How to convert Binary to Octal? Watch

mclean_tom_
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
How do you convert binary to octal? I remember doing it ages ago but I cant find it in my notes and I cant find it on the internet
miser
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mclean_tom_)
How do you convert binary to octal? I remember doing it ages ago but I cant find it in my notes and I cant find it on the internet
It's the same process as converting to and from hexadecimal, except whereas each hexadecimal digit represents 4 bits, each octal digit represents 3.

For example, the (big-endian) binary number 10101110 can be split into three groups. Starting from the left, the first three numbers are 110, which is 6 in decimal/octal. The second three digits - 101 - are 5 in decimal/octal, and the final two are 10, which is 2. Put these numbers together and you get 256.
mclean_tom_
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by miser)
It's the same process as converting to and from hexadecimal, except whereas each hexadecimal digit represents 4 bits, each octal digit represents 3.

For example, the (big-endian) binary number 10101110 can be split into three groups. Starting from the left, the first three numbers are 110, which is 6 in decimal/octal. The second three digits - 101 - are 5 in decimal/octal, and the final two are 10, which is 2. Put these numbers together and you get 256.
Thank you
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by miser)

Are you sure you know your left from your right?

You seem to have worked it out from the correct end anyway
miser
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by davros)
Are you sure you know your left from your right?

You seem to have worked it out from the correct end anyway
Sorry you're completely right - I meant to say the right. Least-significant bits first, or else the number needs to be padded with zeroes so that the number of digits is evenly divisible by 3.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1375)
79.53%
Leave (354)
20.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise