Fooball player gay kiss shocker Watch

MostUncivilised
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Michael Sam, the openly gay American football player, was picked in the NFL Draft (the means by which players get a place on the professional teams). The camera's captured the joyous moment, and he kissed his boyfriend. Cue Conservative outrage, that this disgusting homosexual fornication was broadcast on television.

What is your view? Should Michael Sam be prevented from playing in the NFL, lest he infect it with homosexuality? Should this outrageous expression of same-gender kissing have been censored to protect the children?
tengentoppa
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Huh. Conservatives in the UK legalise gay marriage, conservatives in the US lose their **** over a gay kiss. Obviously conservatism is something quite different across the pond.
MostUncivilised
Rep:
?
(Original post by tengentoppa)
Huh. Conservatives in the UK legalise gay marriage, conservatives in the US lose their **** over a gay kiss. Obviously conservatism is something quite different across the pond.
Agreed. I think what conservatives in the US are most worked up about is that gay people are being treated like people, whereas their view is that, even if they are to be accorded equal rights and not discriminated against, society should still make them feel bad about it and they should be made to feel unwelcome and weird. That seems quite churlish, and fundamentally, it's a bit odd to obsess over other people's lives in that way
MostUncivilised
Rep:
?
For a taste of some of the caveman reactions;

Espn special: an hour of Michael Sam crying with his fag boyfriend
That's odd that he slates him for crying, a lot of the draftees cry as it's a huge moment in their career.

@wingoz #Michael Sam ain't have to kiss his ****** boyfriend on camera I have a small strong black son I can't expose him to that fag
I would be more worried about exposing his son to unalloyed bigotry and hatred

Michael Sam is the type of fag that doesn't need to be in the league....gay ass kissed his bf when he got drafted
Charming. And these comments are from the kind of people who wouldn't have a chance in hell of getting into the NFL. They'd probably piss themselves if they made that comment and turned around and saw Michael Sam was there.
Fizzel
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The guy is a man mountain!

I think its just the way people view homosexual relationships. Conservatism can be conservative values or conservative traditions. Gay relationships, particularly marriage and having kids, adopting kids are pretty conservative friendly in terms of values. Nice little married, 2 adults 2 kids, monogamous, nuclear family. Whereas if homosexuality is view through a traditional lens its two men and therefore inherently wrong. Even if its accepted its kind of dirty.
MostUncivilised
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheTranshumanist)
Sussex has dropped steeply again this year. What's going on over there?
Sussex?
MostUncivilised
Rep:
?
(Original post by Amhorangerdgerriug)
I wish I could rep you again.
Thanks You are too kind, sir *hat tip*

I really can't see what the problem is with this, it's not like he celebrated by hiring a rent boy and snorting lines of cocaine off his butt. He merely hugged and kissed his boyfriend (who is also an athlete, a swimmer) and celebrated an awesome achievement in his career as a professional athlete.

They're an adorable couple, clearly in love and great role models as guys who are following their dreams and working hard, and also showing a degree of bravery in being out gay athletes. I think you really need a heart of stone, and mental problems, to find this objectionable

Name:  article-2625377-1DBC9B4D00000578-508_634x632.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  102.9 KB
Name:  vc.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  30.1 KB
Amhorangerdgerriug
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MostUncivilised)
Thanks You are too kind, sir *hat tip*

I really can't see what the problem is with this, it's not like he celebrated by hiring a rent boy and snorting lines of cocaine off his butt. He merely hugged and kissed his boyfriend (who is also an athlete, a swimmer) and celebrated an awesome achievement in his career as a professional athlete.

They're an adorable couple, clearly in love and great role models as guys who are following their dreams and working hard, and also showing a degree of bravery in being out gay athletes. I think you really need a heart of stone, and mental problems, to find this objectionable

Name:  article-2625377-1DBC9B4D00000578-508_634x632.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  102.9 KB
Name:  vc.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  30.1 KB
Exactly. Plus, in my opinion, you should rarely say anything about somebody that you wouldn't be willing to say to their face; and I highly doubt that anybody on here would tell this absolute mountain that they found him and his partner 'disgusting'.

Didn't know his partner was a swimmer, but then I have no idea who the American footballer is either. I'm not from the USA (thank [insert patently fictional deity here]), I'm not a hand egg fan (unless rugby counts), nor am I a swimming fan and I'm not gay. I just find people like these American Conservatives pretty abhorrent.
Everglow
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tengentoppa)
The Conservatives here aren't really conservative, that's the thing. Since Thatcher's New Right, the Conservative Party has centralised on the political scale a lot. It's the same with Labour being centralised by Blair's Third Way. This is why you get a lot of people saying there's no real difference between the three main parties. American Republicans are far more right wing than what we consider right wing here.

