Justpin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Bit of history, in 2007 my sister worked for this college before they merged with another college, they hear my name, they know who I am. I exist in her shadow as the subject is the same. She burned her bridges because the head of department is a bully.

It is WELL known she is a bully and horrible to work for. (the head of department not my sister)

Fast forward to 2011 I apply for a job there, I have quite a bit of experience,I didn't even make it into the short listing. It was did not meet the criteria. While some of my colleagues on the teacher course did get short listed to the 4th interview stage.

I generally forgot about it but they seemed to re-advertise the job every 6 months as the person who they took on kept leaving. I applied again, paying for proof reading my application, again was rejected. I kept getting rejected.

I recently heard there has been a large scale staff departure from the department as they were sick of working for the witch who is head of this department. 17 people left in 2 weeks.

So suddenly they re-advertised it.

Should I apply for this job considering all the prior rejections, the fact that my name is known and therefore she potentially has a bone to pick with my family and the fact that she's a nasty piece of work?

I am currently working right now, just insufficient hours to make ends meet (necessitating a weekend job to break even). The application form is long with about 42 questions each requiring a long detailed answer.

Would you?
Mr M
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Justpin)
Bit of history, in 2007 my sister worked for this college before they merged with another college, they hear my name, they know who I am. I exist in her shadow as the subject is the same. She burned her bridges because the head of department is a bully.

It is WELL known she is a bully and horrible to work for. (the head of department not my sister)

Fast forward to 2011 I apply for a job there, I have quite a bit of experience,I didn't even make it into the short listing. It was did not meet the criteria. While some of my colleagues on the teacher course did get short listed to the 4th interview stage.

I generally forgot about it but they seemed to re-advertise the job every 6 months as the person who they took on kept leaving. I applied again, paying for proof reading my application, again was rejected. I kept getting rejected.

I recently heard there has been a large scale staff departure from the department as they were sick of working for the witch who is head of this department. 17 people left in 2 weeks.

Should I apply for this job considering all the prior rejections, the fact that my name is known and therefore she potentially has a bone to pick with my family and the fact that she's a nasty piece of work?

I am currently working right now, just insufficient hours to make ends meet (necessitating a weekend job to break even). The application form is long with about 42 questions each requiring a long detailed answer.

Would you?
You have been knocked back twice. You don't respect the Head. The question is why would you even consider applying?
Shelly_x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Justpin)

Would you?
You don't even sound like you want to work there, so why would you apply?
Everything you've said are huge red flags which will likely mean your time there will be unbearable, evidenced by the fact that people keep leaving.
balloon_parade
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why on earth would you want to work there if there is a known bully in charge. This would make me utterly run for the hills and not give a backwards glance. Don't waste your time applying, it will be hell. Go and apply somewhere without the bully. I know a few people who have worked under awful people like this and it just shook their confidence and really made their lives completely miserable. Don't do it!
Justpin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Normally I would ignore it and run for the hills but there have been big budget cuts to my subject area and the place I am working at offers insufficient hours to pay the bills, so I have to do other things.

Sometimes I mark exams, sometimes I proof read its never consistent, while this joke piqued my interest as its a 0.8 position which means I won't be broke all the time.

But I guess you're all right... thanks for the input.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (57)
40.14%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (24)
16.9%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (6)
4.23%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (15)
10.56%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (15)
10.56%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (12)
8.45%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
9.15%

Watched Threads