The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Accommodation - Uni Accommodation or some place else

I want to find out which is the better option, the accommodation offered by the university or some place else like IQ or Unite etc?
Original post by AbdulRI
I want to find out which is the better option, the accommodation offered by the university or some place else like IQ or Unite etc?

university accommodation for sure! IQ and stuff might seem nicer but tbh it'll probably be quite lonely and you will miss out on the opportunity to make friends, live with loads and LOADS of students and just first year life in general! You can also pick the halls of residence based on what you want - some of the uni halls are REALLY nice! what are you looking for in terms of accommodation?
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Original post by tropical_girl
university accommodation for sure! IQ and stuff might seem nicer but tbh it'll probably be quite lonely and you will miss out on the opportunity to make friends, live with loads and LOADS of students and just first year life in general! You can also pick the halls of residence based on what you want - some of the uni halls are REALLY nice! what are you looking for in terms of accommodation?

Thank you very much for your insight on my concerns. I have currently applied for accommodation at Tennis Court, Elgar, Liberty, Jarratt, Victoria and Mason. All ensuites. I have an inclination towards Liberty and Jarratt halls. What would your preferences be to be the best halls? And is the extra cost for ensuite accommodation worth it?
Original post by AbdulRI
Thank you very much for your insight on my concerns. I have currently applied for accommodation at Tennis Court, Elgar, Liberty, Jarratt, Victoria and Mason. All ensuites. I have an inclination towards Liberty and Jarratt halls. What would your preferences be to be the best halls? And is the extra cost for ensuite accommodation worth it?

In my opinion, ensuite accommodation tends to be a bit less social because people are not forced to interact and there's a higher chance you won't be as close to your flatmates. That being said, the rooms are lovely and it is something you have to weigh up - would you rather prioritise a more social flat with less personal space or a less social one with more personal space. You could also go into an ensuite flat and make loads of friends, but in general its less likely. I currently live in Mason and the room is quite nice but DEFINITELY not worth the money! The wardrobe door and bathroom door are joint - it's ridiculously stupid - and the kitchen layout is so anti-social.... i also know that quite a few people are unhappy in it. I think Tennis Courts is the most lively and social but non-ensuite TC is more social than ensuite. That being said, the ensuite TC rooms are really spacious and well designed! Jarratt and victoria are both targeted more at older years so it will be a lot quieter, less social and they are both out of the way. You will also miss out on the unique fresher experience. Liberty is quite fun from what i've heard but i've never seen the rooms and the reality is that it is away from the main first year accommodation areas so going to pres etc will be more difficult. Most liberty people i know seem quite close to each other because they're far away from everyone else though so i would say that's a pretty good option! Have you looked at pritchatts park? they're not ensuite but some of the flats can be quite nice + have cleaners! xx
Reply 4
Original post by tropical_girl
In my opinion, ensuite accommodation tends to be a bit less social because people are not forced to interact and there's a higher chance you won't be as close to your flatmates. That being said, the rooms are lovely and it is something you have to weigh up - would you rather prioritise a more social flat with less personal space or a less social one with more personal space. You could also go into an ensuite flat and make loads of friends, but in general its less likely. I currently live in Mason and the room is quite nice but DEFINITELY not worth the money! The wardrobe door and bathroom door are joint - it's ridiculously stupid - and the kitchen layout is so anti-social.... i also know that quite a few people are unhappy in it. I think Tennis Courts is the most lively and social but non-ensuite TC is more social than ensuite. That being said, the ensuite TC rooms are really spacious and well designed! Jarratt and victoria are both targeted more at older years so it will be a lot quieter, less social and they are both out of the way. You will also miss out on the unique fresher experience. Liberty is quite fun from what i've heard but i've never seen the rooms and the reality is that it is away from the main first year accommodation areas so going to pres etc will be more difficult. Most liberty people i know seem quite close to each other because they're far away from everyone else though so i would say that's a pretty good option! Have you looked at pritchatts park? they're not ensuite but some of the flats can be quite nice + have cleaners! xx

Wow, I'll definitely rethink my accommodation application then. I don't want accommodation to be a complete rip off. I want it to be fun and enjoyable and more social. Thank you very much :smile:
Yeah tbh I would agree with what is said above, you will naturally feel more included living in uni accomm with other uob students despite IQ accomm actually being nice :smile:
Feel free to read my post (halfway down) or blog in general about uni life and accomm

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2438693&page=2

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending