The Student Room Group

Friend Committed Suicide Today.

I just need to grieve here. I just found out a friend of mine (not a close friend) has just took his own life. His girlfriend was seeing another man on the side, plus he was on the run from the amry and feared that they would lock him up forever. He was 21, he was a good looking lad and would talk to anyone. He was very disciplined but he was such a lovely lad.

When he fell on bad time he would stay at mine and sleep in the spareroom and his last girlfriend also cheated on him because he was in Afghanistan at the time. He never got on with his mum and dad. Me and him shared interests especially in fitness.

I cannot believe that he would do this after I told him months back that I am here if he needs someone to turn to for advice.

He hung himself earlier today. I am crying my eyes out as I type but words cannot express what I feel right now. I wish I could have got to know him more. He was not like any young lad I have ever known. He was very special and now he's gone.

And I cannot help but pciture in my mind, him putting the rope around his neck and taking his life. He had nothing to live for. Why didn't he just go his seargant or something? He couldn't. He spent 2 years with a different name, hiding from the police, I gave him some food and took him in. He was a talented soldier and I can remember training with him once or twice. He was very clever, very sharp.

But he's gone now.:frown: Just don't know what to do with myself. I feel so guilty, but the signs were not there. Another friend of mine said that he was fine a few days ago.

RIP Brian.

I will miss you.

Scroll to see replies

Oh that's terribly sad to hear :frown: it's heartbreaking to know that some people can be so unhappy with their lives that they see no other option. Please don't feel guilty, it's not your fault and it sounds as if you were very kind to him and helped him during some tough times. I can't imagine how you're feeling right now, and I don't have much advice to give, but I really hope you're okay very soon and deal with this difficult time as best as you can. Stay strong :console:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
That is really awful :frown: Try not to blame yourself, just do something to honor his memory.
Reply 3
Original post by Changing Skies
Oh that's terribly sad to hear :frown: it's heartbreaking to know that some people can be so unhappy with their lives that they see no other option. Please don't feel guilty, it's not your fault and it sounds as if you were very kind to him and helped him during some tough times. I can't imagine how you're feeling right now, and I don't have much advice to give, but I really hope you're okay very soon and deal with this difficult time as best as you can. Stay strong :console:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just cannot stop crying. This is terrible. A young life cut short. I was there for him a year ago, and since then we drifted apart only keeping in touch by email. He started dating a new girl and things were going okay except for the fact that he couldn't get a bank account or a job because of the army thing, in case they found out. I felt very sad for him, but I didn't think he would take his own life. So sad. He was such a lovely lad, very handsome. He would run six miles everyday with his dog, he was a fitness fanatic.
Reply 4
Original post by alow
That is really awful :frown: Try not to blame yourself, just do something to honor his memory.

He's in my memory. It is strange to find that someone you knew only for a short while would have such an impact on you. Brian was like that with everyone he met. He had a zest for life despite all problems he was going through. But he did tell me some of the things that went on in army life, the killings and whatnot. so sad he had to go and that he felt he couldn't reach out to anyone.
Martin please.
Reply 6
Sorry to hear about your friend. It sounded like he a tough time. You did what you could by offering him someone to talk to. stay strong.
Reply 7
Someone very close to me tried to commit suicide yesterday also. It's a very sad thing and it's understandably painful. As much as it's not nice to hear, often these things are just out of our control. The world's not always a lovely place - sadly sometimes there's nothing we can do, except grieve and learn to accept. I hope the pain will pass in time.
Reply 8
So sorry to hear this. I recently lost a close friend to suicide too :frown:
Its heartbreaking. I have went through a whole range of emotions from sadness, anger, guilt etc.

I hope you are doing ok.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Martyn*
I just need to grieve here. I just found out a friend of mine (not a close friend) has just took his own life. His girlfriend was seeing another man on the side, plus he was on the run from the amry and feared that they would lock him up forever. He was 21, he was a good looking lad and would talk to anyone. He was very disciplined but he was such a lovely lad.

When he fell on bad time he would stay at mine and sleep in the spareroom and his last girlfriend also cheated on him because he was in Afghanistan at the time. He never got on with his mum and dad. Me and him shared interests especially in fitness.

I cannot believe that he would do this after I told him months back that I am here if he needs someone to turn to for advice.

He hung himself earlier today. I am crying my eyes out as I type but words cannot express what I feel right now. I wish I could have got to know him more. He was not like any young lad I have ever known. He was very special and now he's gone.

And I cannot help but pciture in my mind, him putting the rope around his neck and taking his life. He had nothing to live for. Why didn't he just go his seargant or something? He couldn't. He spent 2 years with a different name, hiding from the police, I gave him some food and took him in. He was a talented soldier and I can remember training with him once or twice. He was very clever, very sharp.

