Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    After counselling for depression, she referred me on to a psych.

Don't understand, she said emotional instability personality? And that was the disorder? She said it's usually caused by traumas in childhood and you get extreme mood swings

She also said I won't be seeing them anymore but I will be seeing some mental health service? She said it was a one up from what I had?

I don't understand, am I gonna get locked away or something?

ReputationRep:
    Nah man, you're not going to get "locked away".

Emotionally unstable personality disorder is also known as borderline personality disorder - if that helps you look up what it entails. But basically yeah it does involve a lot of mood swings generally.

The reason you've been referred on is probably because personality disorders are harder to treat than run of the mill depression.

ReputationRep:
    I'm finding this hard to deal with... It's a massive step up from depression, eh?

Well thanks for the reply..

ReputationRep:
    Think it's good you'll be getting the correct help. Probably from more of a professional in a psychiatrist. But saying that, i've no idea about the professionalism of a counselor. Hope all goes well pal. If you wanna talk give me a message :cool:, also seeing a psychiatrist !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Macleod11)
    Think it's good you'll be getting the correct help. Probably from more of a professional in a psychiatrist. But saying that, i've no idea about the professionalism of a counselor. Hope all goes well pal. If you wanna talk give me a message :cool:, also seeing a psychiatrist !
    The counsellor I was initially seeing referred me as she felt things weren't improving.

What were you diagnosed with? I don't feel so swell right now, lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michaelj)
    After counselling for depression, she referred me on to a psych.

Don't understand, she said emotional instability personality? And that was the disorder? She said it's usually caused by traumas in childhood and you get extreme mood swings

She also said I won't be seeing them anymore but I will be seeing some mental health service? She said it was a one up from what I had?

I don't understand, am I gonna get locked away or something?
    If what you had before was counselling or a psychologist, then seeing a psychiatrist is a step up because they have the ability to prescribe medicine for your disorder. It's unlikely they'd admit you unless you were a danger to yourself or others, so don't worry

ReputationRep:
    The counsellor I was initially seeing referred me as she felt things weren't improving.

What were you diagnosed with? I don't feel so swell right now, lol.
    Depression. Pretty awful to say the least ha. Not going to go into detail...
    Been on medication for over a year though and it does settle stuff down a little. So having a psychiatrist to speak to could(as said above) give you a better shot at getting better.

ReputationRep:
    Depression. Pretty awful to say the least ha. Not going to go into detail...
    Been on medication for over a year though and it does settle stuff down a little. So having a psychiatrist to speak to could(as said above) give you a better shot at getting better.
    That's what I mean, I've already seen a psychiatrist and she diagnosed me and is reffering me to

Cmht.

ReputationRep:
    That's what I mean, I've already seen a psychiatrist and she diagnosed me and is reffering me to

Cmht.
    Cmht? I assume that's some form of mental health team? If so they specialize in mental health so gotta be a good thing . When will you get to see them?

ReputationRep:
    Cmht? I assume that's some form of mental health team? If so they specialize in mental health so gotta be a good thing . When will you get to see them?
    Community mental health team. I looked it up and they deal with severe or long term mental illnesses.. Eek! I'm not sure when I see them, when they send referral letter. I prefer not too, lol.,

ReputationRep:
    Community mental health team. I looked it up and they deal with severe or long term mental illnesses.. Eek! I'm not sure when I see them, when they send referral letter. I prefer not too, lol.,
    Always seems to be long term pal. Never a "quick fix" so i've always been told! It can get mega frustrating too . Why not...? Think you should take it one day at a time Don't think about it till it comes, i reckon it'll only be nerve-racking the first time you go.

ReputationRep:
    The difference with personality disorders is that they are ingrained personality behaviours rather than something which temporarily affects your personality or behaviour. That's why they tend to be a lot harder to treat because it's kind of part of who you are. ( I'm not a doctor though so worth googling and asking next time).

Mental health issues suck but just keep trying, you've definitely done the best thing and you should get appropriate help now , good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georgie_M)
    The difference with personality disorders is that they are ingrained personality behaviours rather than something which temporarily affects your personality or behaviour. That's why they tend to be a lot harder to treat because it's kind of part of who you are. ( I'm not a doctor though so worth googling and asking next time).

Mental health issues suck but just keep trying, you've definitely done the best thing and you should get appropriate help now , good luck
    It's funny as the psychriatrist and consultant were trying to avoid telling me. As if it's a massive stigma.

Well thanks, I guess you're right.

ReputationRep:
    It's funny as the psychriatrist and consultant were trying to avoid telling me. As if it's a massive stigma.

Well thanks, I guess you're right.
    I think that it's kind of a taboo subject actually, it should definitely be something as a society we talk about a bit more so we don't feel so stigmatised. I would think it's important for you to know and understand what they think the problems are so that you have a better chance of overcoming them. It's not really fair to label you as something without even explaining what that something is - that's just my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry just realised how confusing my op is.

The person I saw was a psychiatrist and her consultant. They want me to go to a one up which is cmht community mental health team. I looked it up and it was for severe and long term illnesses. They were trying to avoid telling me the diagnosis which just made me feel worst in a way.

Is it possible this isn't actually a personality disorder and is just emotional instability disorder?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 13, 2014
Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.