The Student Room Group

Changing School for Sixth Form? HELP!

I'm currently in year 11 at a fairly mediocre school. I'm predicted to get pretty high grades (As and A*s) and I've got conditional offers at all 4 sixth forms I applied to:
1. A very good grammar school, super high standards, but 1.5 hours journey realistically
2. A good state school, very large intake, about 40 mins-1 hour journey.
3. A decent state school, probably better than my current one, 20-30 mind by bike/bus.
4. My current school, ok sixth form, 20 minute bus/cycle.

I have no idea what to do. I like my current school, and the teachers I would have are good. I know I can do most of it myself, because that's what I've done for the last 5 years to get myself to where I am. However, I feel like a change could be beneficial. Some of my friends are moving, some staying. I don't know anyone at the others.

With only two weeks left, It feels very strange that I might not come back to this school, as I've grown quite attached to it,(I get on really well with the teachers, atmosphere, choir etc.) but I'm not sure if its really good enough to stay for, (the sixth form could end up being really different) especially regarding support for uni applications etc, (medical societies are non- existent and they send about 1 person every two years to med school)

All the people in the year above me who moved seem happy, but those who stayed don't have any serious complaints.

Is it worth the stress of new teachers and people and buildings? Is a change good? Did you miss your old school?

Thanks!
(Sorry for the essay!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by e.swift
I'm currently in year 11 at a fairly mediocre school. I'm predicted to get pretty high grades (As and A*s) and I've got conditional offers at all 4 sixth forms I applied to:
1. A very good grammar school, super high standards, but 1.5 hours journey realistically
2. A good state school, very large intake, about 40 mins-1 hour journey.
3. A decent state school, probably better than my current one, 20-30 mind by bike/bus.
4. My current school, ok sixth form, 20 minute bus/cycle.

I have no idea what to do. I like my current school, and the teachers I would have are good. I know I can do most of it myself, because that's what I've done for the last 5 years to get myself to where I am. However, I feel like a change could be beneficial. Some of my friends are moving, some staying. I don't know anyone at the others.

With only two weeks left, It feels very strange that I might not come back to this school, as I've grown quite attached to it,(I get on really well with the teachers, atmosphere, choir etc.) but I'm not sure if its really good enough to stay for, (the sixth form could end up being really different) especially regarding support for uni applications etc, (medical societies are non- existent and they send about 1 person every two years to med school)

All the people in the year above me who moved seem happy, but those who stayed don't have any serious complaints.

Is it worth the stress of new teachers and people and buildings? Is a change good? Did you miss your old school?

Thanks!
(Sorry for the essay!)
Posted from TSR Mobile

It's probably best to trust your gut feeling with this. There are so many different factors and they have a different importance to every individual person, so nobody can tell you which one to take. For me personally, anything more than a 30 minute commute would drive me crazy so I'd go for options 3 or 4, especially since your own intelligence is much more important than the reputation of the school. However, I'm sure there are plenty of people here who would disagree with that. As you've mentioned, if things like Medical Societies are important to you, your current school is clearly not the best option.

I personally can't judge if change is good since I stayed at my secondary school, but all of the new external students in my sixth form are totally settles in (possibly more so than the internals, most of the school council is made of external students!).
Reply 2
Original post by Chlorophile
It's probably best to trust your gut feeling with this. There are so many different factors and they have a different importance to every individual person, so nobody can tell you which one to take. For me personally, anything more than a 30 minute commute would drive me crazy so I'd go for options 3 or 4, especially since your own intelligence is much more important than the reputation of the school. However, I'm sure there are plenty of people here who would disagree with that. As you've mentioned, if things like Medical Societies are important to you, your current school is clearly not the best option.

I personally can't judge if change is good since I stayed at my secondary school, but all of the new external students in my sixth form are totally settles in (possibly more so than the internals, most of the school council is made of external students!).

Thanks! Still not sure, but its good to here an opinion :tongue:
I changed schools for sixth form because my secondary school didn't have a sixth form and while the school wasn't very good, I got on with the teachers and got good GCSE's because I worked hard. When I changed to better school for sixth form I assumed I would do even better with the extra support but I found that the teaching styles were very different and difficult to get used to which hindered my performance in the first term quite a bit.
If you're happy where you are, I'd say stay there. You don't need the extra support if you're willing to do the research yourself and there are always outside companies (I don't know if connections are still going) who can help you with applications. Don't fall for the hype of better school= better education. It comes down to how hard you work.
I moved and I'm glad I did, even though the journey is sometimes over an hour and a half. The sixth form at my old school had only just been set up and I didn't want to be in the first year there. Both my old and my new school are very good, so that didn't impact my decision, but I know that I made the right choice because I've made so many new friends and it didn't take long at all to settle in. Happy deciding!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending