AQA English Literature B: Friday 16th May 2014

Watch
Samwise17
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I have this exam on Friday and I'm getting quite nervous! Anyone else taking this exam? Any tips or advise?
LazyBazooka
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah, I'm terrified - this'll be the hardest exam I'm taking by far.

At the moment I'm trying to know all of the Gatsby chapters inside out so I can be prepared any chapter that comes up for the exam, although I'm having trouble with chapters 6 and 9 and those have never come up before, so they might this time.
privatestudent
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have a question about the exam re: the open book format. What are we allowed to bring in? Is it just the poetry anthology or can we bring in the books as well?
Samwise17
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
We can have the books with us and the anthology but for my school, they provided 'clean' copies which haven't got any notes or annotations in them!
edgarcats
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm terrified but I have Thursday free to dedicate to hard-core revision of my texts. I haven't finished reading one of the novels yet! I'm planning on doing either Auden or Enduring Love in Section A, what is everyone else considering?
privatestudent
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ok.Thanks. So definitely clean copies of both two books and the poetry are allowed? I'm doing this exam as a private candidate and don't get told these sorts of things by anyone.
XxMizzChocolatexX
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by privatestudent)
Ok.Thanks. So definitely clean copies of both two books and the poetry are allowed? I'm doing this exam as a private candidate and don't get told these sorts of things by anyone.
Yeah you are definitely allowed to have a clean copy of all your texts. It's only until you get to A2 when you will have to remember the quotes as it will be a closed book exam.
sarcastic-sal
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by edgarcats)
I'm terrified but I have Thursday free to dedicate to hard-core revision of my texts. I haven't finished reading one of the novels yet! I'm planning on doing either Auden or Enduring Love in Section A, what is everyone else considering?
Not even going to touch the novels in Section A unless the Gatsby argue question is really good. Frost or Rossetti for me, leaning towards Frost unless the likes of The Ax Helve or A Considerable Speck are named. Definitely not doing Enduring Love though, feel I know the book as a whole better than individual chapters (plus it's harder to focus on structure in a chapter of a book I think).
edgarcats
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sarcastic-sal)
Not even going to touch the novels in Section A unless the Gatsby argue question is really good. Frost or Rossetti for me, leaning towards Frost unless the likes of The Ax Helve or A Considerable Speck are named. Definitely not doing Enduring Love though, feel I know the book as a whole better than individual chapters (plus it's harder to focus on structure in a chapter of a book I think).
I feel the same way about novels but the two poems most likely to come up for Auden are difficult to write about. I guess it all depends on what the Section B question is. I wish I'd been able to study Gatsby, it's one of my favourite novels although it doing it as one of your texts probably takes the enjoyment out of it.
sarcastic-sal
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I feel the same way about novels but the two poems most likely to come up for Auden are difficult to write about. I guess it all depends on what the Section B question is. I wish I'd been able to study Gatsby, it's one of my favourite novels although it doing it as one of your texts probably takes the enjoyment out of it.
Are the Auden poems allegorical? Some of the Frost poems would be awful if they came up but he's only been on the spec since last year so they've only named two of the nine poems.

Actually studying Gatsby hasn't been too bad, but I think that's because I read it about 6 months before starting it in lessons and so when I read it again I appreciated both the story and all of the bits and pieces studying it in detail brings. So glad we did it though, the alternative was Small Island. I couldn't even get past chapter 10 I was that bored
carrellii
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm absolutely terrified for this exam, I have philosophy on the afternoon as well so my time management sucks at the moment.

I studied Gatsby, Tennyson, Browning and The Kite Runner, I am definitely leaving the novels til section B, I'm going to do Browning for section A if I can help it but it just depends on the questions :confused:
edgarcats
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Are the Auden poems allegorical? Some of the Frost poems would be awful if they came up but he's only been on the spec since last year so they've only named two of the nine poems.

