The Student Room Group

Edexcel C1/C2 June 2014

Scroll to see replies

the exam was no harder than any of the past papers and it was all in the spec why is there a dumb petition
Does anyone know how many marks I would have lost for completing the square 3y^2-9y+18=0 then getting one result for x by using logs? I wrote down y=3^x but made stupid mistake in equation hence above. Will they give ft marks if correct? Thanks
Feeling so much happier after seeing that!
I counted a definite 58 marks (possible errors in memory could bring it down a maximum of a few). Hopefully I got a mark or three on top of that for my working on the area of the shape and the tan trig question. Really hopefully I'll sneak 80 ums on this paper :biggrin:
Really ought to sleep for chemistry tomorrow now though... Dam adrenaline!!
Original post by rapunzelsa
the exam was no harder than any of the past papers and it was all in the spec why is there a dumb petition

Might be due to the new one year one exam rule.
On the geometric series question does trial and error get full marks? It doesn't specify you can't so surely it should? Though I am aware they do expect you to know part of the question that isn't there sometimes...
Original post by SpartanN7
On the geometric series question does trial and error get full marks? It doesn't specify you can't so surely it should? Though I am aware they do expect you to know part of the question that isn't there sometimes...

I tried trial and error for homework exercises from the textbook for my teacher - I got 0 marks each time for those answers, with a big, belittling, red-inked comment of 'NO MARKS FOR TRIAL AND ERROR'.

It might have been a scare tactic to just learn the maths and apply it, or the fact that t&e genuinely gets no marks. Either way, I never t&e'd again.
Original post by NikolaT
I tried trial and error for homework exercises from the textbook for my teacher - I got 0 marks each time for those answers, with a big, belittling, red-inked comment of 'NO MARKS FOR TRIAL AND ERROR'.

It might have been a scare tactic to just learn the maths and apply it, or the fact that t&e genuinely gets no marks. Either way, I never t&e'd again.

Yeah, I was afraid of this. I tried to do it properly but it kept failing and I ended up just trial and erroring it and moving on. My method was correct though for my initial attempts, hopefully I'll at least get marks for that... Even if it is half crossed out :rolleyes:
Original post by bellend1
I think you put your inequality sign the wrong way round. I had n > 43.19 so it had to be at least 44 (needed to be a whole number).

Oh jesus I'm a retard, for some reason in my ****ed up world of maths 0.5-160 = 155.5 so my answer at the end was n=27.

Oh well, hopefully I'll get method marks later on as that was my only mistake
Original post by chrisdb793
Oh jesus I'm a retard, for some reason in my ****ed up world of maths 0.5-160 = 155.5 so my answer at the end was n=27.

Oh well, hopefully I'll get method marks later on as that was my only mistake

Unlucky m8.

I didn't know which way round to put the inequality so i waited till I got the answer and filled them into my working afterwards
6root5 squared + 4^2
Reply 610
what would happen if you timesed both fractions by nine? ( don't know why i did this?!)
Original post by Tazza10
what would happen if you timesed both fractions by nine? ( don't know why i did this?!)

On question 4? Did you put the correct answer down first?
Original post by Sataris
Logs did come up... I love the outrage over this though :lol:

it did? well that's how u know I failed hahahaha
Original post by rainbow321
it did? well that's how u know I failed hahahaha

Oh dear :redface: It was in the series question by the way
The area of the triangle, was it something like 52/3

Quick Reply

Latest