AQA sociology AS/A2 revision help Watch

rosiex96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm retaking education at AS and have media and crime and deviance for A2, exam bored AQA. I'm the type of person who stresses loads and gets upset. I find it hard to learn things and I was wondering if anyone knows any good ways of revising because I struggle to keep the info in my head long enough
arctichelen_
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ew I feel your pain, I'm retaking education and doing crime and deviance but doing beliefs in society instead of media!
How are you revising for education? Posters/flashcards?
We were basically given a booklet of all the topics (theories, gender and ethnicity differences etc) and just wrote my own notes off of them

For crime and devience I have done detailed posters and literally is like death there is too much to learn which is not good!
leonneoneill
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am resitting Education and doing Crime and Deviance too (only i'm doing Power and Politics instead of Media) ! It is so stressful, I'm trying to find the energy to start revision right now!
I have started making mind maps for all my units from the notes my teacher give us. But I also got these revision guides for Education and Crime and Deviance from Amazon. They are so good, everything is in the books that you need to know and they aren't too overwhelming like the textbooks that schools hand out. I'm not sure if there is one for media, but you can always check it out. I'll give you the links for the two I got.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Student-Supp...cation+collins

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Student-Supp...viance+collins

I think Amazon are probably sold out of the C&D book at the minute, but Easons or Waterstones should have it (maybe even check out your local library). Like I said they are great for revision!
Also learn the names they are so important!
Sometimes I have to write things out over and over again for them to stick, so you could try that. And use flashcards to test yourself, but don't use them as your only source of revision, because you cannot get a lot of information on one card
sophv2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm the same, resitting education and doing C&D and Beliefs in Society.
Differences in achievement have come up quite often (on AQA they have have anyway) so I'm hoping its not that this year!
Anyone have an idea of what their teachers think could come up?
My school doesn't do the education unit anymore because they swapped to OCR after I finished year 12 so I have no teachers teaching education because he left at Christmas! D:
rosiex96
Rep:
?
i am revising for education by doing past questions and stuff. I dont really have many notes and especially research methods which ive forgotten all about!
(Original post by arctichelen_)
Ew I feel your pain, I'm retaking education and doing crime and deviance but doing beliefs in society instead of media!
How are you revising for education? Posters/flashcards?
We were basically given a booklet of all the topics (theories, gender and ethnicity differences etc) and just wrote my own notes off of them

For crime and devience I have done detailed posters and literally is like death there is too much to learn which is not good!
rosiex96
Rep:
?
thankyou, i am using a CGP revision guide for all of my topics which is okay i just cant seem to find anything that helps me to revise and get the info to stick
(Original post by leonneoneill)
I am resitting Education and doing Crime and Deviance too (only i'm doing Power and Politics instead of Media) ! It is so stressful, I'm trying to find the energy to start revision right now!
I have started making mind maps for all my units from the notes my teacher give us. But I also got these revision guides for Education and Crime and Deviance from Amazon. They are so good, everything is in the books that you need to know and they aren't too overwhelming like the textbooks that schools hand out. I'm not sure if there is one for media, but you can always check it out. I'll give you the links for the two I got.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Student-Supp...cation+collins

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Student-Supp...viance+collins

I think Amazon are probably sold out of the C&D book at the minute, but Easons or Waterstones should have it (maybe even check out your local library). Like I said they are great for revision!
Also learn the names they are so important!
Sometimes I have to write things out over and over again for them to stick, so you could try that. And use flashcards to test yourself, but don't use them as your only source of revision, because you cannot get a lot of information on one card
rosiex96
Rep:
?
i have no idea on what could come up sorry :/ but im using the CGP AQA revision guide which is good
(Original post by sophv2)
I'm the same, resitting education and doing C&D and Beliefs in Society.
Differences in achievement have come up quite often (on AQA they have have anyway) so I'm hoping its not that this year!
Anyone have an idea of what their teachers think could come up?
My school doesn't do the education unit anymore because they swapped to OCR after I finished year 12 so I have no teachers teaching education because he left at Christmas! D:
leonneoneill
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by rosiex96)
thankyou, i am using a CGP revision guide for all of my topics which is okay i just cant seem to find anything that helps me to revise and get the info to stick
I find that mind maps are really helping for the Education unit, because there is not as much to learn as there is in the C&D units
arctichelen_
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've been told that the research methods WORTH revising are questionnaires, interviews (un/structured and structured) and participant observation (covert and overt) and their strengths/weaknesses but we all know what exam boards are like, they like to give us ones they haven't in the last 5 years!

Then when you know the theory behind the methods, all you gotta do is put them into the context.
Plus revise the little things about research methods (what objectivity is, longitudinal studies, Hawthorne effet etc)
sophv2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just seen this on a different thread

"My teacher used to be an AQA Education Examiner and he said that a Gender/Ethnicity/Social Class question or Marxist/Functionalist question always come up as a 12 or 20"

Seriously hoping it's on Functionalism or Marxism!
aliceatk95
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by rosiex96)
I'm retaking education at AS and have media and crime and deviance for A2, exam bored AQA. I'm the type of person who stresses loads and gets upset. I find it hard to learn things and I was wondering if anyone knows any good ways of revising because I struggle to keep the info in my head long enough
Hey I'm doing exactly the same as you and I get dead stressed also! However I have these revision books called "Succeed as AS sociology" and "succeed at A2 sociology", they're both by Rob Webb and Keith Trobe and they're absolutely fantastic in breaking down all the information and putting them in a simpler form for you... they also have hints and tips on analysis and evaluation. However, they do not cover the media topic which is unfortunate but they do education, crime and deviance and all the research methods you need just a suggestion x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (44)
12.12%
Yes - a food allergy (39)
10.74%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (11)
3.03%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
2.48%
No (260)
71.63%

Watched Threads