WJEC Geology - GL1 - 13th May Watch

retsof
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Anyone doing this exam? How are you feeling about it?
heyitshoggett
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am! I'm dreading it I feel so under prepared.. any suspicions as to what you think will come up?! Or any tips on how not to fail.. Please, I'm desperate!
retsof
Rep:
?
(Original post by heyitshoggett)
I am! I'm dreading it I feel so under prepared.. any suspicions as to what you think will come up?! Or any tips on how not to fail.. Please, I'm desperate!
I think that earthquakes and structure of the earth are going to be a cert to come up. I just wouldn't worry about it and stay calm, always helps me If you don't know the answer, use common sense to try and think of something the examiner can at least try and credit! Like my teacher says, the examiner is ALWAYS looking to award marks wherever they possibly can!
heyitshoggett
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by retsof)
I think that earthquakes and structure of the earth are going to be a cert to come up. I just wouldn't worry about it and stay calm, always helps me If you don't know the answer, use common sense to try and think of something the examiner can at least try and credit! Like my teacher says, the examiner is ALWAYS looking to award marks wherever they possibly can!
Ah okay I'll go over that tomorrow! I'm semi hoping that fossils will come up because they seem to be the examiners favorite and I can sort of blag those, they've been in a lot of past papers! Ah, oh gosh, I just can't wait for it to be over!
retsof
Rep:
?
Ah okay I'll go over that tomorrow! I'm semi hoping that fossils will come up because they seem to be the examiners favorite and I can sort of blag those, they've been in a lot of past papers! Ah, oh gosh, I just can't wait for it to be over!
I hate fossils and the examiners love them... I'm dropping Geology next year anyway so I'm not so fussed but I still want to do well in this. Anything else you think might come up/tips?
heyitshoggett
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I hate fossils and the examiners love them... I'm dropping Geology next year anyway so I'm not so fussed but I still want to do well in this. Anything else you think might come up/tips?
Hahaha same it's my worst subject I can't wait to get this exam so I don't have to do it anymore but I still want to pass this year! And um, my teacher keeps talking about Faults so I have a sneaky suspicion that he thinks that might come up but other than that I'm really not sure, sorry!
retsof
Rep:
?
Hahaha same it's my worst subject I can't wait to get this exam so I don't have to do it anymore but I still want to pass this year! And um, my teacher keeps talking about Faults so I have a sneaky suspicion that he thinks that might come up but other than that I'm really not sure, sorry!
Ahh, faults shouldn't be too bad as long as it's along the side of plate tectonics, I can't identify a normal/reverse/thrust fault to save my life...
heyitshoggett
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ahh, faults shouldn't be too bad as long as it's along the side of plate tectonics, I can't identify a normal/reverse/thrust fault to save my life...
Oh neither, I just don't understand how people can do it without even having to think about it:eek: I also don't know enough about different types of igneous/sedimentary/metamorphic rock types so I really hope we don't get a question on those.. I'm so screweeeddd ahhh
Tig Old Bitties
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thought it was reasonably easy, what did you guys think?
heyitshoggett
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Tig Old Bitties)
Thought it was reasonably easy, what did you guys think?
Could have been a lot harder, I managed I write an answer to all the questions I'm not sure if they're right though✌️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tig Old Bitties
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Could have been a lot harder, I managed I write an answer to all the questions I'm not sure if they're right though✌️

