complain to them. watch

ReputationRep:
    So much for the anti establishment libertarian party.

Quote from the Guardian
    Police have asked a blogger to remove a tweet that fact-checked Ukip policies but did not break any laws after receiving a complaint from a Ukip councillor, prompting concern over attempts to stifle debate.

Michael Abberton was visited by two Cambridgeshire police officers on Saturday. He was told he had not committed any crimes and no action was taken against him, but he was asked to delete some of his tweets, particularly a tongue-in-cheek one on 10 reasons to vote for Ukip, such as scrapping paid maternity leave and raising income tax for the poorest 88% of Britons.
    Of course this is hardly 1933 Germany and we are all still largely free to throw eggs at our political candidates and politicians alike. But it makes you wonder about all the freedom loving policies an independent UK will gain with UKIP in a coalition with the Tories. Or better, with a governing majority.

@MichaelAbberton 8h
    @SarahAB_UK Police officer said the party rather than an individual had made the complaint, but might not have had all the facts.
    Good to know Green Party activists scare the UKIP party.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Reformed2010)
    So much for the anti establishment libertarian party.

Quote from the Guardian Of course this is hardly 1933 Germany and we are all still largely free to throw eggs at our political candidates and politicians alike. But it makes you wonder about all the freedom loving policies an independent UK will gain with UKIP in a coalition with the Tories. Or better, with a governing majority.

Good to know Green Party activists scare the UKIP party.
    Oh my ****ing God. What the hell? The police should have laughed at the complaint, if it's not a crime they shouldn't be involved.

ReputationRep:
    How many more times? UKIP are NOT libertarian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    How many more times? UKIP is NOT libertarian.
    They support flatter tax rates, privatisation, greater levels of individual liberty, smaller state spending, amongst others. What makes you say that they're not libertarian (granted, they're not die-hard libertarians)?

ReputationRep:
    It is dreadful if it was the Party not an individual councillor made the complaint.

The police in question should have just laughed at the complaint, there was no reason to deal with it.
    If it was a councillor, he or she should be fired instantly.

Of course UKIP aren't libertarian but they are much more so than any of the other parties.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps it is another case of one person's word over anothers.

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-L...sonation-fears

If the police did not tell the blogger to delete the tweet, then the blogger has told a lie.

ReputationRep:
    Anybody remember when the police arrested the elderly gentleman who dared heckle?

http://blog.wikimedia.org/2014/05/07...-the-wiki-way/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qdojzc0J8ts

ReputationRep:
    Here is the "10 great reasons to vote UKIP" which was tweeted to the councillor. I see nothing wrong with it and all of the points which are included on it, have been a part of previous UKIP manifestos.

It's funny because often it is UKIP that are blathering on about how free speech is being hampered and then their own members are calling the police about incidents like this, which do not warrant police intervention at all.

Name:  wpid-img_36457748562902.jpeg
Views: 428
Size:  319.3 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Falcatas)

If the police did not tell the blogger to delete the tweet, then the blogger has told a lie.
    Interesting, although the point remains that a member of UKIP brought this to the police.

Of course UKIP aren't libertarian but they are much more so than any of the other parties.
    Really? UKIP considers itself Libertarian:

http://www.ukip.org/the_constitution

http://www.ukipmeps.org/news_723_Nig...onference.html

2.5 The Party is a democratic, libertarian Party and will espouse policies which:

• promote and encourage those who aspire to improve...
    Two of the world's leading libertarian politicians, UKIP Leader Nigel Farage and the man described as "the Intellectual Godfather" of the Tea Party movement, Ron Paul, found plenty to talk about...
    They once had that information on the front page. I wonder why it's been removed? Maybe they changed their minds? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHallowvale)
    Interesting, although the point remains that a member of UKIP brought this to the police.

:dontknow:
    I think the UKIP member in question did so because of misrepresentation, he wasn't trying to silence an contray opinion. I can understand though that it still was unnecessarily to involve the police.

As for UKIP being libertarian, it isn't.

