The Student Room Group

B1 Edexcel exam tomorrow.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Alan-K
Yep. That's right. I would expect the mark scheme to tell examiners to look out for the word 'Phototropism' too.

oh pooop why did I not write that... that's so obvious too -_-
found the test on a whole alright but i can honestly see a lot of people not doing great in the country and the grade boundaries being lowered (hopefully) harder part was the first question in my eyes have to do good on on b2 and b3 now. Good Luck to everyone taking the chemistry exam on Thursday.
Original post by Alan-K
But I'm annoyed I put lichens as a negative pollution indicator by accident in the first six mark question.

Edit - My Science teacher found the paper difficult and said it was nasty. A handful of people got question one wrong too, as bacterium was the answer for the first question.

Luckily I got that right then! I did the same thing but then I changed it!
The feeling when you revise for everything except one thing and it comes up in your exam :eek:
Original post by ahannah
oh pooop why did I not write that... that's so obvious too -_-

Don't worry. I didn't write that either :mad:. Just realised when you mentioned about the auxins!
Good luck for chemistry everyone! Chemistry is not too bad for me but I am way less prepared for it compared with biology so who knows aha. It's physics I can't do at all :/
Does anyone have a good answer for the last question about MRSA?
Original post by Orwellianhipster
Does anyone have a good answer for the last question about MRSA?

Firstly I explained what MRSA is.

Then I wrote about the key points in the graph.
- Less people with MRSA at the start of the graph (1995, I think) possibly due to the disease first being contracted by people meaning there would be less resistance for the disease meaning less of it will be passed on to others due to more of it dieng.
-Increase in MRSA (In some year, can't remember) possibly due to the disease being around for longer, meaning it has developed a higher resistance to more anti-biotics and therefore it has a higher chance of spreading to other humans as the resistant genes will be passed on to the new generation of MRSA, because there is a higher chance of survival.
- Decrease in MRSA due to better pharmaceutical products which are newer anti-biotics that the disease has never came across, which will mean more MRSA disease dies, and therefore less can be passed on to other humans.
Original post by ahannah
I have it too... help... I have been revising the carbon and nitrogen cycles specifically, but I am freaking out. Seriously.
(It's nice to know other people around the country have it too though. Pretty cool)

But the test was nothing to do with what we revised :frown:
Reply 69
Who else found this test extremely hard?
Reply 70
Original post by Alan-K
Firstly I explained what MRSA is.

Then I wrote about the key points in the graph.
- Less people with MRSA at the start of the graph (1995, I think) possibly due to the disease first being contracted by people meaning there would be less resistance for the disease meaning less of it will be passed on to others due to more of it dieng.
-Increase in MRSA (In some year, can't remember) possibly due to the disease being around for longer, meaning it has developed a higher resistance to more anti-biotics and therefore it has a higher chance of spreading to other humans as the resistant genes will be passed on to the new generation of MRSA, because there is a higher chance of survival.
- Decrease in MRSA due to better pharmaceutical products which are newer anti-biotics that the disease has never came across, which will mean more MRSA disease dies, and therefore less can be passed on to other humans.

I put that the graph is slowly starting to curve which could mean they are becoming immune to the antiseptic... Obviously got it completely wrong
Reply 71
Original post by FarihaMiah
But the test was nothing to do with what we revised :frown:

I know I was so annoyed -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
Original post by iJaayyy
I put that the graph is slowly starting to curve which could mean they are becoming immune to the antiseptic... Obviously got it completely wrong

Ah yeah... they only started using the antiseptic from 2005 I think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
Original post by ahannah

Posted from TSR Mobile
i just found out that you can get full marks by giving two points and expanding on it.
Reply 74
Original post by FourLegsGood
I thought it went quite well... I was surprised that drugs, the nervous system, the carbon cycle, and the nitrogen cycle didn't come up at all! :redface:

I was hoping those would come up
Original post by ahannah

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please DO NOT get mixed up with anti-septic and anti-biotics.

Anti-septic works OUTSIDE of the body to prevent dieases
Anti-biotics work INSIDE of the body to fight bacteria already in the body.

Therefore MRSA is a disease that is treated by ANTI-BIOTICS.

Edit: I would believe no credit will be given for references to anti-septics as that is wrong. Not sure though seeing I am not an examiner, just a regular Year 10 that just sat the exam!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 76
Original post by Alan-K
Please DO NOT get mixed up with anti-septic and anti-biotics.

Anti-septic works OUTSIDE of the body to prevent dieases
Anti-biotics work INSIDE of the body to fight bacteria already in the body.

Therefore MRSA is a disease that is treated by ANTI-BIOTICS.

Edit: I would believe no credit will be given for references to anti-septics as that is wrong. Not sure though seeing I am not an examiner, just a regular Year 10 that just sat the exam!

Nope... MRSA is resistant to antibiotics, that's why they started using antiseptics (I'm pretty sure that was the whole question)
Original post by ahannah
Nope... MRSA is resistant to antibiotics, that's why they started using antiseptics (I'm pretty sure that was the whole question)

MRSA is resistant to SOME anti-biotics. Hence why you must finish an entire course of anti-biotics to prevent resistance developing.

Quote from NHS Direct
"Treatment for an invasive MRSA infection will involve a course of antibiotic injections"

Quote from BBC Bitesize - Antibiotics
"MRSA is methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus. It is very dangerous because it is resistant to most antibiotics. It is important to avoid over-use of antibiotics, so we can slow down, or stop, the development of other strains of resistant bacteria."
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 78
Original post by Alan-K
MRSA is resistant to SOME anti-biotics. Hence why you must finish an entire course of anti-biotics to prevent resistance developing.

Right, yes... but the question stated that from 2005 they started using antiseptics. Did you do the exam?
Reply 79
Original post by Alan-K

Quote from NHS Direct
"Treatment for an invasive MRSA infection will involve a course of antibiotic injections"

Quote from BBC Bitesize - Antibiotics
"MRSA is methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus. It is very dangerous because it is resistant to most antibiotics. It is important to avoid over-use of antibiotics, so we can slow down, or stop, the development of other strains of resistant bacteria."
the question stated they started to use anti SEPTICS, and even if you state that the cases of MRSA increased and expand on that point can get you 3 marks

Quick Reply

Latest