Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As per the subject line,what is the connection between the lands of Cornwall and the Duke of Cornwall,,to give him is real and proper name Charles Schleswig Holstein Sonderberg Glucksberg. Does he actually claim ownership of most/all of its lands or does he simply milk the life ot of it via tenant incomes? Ifso, by what right does he claim ownership and/or milk it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limpopo)
    As per the subject line,what is the connection between the lands of Cornwall and the Duke of Cornwall,,to give him is real and proper name Charles Schleswig Holstein Sonderberg Glucksberg. Does he actually claim ownership of most/all of its lands or does he simply milk the life ot of it via tenant incomes? Ifso, by what right does he claim ownership and/or milk it?
    Nice to see you're such an upstanding, open-minded fellow :rolleyes:

His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales is the Duke of Cornwall, and owns various properties and estates throughout England under its property portfolio, much like you or I would own a home. He has tenants which pay him dues, just like any landlord does. And he receives other income from developments and works, just like any other landlord.

So he has this right just like you or I do. However, unlike you or I, the Prince of Wales is not permitted to keep the profit that his property makes and is required to reinvest it into the Duchy. It's a charitable trust, in a way.

ReputationRep:
    But according to wiki, the Duchy of Cornwall claims to own 141000 acres and generates a profit of around £7.8m,the income is payable to Charlie

ReputationRep:
    But according to wiki, the Duchy of Cornwall claims to own 141000 acres and generates a profit of around £7.8m,the income is payable to Charlie
    That money is not personally pocketed by him. He gets a stipend based on what he needs to 'fund the public, charitable and private activities of the Prince of Wales and his family', but the rest is diverted back into investment or savings.

At the end of the day, it's private property.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladders)
    That money is not personally pocketed by him. He gets a stipend based on what he needs to 'fund the public, charitable and private activities of the Prince of Wales and his family', but the rest is diverted back into investment or savings.

At the end of the day, it's private property.
    The Duchy estate is private property? How so? Surely the lands were simply sequestrated and gifted by Edward 3rd to his son the Black Prince. Was it his to give? Did anyone have the power to challenge sch a decision?

http://www.scribd.com/doc/44178693/T...Private-Estate

ReputationRep:
    The Duchy estate is private property? How so? Surely the lands were simply sequestrated and gifted by Edward 3rd to his son the Black Prince. Was it his to give? Did anyone have the power to challenge sch a decision?

http://www.scribd.com/doc/44178693/T...Private-Estate
    As king, it was his to give, and he had lands to spare to allocate to the new Duke of Cornwall. What are you suggesting?

ReputationRep:
    If he does, I will suddenly develop feelings of support for the Cornish nationalist movement...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladders)
    As king, it was his to give, and he had lands to spare to allocate to the new Duke of Cornwall. What are you suggesting?
    I would question anyones right to claim to be King. Even so,why does someone wearing a crown and calling himself a King or herself a Queen for that matter, by default have control and ownership of lands within their supposed realm? Presumably they have them by virtue of loyalty and permission of the majority of the people or more likely by force i.e might is right.

I do not believe they were his to gift . The lands were sequestrated and stolen from the people.

The ultimate expression of Serfdom is the Duchy reservation of the Bona vacantia process in which anyone who has residency within the Duchy who then dies intestate and with no heirs,automatically has his estate taken by the duchy i.e Charles who then apparently kindly chooses to pass the monies on the charity.

ReputationRep:
    I would question anyones right to claim to be King. Even so,why does someone wearing a crown and calling himself a King or herself a Queen for that matter, by default have control and ownership of lands within their supposed realm? Presumably they have them by virtue of loyalty and permission of the majority of the people or more likely by force i.e might is right.
    They have them in the same way that you own your computer. Did you need anyone's permission to own that? What's your view on landlords and renting?

I do not believe they were his to gift . The lands were sequestrated and stolen from the people.
    Oh boy, here we go again. Prove it; if you know the names of anyone still alive who it belongs to by descent, please let the authorities know.

The ultimate expression of Serfdom is the Duchy reservation of the Bona vacantia process in which anyone who has residency within the Duchy who then dies intestate and with no heirs,automatically has his estate taken by the duchy i.e Charles who then apparently kindly chooses to pass the monies on the charity.
    Well isn't that fascinating. And here i was thinking serfdom meant that the people there had no rights and were essentially his chattel. Is that the case in the Duchy?

ReputationRep:
    No, but he does own a fairly substantial chunk of it!

I think it's absolutely disgusting why all of his assets aren't nationalised, sold-off and the the money given to food banks to help people suffering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesGibson)
    No, but he does own a fairly substantial chunk of it!

I think it's absolutely disgusting why all of his assets aren't nationalised, sold-off and the the money given to food banks to help people suffering.
    The same reason why mine isn't either

ReputationRep:
    http://www.pbs.plymouth.ac.uk/PLR/vol3/Kirkhope.pdf

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.