It is libertarian-ish.
    Not outright libertarian.
    I would describe UKIP as a watered down version of libertarianism.

This is understandable as genuine libertarians (like myself) have outrageous opinions:

Examples such as saying that businesses should be able to refuse service to blacks, gays and women.
    In fact a UKIP councillor said this and of course UKIP had to distance itself from this.

Other things would include privatising marriage, decriminalising incest, and repealing all anti-discrimination speech laws.

A weaker form of libertarianism that just focuses on realistic goals like reducing the size of the state and dismantling the "nanny state" is much more likely to attract public support.

ReputationRep:
    This is very funny.

UKIP used to have its manifesto available to read. It contained some pretty silly policies and when Farage was questioned on them, he pretended not to know anything about the document. That was odd because he endorsed it and wrote a foreword for it. All of a sudden, the manifesto was ripped up and deleted from the party website. Now UKIP seem to become very upset when their dodgy past policies, voting records, and views of their members are highlighted. This is perhaps because it shows them up for who they are and damages their efforts at presenting themselves as the party for the normal man, standing up against the elite.

I do wonder what would happen should this silly party ever get some power. I fully expect that they would ban any critism of them - little surprise that Farage is such a fan of Putin really.

I've asked this before and I'll ask again - why would anyone in their right mind vote for these people?

ReputationRep:
    Why on earth are the police involving themselves in things like this?

Breirtbart? :lol:

They are not a reliable source, for anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Why on earth are the police involving themselves in things like this?

Breirtbart? :lol:

They are not a reliable source, for anything.
    Are you saying that Breitbart is lying?

I see them as unapologetically right-wing, filling a much-needed gap in the media, in the same way that the Guardian is flagrantly far-left. Why do you think they're unreliable?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, because the fault here is with UKIP, not with the police. If it's not a police matter, that's for the police to decide. UKIP reporting it is just them misunderstanding the libel laws, which happens. The police deciding to act is not UKIP's fault.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob-C)
    Here is the "10 great reasons to vote UKIP" which was tweeted to the councillor. I see nothing wrong with it and all of the points which are included on it, have been a part of previous UKIP manifestos.

It's funny because often it is UKIP that are blathering on about how free speech is being hampered and then their own members are calling the police about incidents like this, which do not warrant police intervention at all.

Name:  wpid-img_36457748562902.jpeg
Views: 428
Size:  319.3 KB
    Well even the author of that would point out that your first paragraph is a flat out lie. Most were gainsayed from things that people said once. (Eg. I don't support a specific bill which, amongst other things, has provisions to help with domestic abuse becomes 'UKIP want to rape and beat all women')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHallowvale)

http://www.ukip.org/the_constitution

http://www.ukipmeps.org/news_723_Nig...onference.html

They once had that information on the front page. I wonder why it's been removed? Maybe they changed their minds? :dontknow:
    I'd say that they're quite libertarian, not staunch libertarians though - they're not that extreme. They're definitely all Thatcherites though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisawhitmore)
    Yeah, because the fault here is with UKIP, not with the police. If it's not a police matter, that's for the police to decide. UKIP reporting it is just them misunderstanding the libel laws, which happens. The police deciding to act is not UKIP's fault.
    I say didn't it was the fault of UKIP. In fact I am voting for them on 22nd May. I was just correcting the OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisawhitmore)
    Well even the author of that would point out that your first paragraph is a flat out lie.)
    So the rest is true?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Burridge)
    They support flatter tax rates, privatisation, greater levels of individual liberty, smaller state spending, amongst others. What makes you say that they're not libertarian (granted, they're not die-hard libertarians)?
    Maybe the fact that they're against freedom of movement. That makes them non-libertarian in my view.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felamaslen)
    Maybe the fact that they're against freedom of movement. That makes them non-libertarian in my view.
    I'd don't believe that renders them non-libertarian. I think they're moderately libertarian - certainly more so that all of the other main parties; but they're definitely not bonafide libertarians.

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.