But he's gone now.:frown: Just don't know what to do with myself. I feel so guilty, but the signs were not there. Another friend of mine said that he was fine a few days ago.

RIP Brian.

I will miss you.

Hi Martyn, Sorry to hear about your loss. It's unfortunate, and it is expected to affect you, without doubt. The fact that you feel so strongly tells us about the bond that you both shared. But in the end, you did as much as you could, as sincerely as you could. You were there for him when he couldn't seek the help of others. You did your best, and I'm sure he would've really appreciated your companionship. I don't know what belief system you follow, but it can often help in times of distress and grievance. Know that you could not have done more than you did and that everything that you did for him certainly benefited him. He chose to take his own life; his problems couldn't be completely resolved, but you were responsible for resolving many of them. The fact that he told you bout his relationships shows that he considered you helpful enough to share his burden, that he considered you as someone that lightened it. I hope that you find strength and peace, and that you remember the good times that you shared with him.

ash92
Original post by Martyn*
He's in my memory. It is strange to find that someone you knew only for a short while would have such an impact on you. Brian was like that with everyone he met. He had a zest for life despite all problems he was going through. But he did tell me some of the things that went on in army life, the killings and whatnot. so sad he had to go and that he felt he couldn't reach out to anyone.

Unfortunately, there are many that become troubled due to what they have to experience. I recall that there was a documentary about this matter on the telly, a while ago. Ultimately, he chose to go into the army, and he was troubled by his experiences. You did all that you could.
I am so sorry to hear this Martyn. Please don't blame yourself. You were kind to him and looked after him. It's not your fault he couldn't reach out to you.
Reply 12
It's indeed a tremendous shame for him to commit suicide as there may have been other options available to him.

Though it does sound very precarious. Why was he on the run from the army if he was a talented solider? There is obviously a lot more to his life than you explain OP because one to does commit suicide over this.
Reply 13
This too shall pass.
Original post by Melon girl
I don't think that this thread is appropriate, you could have cut a huge chunk of that up, instead you're bigging up your ego and you're actually sharing very intimate details about this individual. May his soul rest in peace.

Agreed with this, it feels like this thread was posted to highlight the fact to everyone the OP did things for him.

If a man has killed himself due to personal problems it's not really fair to then start talking about these problems all over the internet especially if it later makes the news (at least local news) that a former soldier committed suicide and people can identify him from this post, especially if there were things that he obviously didn't want to be public knowledge if he was on the run and having to use alternative identities.

IMO this thread should be deleted.
Reply 15
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Agreed with this, it feels like this thread was posted to highlight the fact to everyone the OP did things for him.

If a man has killed himself due to personal problems it's not really fair to then start talking about these problems all over the internet especially if it later makes the news (at least local news) that a former soldier committed suicide and people can identify him from this post, especially if there were things that he obviously didn't want to be public knowledge if he was on the run and having to use alternative identities.

IMO this thread should be deleted.

I've got no medium by which I can express my grief apart from yelling my eyes out. I don't know how many people knew this young lad but I am guessing his choice to go in the army probably meant all his friends were in the army. He never got on with his parents. I took him in and a bond was made, I kept in touch with him only by email but I couldn't see him because we lived more than 50 miles apart and I was working at the time. I knew he was going through problems, huge problems, and he had no-one to turn to. The lad suffered in silence. And I never asked him before he took his life how he was. I'll never forgive myself.

And as for those saying that this thread was created to get green gems. Rubbish. Go crawl under your rock.
Reply 16
Original post by Yasmin25
So sorry to hear this. I recently lost a close friend to suicide too :frown:
Its heartbreaking. I have went through a whole range of emotions from sadness, anger, guilt etc.

I hope you are doing ok.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm coping but sometimes I break down and cry because I can see him in my head, and whenever I hear Enya's Hope is a Place. I wish I could swap places with him. He believed in me, my ability when no-one else would.
Original post by Martyn*
I'm coping but sometimes I break down and cry because I can see him in my head, and whenever I hear Enya's Hope is a Place. I wish I could swap places with him. He believed in me, my ability when no-one else would.

I'm so sorry to hear about this :sad:
Sounds like he was carrying some war-related traumas? Death, killing, abuse, etc??

Its very sad.

Maybe get in touch with his family so you go to his family.

Might give you some peace that you need, as currently you're grieving alone. If you grieve with others who also loved him, might make it easier.

Best wishes.
Reply 19
He was an amazing friend and you will always value that. He is now at peace with himself and not afraid of the army or police. He's most likely, up there, urging you not to worry. I'm sorry for your loss.
RIP Brian.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending