Anyone doing Games Technology/Programming? Watch

jaetpa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Just wondering if anyone was, I know it's not the most popular course :rolleyes:
JSHalford
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am, along with (hopefully) 2 other people i know
jaetpa
Rep:
?
Ah, OK. Take it you guys did A-Levels; what did you do, and how did they go? Mine are Maths/Further Maths/Physics, and I am definitely not finding them easy xD
Escavar
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am on this course, went for the college route.

any idea what the main language for programming will be? In college I was using Visual Basic but I'm pretty sure this will not be the language used.
silvershard
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
doing Games Technology this year, I'm assuming the languages used will be variations of everything since I think we explore a wide range of engines to work with, not entirely sure though since I never went to any open days -_- I probably should have now that I think about it...
Escavar
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by silvershard)
doing Games Technology this year, I'm assuming the languages used will be variations of everything since I think we explore a wide range of engines to work with, not entirely sure though since I never went to any open days -_- I probably should have now that I think about it...
Haha yes I agree with this! I didn't go also. Might just look at java, c# or c++
jaetpa
Rep:
?
(Original post by silvershard)
Same...just never got around to it. Oh well. Anyway, yeah C++ sounds like a reasonable assumption to make, being an industry standard and everything. I've also heard that it's not the best choice of first language though, so I'm expecting something before it. And judging by the fact I've seen them use Xbox 360s in videos, I think C# might be a good call too.
DomS96
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm on Games Tech this year with 5-6 other people I know, choosing between tech and programming was pretty hard -__-
Escavar
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jaetpa)
Same...just never got around to it. Oh well. Anyway, yeah C++ sounds like a reasonable assumption to make, being an industry standard and everything. I've also heard that it's not the best choice of first language though, so I'm expecting something before it. And judging by the fact I've seen them use Xbox 360s in videos, I think C# might be a good call too.
Thanks for the info , I'm starting to look at c# reading the yellow book and I've ordered head first c#.

Yeah I have read somewhere about c++ being the major language, but as I am learning and I've only used Visual Basic I think I'll stick with c#.
jaetpa
Rep:
?
(Original post by DomS96)
I'm on Games Tech this year with 5-6 other people I know, choosing between tech and programming was pretty hard -__-
I'm under the impression you can switch from one to the other at the start of the second year, as they have a common first year?

Also, do you and these other 5-6 people use TSR much? Would be nice to talk with people doing this course in advance :P
DomS96
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jaetpa)
I'm under the impression you can switch from one to the other at the start of the second year, as they have a common first year?

Also, do you and these other 5-6 people use TSR much? Would be nice to talk with people doing this course in advance :P
No they don't really know about TSR , I might get them involved and they can join in. Would be good to get a few of us talking.
Victor96
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey

Just trying to get all the BU Games Tech & Programming 2014 students together so join the group on FB.
valar morghulis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Im doing Games Technology
Aye, There are a few people in my college class that are studying the same.

hmu the fb page in pm bro

Edit: If its this page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/253114604709504/
I literally joined it just now
Victor96
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by valar morghulis)
Im doing Games Technology
Aye, There are a few people in my college class that are studying the same.

hmu the fb page in pm bro

Edit: If its this page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/253114604709504/
I literally joined it just now
Cool, send the group to whoever u know doing Games Tech, links below.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/289049837964405/

I've created a separate page for just the 2014 ppl, still waiting to be accepted to that group u send above.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Feb '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 9 Mar '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 13 Mar '19

Do you have a role model?