The Student Room Group

Is Artificial intelligence possible?

Eh, any chance of Artificial intelligence being possible?
Yes.
It exists now. Sussex Uni is famous for it.
It depends how one defines artificial intelligence, do you mean:

1) something that is able to perform basic tasks and interact like a human in doing so.

2) a rational agent (we are rational agents)

This is more a philosophical question, as shown above (1) has already been done, however can a machine be conscious?

If you are a physicalist then the answer is yes; the brain is just a computer so I could be written in binary. A dualist would say that we have a "soul" and so we could never create an artificial rational agent.
Reply 4
Probably. I doubt it will be for a very long time though.
Original post by watchmen98
Eh, any chance of Artificial intelligence being possible?

I think we sould improve your inteligence before we advance AI's.
Yes, of course it is. The brain is able to perform calculations (ie, how to catch a ball), control responses (ie, conversation) and retain data. It is only a matter of time before a computer is capable of doing so at a comparable level to humans.

Original post by the other banana
I think we sould improve your inteligence before we advance AI's.

You can't slate someone's intelligence when incorrectly using an apostrophe.
Yes it's been about for 30 years or so. But don't forget as the name suggests it is totally 'Artificial', not human intelligence. It was after all designed and built by human beings, so it is constrained in what it can do. As most of you are probably aware the functionality of a computer is based around microprocessor(s), which are mainly carry out calculations, logical operations, decoding program instructions (again written by human beings). Also inside computers are support hardware chips which interact with other hardware and are designed to make the computer function overall. ie Memory, read only memory, hard disks, or solid-state memory, power supplies..need I go on? Alan Turing was a leading figure who had such 'vision' that he could envisage the 'programmable computer of today'. So don't think for one minute that computers are inertly intelligent, they 'appear' intelligent because they can carry out instructions from programs that human beings have written as mentioned earlier.
Maybe what your question is really asking, will computers ever become more intelligent or have the same properties as human beings?I say No. Why? because they can never be made with consciousness that human beings possess. So no-matter how many billion $s are poured into research & development analyzing the human brain, the scientists will never physically find the consciousness which makes us what we are..truly intelligent. The nearest that scientists will ever get to that is a man made form of Artificial Consciousness which will be no rival to human consciousness.
Now all you enthusiastic scientists, students, intellectuals & people whoever out there reading this article, I am now asking you a question...Why can human type consciousness never be generated, by humans? I await your answers, and it's not really too difficult to figure out as I have done it even though I am an 'Aspie'.

Quick Reply

Latest