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you remember the questions I could probably remember what I wrote... I remember the fault was a normal fault because the hanging wall was downthrown. For the lava flow question it wasn't a sill because of the one baked margin and the weathered surface. The difference and similarity question was difference - crystal size and similarity - colour which would have been dark. For the question which asked if it was a life assemblage or death assemblage from the graph it was a life assemblage. The question about sediment at the end of the river was that it should have been finer grained at the end than at the beginning.
Was there a question in particular you had a problem with?
retsof
Rep:
?
I thought it was alright, could have been way harder. I didn't have a ruler so had to guess the dimensions of the rock to plot on the graph. I thought it was reverse fault and put the hanging wall was upthrown, but, I haven't actually known what the hanging wall is all year. Lava flow I put the same, also think I put life assemblage because they're different sizes(?).
Tig Old Bitties
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Basically this is a normal fault - footwall \ hanging wall (if the \ is the fault). The hanging wall was deffo downthrown. Life assemblage yes but I think it was more to do with the fact that if it was a death assemblage you would expect the shells to be of all sizes and that the line being strongly correlated which showed they were all growing at similar rates rather than the sizes. (Sorry if I sound like an arse, just trying to help ).
Vino_M
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you remember the questions I could probably remember what I wrote... I remember the fault was a normal fault because the hanging wall was downthrown. For the lava flow question it wasn't a sill because of the one baked margin and the weathered surface. The difference and similarity question was difference - crystal size and similarity - colour which would have been dark. For the question which asked if it was a life assemblage or death assemblage from the graph it was a life assemblage. The question about sediment at the end of the river was that it should have been finer grained at the end than at the beginning.
Was there a question in particular you had a problem with?
Hi there, for the second to last AND last question about the sedimentar structure. What the hell was it? First I put sand dune and I read the question and it said formed by currents. Basically I messed up the question (I put underwater landslide, I remember something along those lines where there is grading as the velocity decreases). And it mentioned why it wouldn’t be formed in a fluvial landscape? Also, the question about andesitic magma and how it is formed followed by the question about why andesitic magma is explosive I believe? I put that subduction occurs so the lithosphere that is denser melts. The lithosphere is composed mainly of andesite which is sulphur rich etc.
Tig Old Bitties
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Vino_M)
Hi there, for the second to last AND last question about the sedimentar structure. What the hell was it? First I put sand dune and I read the question and it said formed by currents. Basically I messed up the question (I put underwater landslide, I remember something along those lines where there is grading as the velocity decreases). And it mentioned why it wouldn’t be formed in a fluvial landscape? Also, the question about andesitic magma and how it is formed followed by the question about why andesitic magma is explosive I believe? I put that subduction occurs so the lithosphere that is denser melts. The lithosphere is composed mainly of andesite which is sulphur rich etc.
Hi For the sedimentary structure I put cross-bedding although the picture wasn't particularly clear. For the second part I think it wasn't fluvial because the grains had hematite staining which happens ONLY in terrestrial environments and normally deserts. Cross-bedding also occurs in both fluvial and terrestrial environments and because the cross bedding was so big it would have to be terrestrial and not fluvial (dune cross bedding is anything bigger than 5cm I believe although that could be wrong - basically dune cross-bedding is bigger). Then I also put how the grains weren't as small as you would expect in fluvial conditions so the energy must have been less and probably the sediment was formed in an aeolian desert environment. I think you are referring to turbidites in this section?

Andesitic lava forms when the basaltic oceanic plate subducts under the larger granitic continental plate. The mantle partially melts the basaltic plate which causes it to rise and force its way through the continental crust. The continental crust is melted and the more silicic minerals mix with the basaltic lava when it is rising forming andesitic magma.

The reason why the volcanoes are more explosive is because they are more viscous there is more energy required to push them to the surface so that when they do there is a sudden release of energy.

Bare in mind I am not an examiner so these could be wrong but it's just what I put
Vino_M
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi For the sedimentary structure I put cross-bedding although the picture wasn't particularly clear. For the second part I think it wasn't fluvial because the grains had hematite staining which happens ONLY in terrestrial environments and normally deserts. Cross-bedding also occurs in both fluvial and terrestrial environments and because the cross bedding was so big it would have to be terrestrial and not fluvial (dune cross bedding is anything bigger than 5cm I believe although that could be wrong - basically dune cross-bedding is bigger). Then I also put how the grains weren't as small as you would expect in fluvial conditions so the energy must have been less and probably the sediment was formed in an aeolian desert environment. I think you are referring to turbidites in this section?

Andesitic lava forms when the basaltic oceanic plate subducts under the larger granitic continental plate. The mantle partially melts the basaltic plate which causes it to rise and force its way through the continental crust. The continental crust is melted and the more silicic minerals mix with the basaltic lava when it is rising forming andesitic magma.

The reason why the volcanoes are more explosive is because they are more viscous there is more energy required to push them to the surface so that when they do there is a sudden release of energy.

Bare in mind I am not an examiner so these could be wrong but it's just what I put
Yes, I meant turbidites but I couldn't remember. Its not right anyway.

I did mention cross bedding as well, and I meant silica not sulphur .

I guess you're doing GL3 tomorrow like me? If so are you prepared?
Tig Old Bitties
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Vino_M)
Yes, I meant turbidites but I couldn't remember. Its not right anyway.

I did mention cross bedding as well, and I meant silica not sulphur .

I guess you're doing GL3 tomorrow like me? If so are you prepared?
No I'm not doing GL3, I was resitting GL1. Good luck though!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (515)
80.59%
Leave (124)
19.41%

Watched Threads