Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    There are 6 of us living together in a house and two of us have recently had some issues with the rest of the occupants. We are both very strong willed and have accepted that the problems are usually six of one, half a dozen of the other, and have come to the conclusion that we need to vacate for the sanity of the whole house. Stupidly we signed up for another year in December. There is nothing in the contract that says we cannot just find two more people to move in and be done with it. Is there anyone else who has been in the same situation? Obviously I know it will be very different due to different landlords etc but it would be good to get some advice and hear whether it is possible or whether we are stuck.
    Thanks, K

    You'll need to find replacement tenants - that is essentially the only way out at this stage

    Posted from TSR Mobile

    The first step is going to be to contact your LL/letting agent. It is very likely you will have to find replacement tennants, and if you can't you'll be liable for the rent. However, if you are with a big lettings agency, they may be able to help you out with this- especially if they think not doing so could lose them the other four tennants as well.

    Also, are you on a joint tennancy/jointly and severably liable for the rent? If you're unsure, then check your contract. This means that if you don't pay your share of the rent, others become liable for it. Something like this on top of a falling out could cause you major problems.

University open days

  • University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
Are you chained to your phone?
Help with student accommodation

Top articles:

Student on bed with laptop

All student accommodation articles

City guides and advice on finding the right place

Student working in halls room

How to choose your uni halls

Five questions you should ask yourself

Students chatting in halls

What students wish they'd known about halls

Tips from students who've done it all before

Person carrying box full of stuff

What to take to uni

The ultimate packing list

Quick link:

Can you help? Accommodation unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.