Actually studying Gatsby hasn't been too bad, but I think that's because I read it about 6 months before starting it in lessons and so when I read it again I appreciated both the story and all of the bits and pieces studying it in detail brings. So glad we did it though, the alternative was Small Island. I couldn't even get past chapter 10 I was that bored
It's less that there allegorical and more that a couple don't have a clear sense of story so it's difficult to relate method to story.
My other novel is The Kite Runner which I'm not fond of but I quite like Enduring Love unlike the majority of my class.
sarcastic-sal
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's less that there allegorical and more that a couple don't have a clear sense of story so it's difficult to relate method to story.
My other novel is The Kite Runner which I'm not fond of but I quite like Enduring Love unlike the majority of my class.
I could see why that'd be tricky, is it that you tend to lean towards interpreting because it's so ambiguous?
My teacher tells us for section a part i to literally just write about the words on the page and nothing more, which I find is useful for Frost's allegorical poems
edgarcats
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I could see why that'd be tricky, is it that you tend to lean towards interpreting because it's so ambiguous?
My teacher tells us for section a part i to literally just write about the words on the page and nothing more, which I find is useful for Frost's allegorical poems
Yep, I start to side-track into AO3 and lose marks. The benefit of novels is that it is usually easier to keep track of the story so I may end up doing McEwan anyway.
sarcastic-sal
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yep, I start to side-track into AO3 and lose marks. The benefit of novels is that it is usually easier to keep track of the story so I may end up doing McEwan anyway.
If you know you're going to accidentally go into AO3, I would stick with McEwan if the poem you don't like comes up. How likely is it to come up, is it only one of a few left unnamed?
edgarcats
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you know you're going to accidentally go into AO3, I would stick with McEwan if the poem you don't like comes up. How likely is it to come up, is it only one of a few left unnamed?
Pretty likely as it's one of two that haven't come up. Only issue is that McEwan debate questions are brutal sometimes...I really hate this exam
sarcastic-sal
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Pretty likely as it's one of two that haven't come up. Only issue is that McEwan debate questions are brutal sometimes...I really hate this exam
McEwan is just awful for context too, literally the only thing is his literary context of postmodernism (which you have to be careful to not make sound like AO2).

Only consolation is the grade boundaries are really low and you only need like B4 B4 B3 to get an A.
edgarcats
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
McEwan is just awful for context too, literally the only thing is his literary context of postmodernism (which you have to be careful to not make sound like AO2).

Only consolation is the grade boundaries are really low and you only need like B4 B4 B3 to get an A.
Yep, the grade boundaries are proof of how hard the exam is. I did well on my coursework so hopefully I can get a good A. Good luck for friday
sarcastic-sal
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yep, the grade boundaries are proof of how hard the exam is. I did well on my coursework so hopefully I can get a good A. Good luck for friday
What did you get? My coursework went well too, I got 56.
I think it's because it's so picky about where you have to put certain things and you can't just write a good essay for fear of putting something in the wrong place and being marked down. I think I've cracked how to do it though, seem to be getting b6's now good luck!
edgarcats
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What did you get? My coursework went well too, I got 56.
I think it's because it's so picky about where you have to put certain things and you can't just write a good essay for fear of putting something in the wrong place and being marked down. I think I've cracked how to do it though, seem to be getting b6's now good luck!
I got 59 although it was a long process of re-drafting till it was as good as it was ever going to be.
I haven't got a B6 yet in any of my essays, I'm probably not evaluating properly and I have a tendency to lean into other AOs accidentally. Hope it goes better on the day than my mocks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.58%
Uncertainty around my education (35)
10.97%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (37)
11.6%
Lack of purpose or motivation (46)
14.42%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
5.33%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (14)
4.39%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (30)
9.4%
Financial worries (22)
6.9%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (14)
4.39%
Exposure to negative news/social media (19)
5.96%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
1.88%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (34)
10.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (24)
7.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed