Turn on thread page Beta

How rampant is brand-consciousness where you're from? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Off late I've been having to take care of myself and with little money this means settling for cheaper, less known brands. Honestly I do feel conscious of unpopular brands but then again I'm not exactly very confident and charismatic as a person. I would gladly wear something with no visible branding, but I detest the idea of being asked what I'm wearing. It did happen to me once and it felt quite offensive.

So what are you thoughts on brand-image and how do you feel about the matter in your social context?

ReputationRep:
    Who the hell actually asks other people what they're wearing? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Seems to me like everyone is obsessed with buying mainstream brands, just so they can become part of the bandwagon. My personal opinion is that if something is made to a very high standard, it doesn't matter what brand it is. Usually, cheap brands are of lower quality, and more expensive goods are better quality, but that isn't always the case. You shouldn't let price alone dictate your choice of what you're going to buy. Luckily, I've never found that I have to try hard to fit in with any sort of group, I don't usually like to jump on the bandwagon, only if I want to, not because I want to be like everyone else.

I'm not saying you shouldn't spend a little on yourself. I'm just saying, don't just go for brands, go for quality.

ReputationRep:
    Really classy people these days parade bargain hunting and good value as a virtue. Style on a budget is for winners. Anything with a logo is considered really tacky in some quarters.

ReputationRep:
    People don't really care about brands around here.
    At least not to a degree that I would notice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Burns)
    Off late I've been having to take care of myself and with little money this means settling for cheaper, less known brands. Honestly I do feel conscious of unpopular brands but then again I'm not exactly very confident and charismatic as a person. I would gladly wear something with no visible branding, but I detest the idea of being asked what I'm wearing. It did happen to me once and it felt quite offensive.

So what are you thoughts on brand-image and how do you feel about the matter in your social context?
    I don't buy branded goods, I never have, I don't really know anyone who thinks about it.

Even the slightest bit of knowledge about economics teaches you that branded goods are worse value for money.

This applies to food, clothes, whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilem)
    Who the hell actually asks other people what they're wearing? :confused:
    Sadly, a couple of mutual friends that are pricks

ReputationRep:
    Interesting perspectives, it seems that this doesn't exist in most places, it really doesn't even at college but there's always a few odd apples.

@cole-slaw- Yes, everyone is well aware of the economics bit, sometimes though, our egos still compel one to do silly things.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.