The only thing that annoys me about this story is the fact that a gay kiss has to be so publicised in an 'omg is this okay?' kind of way in this day and age. I look forward to the day nobody even bats an eyelid at this kind of thing because there's just nothing worth getting remotely worked up about. I suppose I just don't see why people have a problem with homosexuality - particularly when it doesn't even concern them.
Wattsy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I saw this live and **** hit the fan almost instantly on twitter and NFL sites, all comments sections on NFL press related to Sam thereafter were closed, except Yahoo, which unless you enjoy blatant homophobia and religious fundamentalists, I wouldn't read. US GQ did a great article called 'Explaining Michael Sam to my 7 year old.' Probably because loads of people whined about 'exposing their kids to that abhorrent lifestyle'

Here is how that conversation went:

Do you know what gay is?
Max: It means you're a man and you like men.
Right. Well, Michael Sam, this player from the University of Missouri who wants to play in the NFL, is gay.
Max: OK.
And he just told everyone.
Max: OK. Is he the only one in the NFL who likes men?
No.
Max: Does Jay Cutler?
I don't think so.
Max: Why does it matter?
It doesn't.
Max: So . . . why—what's the big deal?
Because he's the first one who has told everybody.
Max: The others are keeping secrets?
Yes. Because some people out there don't like gay people.
(long pause)
Max: Is he any good?

This kid is already more educated in tolerance than half of these grown men and women shouting off about how he'll go to hell and that he must be a polygamist. That 7 year old's reaction should be the reaction of the world at large.

Here's the full article: http://www.gq.com/blogs/the-feed/201...l-sam-nfl.html
MostUncivilised
Rep:
?
(Original post by Amhorangerdgerriug)
Exactly. Plus, in my opinion, you should rarely say anything about somebody that you wouldn't be willing to say to their face; and I highly doubt that anybody on here would tell this absolute mountain that they found him and his partner 'disgusting'
Very well said,

Didn't know his partner was a swimmer, but then I have no idea who the American footballer is either. I'm not from the USA (thank [insert patently fictional deity here]), I'm not a hand egg fan (unless rugby counts), nor am I a swimming fan and I'm not gay. I just find people like these American Conservatives pretty abhorrent
I've noticed a real shift, particularly in the last two or three years, on the issue of equal rights, tackling discrimination, but fundamentally what has changed is the attitude and view of LGBT as being normal guys and girls who simply fancy the same gender, not as some weird minority group with a secret agenda. There's an extraordinary amount of goodwill for LGBT people, and I think its been awesome straight allies like you who have made all the difference. It's hard to adequately express just how happy it makes me feel knowing all these decent, straight guys who have been so generous in their time and money, and unwavering in fighting this fight together, and how they have made us feel like they are in it, with us, shoulder to shoulder

After seeing ludicrous comments like that guy above, they just underline how far we have come.
MostUncivilised
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wattsy)
X
Thanks for the heads up, I'm reading the article now. Kids seem to find it far less notable than older people, they find out about it, they get their head around it and then move in. Not a big deal. This video is adorable

TheTranshumanist
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sussex?
****. Wrong thread. My mistake.
Wattsy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks for the heads up, I'm reading the article now. Kids seem to find it far less notable than older people, they find out about it, they get their head around it and then move in. Not a big deal. This video is adorable

Absolutely they do, the youth are more liberal by default now anyway because educators tend to be liberal, this kid grew up in a liberal area too so that would obviously influence it. I think, rightly or wrongly that young people being less religious than Generation X and the baby-boomers also facilitates this more live and let live attitude, in a world where it is so easy to be involved in other people's business I think that young people are wanting to stay out more and just live and let live. Will Michael Sam ever negatively affect their life by being homosexual? No, no he won't, I think younger people (younger than 30) see that in the majority. The US statistics for gay marriage support also backs this up. 42% against in overall polling but 25% of under 30s polled.
SHallowvale
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Michael Sam, the openly gay American football player, was picked in the NFL Draft (the means by which players get a place on the professional teams). The camera's captured the joyous moment, and he kissed his boyfriend. Cue Conservative outrage, that this disgusting homosexual fornication was broadcast on television.

What is your view? Should Michael Sam be prevented from playing in the NFL, lest he infect it with homosexuality? Should this outrageous expression of same-gender kissing have been censored to protect the children?
My god, this is an outrage!

I should be kissing that man!!! :mad:
scrotgrot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah because the NFL is totally free of gayness, all those men bulking up in the gym together to 300lbs+ and then going out on the field to grab and lunge desperately at each other for an hour.

It's crazy how quickly gay rights have moved in the 1990s and 2000s. It was only 10 years ago I remember there being a big to-do about a gay kiss in Corrie - no outright hate but much comment and anticipation - and it was only in 1989 that a gay kiss (no tongues) was shown on TV at all.
DK_Tipp
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

There's always going to be a scattering of red necks out there in any society that will insist on being offensive on whatever forum or platform they're given.

However I'm really surprised by the safety from the Miami Dolphins tweeting "Disgusting". I mean that guy has more in common with Michael Sam than the rest of us do. He of all people, as a pro athlete should understand what it means to be drafted at the highest level of your chosen sport and regardless of what hang ups he has about homosexuality he should have kept his mouth shut and let Sam and his partner and friends and family enjoy that moment... without intoxicating the environment with bitterness.
LightBlueSoldier
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

He likely will never actually play a game. This pick seems like a real publicity stunt, as he was taken close to the end and there were several higher rated players at his position left. The way the media are exploiting the situation is ridiculous and really does not help gay rights at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
MostUncivilised
Rep:
?
(Original post by jam278)
That guys a tank though so the bigots would be smart to not be saying any homophobic comments to him when he's in the vicinity.
Ha! I love that comment
2ndClass
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (108)
19.78%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
40.66%
Nope, not that interesting (216)
39.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed